Advice/help please...

Options
Ok, so since August 2011 I've lost 53 pounds! I'm very proud of myself but at 193, I'd still like to lose about 25 more... I started dieting on and off but since march when I starte mfp I've lost 30, losing something everyday, until this past week where I've lost nothing! I've read lots on here about plateauing, eat more, switch up work outs. The thing is, eating around 1300-1400 calories a day keeps me full, all day. I have breakfast, snack, lunch, snack, snack, supper then either 30 mins on my elliptical or 35 min, 4 km speed walk/jog, every day. What can I do differently? I am a single mom, I have zero time for a gym. I'm going to try to join a work out class, just two days a week. My thing is too, I don't want to overload myself with excercise because I won't keep it up. I want to do things that I will continue even after I lose all the weight! Anyone have any suggestions about what I can do at home to break this plateau?

Replies

• melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    One week without a loss is not a plateau. That is perfectly normal and I am surprised your weight loss has been that consistent this far...count yourself as one of the lucky ones! Many people lose some, nothing happens for a week or two, then lose some more, etc.

If you go one month+ without a loss, then start looking to change things up. Congrats on your loss so far!
  • 20shan08
    20shan08 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Thanks a lot! I do realize how lucky I am, and try not to worry too much. It's just kind of discouraging. Not enough to lose my drive though, I will never be 245 pounds again :) very thankful for what I've been able to accomplish :)
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options
    At home, you could do calisthenics, jump rope, run in place, or dance to music. Wear a heart rate monitor to make sure that you're working hard enough. You could do intervals: Move as fast as possible for 30 seconds, followed by a rest period of up to 90 seconds.
  • 20shan08
    20shan08 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Thanks! I know how great jumping rope is for cardio, I may try to find one this weekend and alternate between jogging, elliptical and skipping.
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options
    You could also do burpees. When I've done cardio at home I've set an alarm for 10 minutes, telling myself I'll see if I can get through it. If I feel good, I set it for another 10, and then another 10. Somehow it's easier to think of it in 10-minute segments than a 30 minute stretch. A few times I've done 45 minutes or even an hour.
  • Discoveri
    Discoveri Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    Definitely look into the classes. I made a ton of friends there and it helps me to feel like I need to go to the gym because I don't want to let anyone down.