question about HR and exercise

Options
I don't have a HRM (yet) but my elliptical at home has one of those little hearts on the board where you put your thumb to get your HR. I just read on a website (while researching HRMs) that your HR is 220 minus your age (http://www.polarusa.com/us-en/about_polar/who_we_are/why_train_with_a_heart_rate_monitor). So my HR should be around 191 but today while on the elliptical at least half that 45 minutes my HR was around 200-216, so my question is -

Is that bad that I was so much higher ? I was pretty out of breath but I felt like I probably could have pushed a tiny bit harder - although I probably wouldn't be able to move after! I don't want to kill myself, just lose the flab that has taken over my once normal weight-body.

Replies

• fraiseroja
    fraiseroja Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    My heart rate is always higher when I am running. I think it's fine as long as you feel fine. You might want to ask your doctor.
  • Saaa56
    Saaa56 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    The heart rate that you get when you take 220 minus your age is your theoretical maximum. Many machines don't do a good job measuring heart rates. When you get your polar heart rate monitor you will likely see a difference (lower). Your exercise should be 60 to 90 % of your max depending on what you want to accomplish.
    Good luck
  • SamiRose
    SamiRose Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    here's the thing.... the problem with that method is that it is not induvisualized at all!!

220-age is all that it know to give you a heart rate...so I looked at your profile I know your 29....so thats saying that you, and a 29 year old Olympian have the same heart rate....and well...thats sooo wrong!

By using the Heart Rate reserve method you get MUCH more accuracy...this method includes your resting heart rate, which is unique for all people of all fitness, and lifestyle levels.

This Heart Rate Reserve method works as fallows.... (I'm doing all the math for you too)

HRmax-Hresting=HRR
    HRR x desired Intensities + Hresting = HRR Exercise HR

1. You still need that HRmax for this way too...
    220-age
    220-29= 191bpm

2. HRmax-RestingHR=HRR (Heart Rate Reserve)
    191-(whatever your resting heart rate is)=HRR
    *take your resting heart rate as soon as u wake up in the morning
    *I'll assume it's about 64bpm...thats a complete guess...but still in a normal range

191-64= 127

3. Now that your know ur HRR, which probably means absolutely nothing to you, don't worry bout it....
    you can figure out where your heart rate should be when your working out
    (FYI this is my career doing these for people...)

I'm guessing you should be working at between 60%-75% of your HRR

THUS....

127 x .60 = 76.2 + 64 = 140.2
    127 X .75 = 95.25 + 64 =159.25

so according to my VERY ROUGH guesses, and calculation your heart rate should
    be between 140-159bpm when doing cardiovascular exercise

So this may not be sort of complicated at first read, but once you understand this method your cardiovascular training will be AWESOME!.....

and....those monitors aren't the most accurate anyway...polar heart rate monitors that you physically wear are the best! :)

I hope this helps...PLEASE ASK ME QUESTIONS if your at all confused...
    if you want, you can give me your resting heart rate and I can do all the calculations for you!! :)
  • justdoingit
    justdoingit Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    Here's what I do, take my middle finger and locate the ayorta on my neck and count how many heartbeats I feel in 10 seconds, then I multipy by 6. What I have heard is that you should be somewhat out of breath but not to a point that you can't talk. It's in that range that you will lose fat. If you work too hard, you will burn protein which is what you don't want. Same thing with any other type of excercise. Of course, I am not a trainer, just got the advice from Bob Greene on TV...:ohwell:
  • slieber
    slieber Posts: 765 Member
    Options
    I wear a HRM all the time I exercise, including in ballet class. Today, my HR went up to 200 beats a minute at some point, during class.

Wednesday, it went up to 210 in class, at one point. If I were to go by the theoretical maximum, my heart should have burst! *grin*

I felt fine, though, all the way through in both classes, so I can only assume I'm fitter than the theoretical max.

Don't worry about it. As justdoingit said, if you feel okay, just keep at it.
  • SamiRose
    SamiRose Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I wanna add something VERY important when taking your pulse! NEVER use your thumb, or don't let your thumb touch your radial or carotid artery site that your taking it at. Your thumb tends to have a difference pulse then the rest of your body, this could lead to some very inaccurate readings.

and as the above said, as long as you don't feel like your about to pass out, and you feel well and good keep at it! :)
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    I don't have a HRM (yet) but my elliptical at home has one of those little hearts on the board where you put your thumb to get your HR. I just read on a website (while researching HRMs) that your HR is 220 minus your age (http://www.polarusa.com/us-en/about_polar/who_we_are/why_train_with_a_heart_rate_monitor). So my HR should be around 191 but today while on the elliptical at least half that 45 minutes my HR was around 200-216, so my question is -

Is that bad that I was so much higher ? I was pretty out of breath but I felt like I probably could have pushed a tiny bit harder - although I probably wouldn't be able to move after! I don't want to kill myself, just lose the flab that has taken over my once normal weight-body.

There is a standard error of estimate of + or - 10-12 beats/min for max heart rate calculation formulae. So it is not unheard of for someone of your age to have that HR level. Given that, the numbers you are reporting are still a little on the high side. In the absence of symptoms or any significant medical history, my first inclination would be to suspect a mechanical misread of the heart rate. Until you get a reading that is more reliable, it's hard to make an accurate assessment or ever hazard a guess.
  • leakejb
    leakejb Posts: 8
    Options
    Thank you for the information it helped me. Keep up the great job