Liquid Fasting

kym_lewis08
kym_lewis08 Posts: 393
edited September 19 in Health and Weight Loss
My friend has recently came off a liquid fast (he is 119 lbs so he did this for other reasons) and I became quite interested in reading up on this. I've heard and read a few good things about it. But I also heard that once the fast is over that you will gain all the weight you lost back,almost automatically. I guess Im just needin somebody else's input. :smile:

Replies

• GTOgirl1969
    GTOgirl1969 Posts: 2,527 Member
    You should never attempt a fast without a doctor's OK and supervision.

That being said, you almost definitely gain all the weight back.
  • kym_lewis08
    ahhh..dieting makes me sad :frown:
  • TKelly06
    TKelly06 Posts: 225 Member
    You can't look at it as dieting, you have to look at it as a lifestyle change. Once I got that into my thick skull, the weight has been coming off with no problem.

Good luck!
  • kym_lewis08
    Thanks for the encouragement :smooched:
  • skywalker
    skywalker Posts: 1,533
    Isn't that what Oprah did years ago when she got super thin? She gained it back, but then lost it again by exercise and proper diet. And I agree with GTOgirl, talk to your doctor...:smile:

exercise.png
  • kym_lewis08
    Thank u all for the advice!!

Congrats on the 550.8 down Sky!!:drinker:
  • SamiRose
    SamiRose Posts: 118 Member
    YES!!!!! BECAUSE DIETS DONT WORK!! It's ALWAYS the lifestyle changes that WORK! :wink:
  • skywalker

Thanks!!!:happy:
    If you like to bike, some of us have started a cycling club/challenge. It's open to all levels. We pledge a weekly personal mileage goal and work toward it. It's been great motivation for me. Check out this thread if you're interested....:happy:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/59202-mfp-spitfires-cycling-club-week-2
  • JoyousMaximus
    JoyousMaximus Posts: 9,285 Member
    If you are going to do a fast, make sure you are doing it for reasons other than weightloss and with supervision if it is going to last for more than 3 days . I know a lot of people that do them for spiritual reasons or health reasons. I have even considered doing one myself as an exercise in will power. Just do NOT do it for weightloss and do plenty of research first.

TMI Alert.
    As a side note, some of the books on fasting recommend coffee enemas. I'm disturbed by the idea personally. But at least three people have died from them so I wouldn't recommend you do that should you decide to do a fast for reasons other that weightloss. (I know I'm repeating myself. I just don't want people to jump at me because fasting isn't a healthy way to lose weight. And it isn't.)
  • Hello -

Liquid fasting can either be really good for you or really bad for you depending on how you do it.

If you do it as a cleanse - and make sure that you are still taking in all the vitamins and minerals that you need, then its ok. this can also help you in your diet, because once the body is cleaned out your body will be a little more able to crave the foods it needs instead of just the yummies that are very bad for us.

If you are doing it solely for dieting purposes - yes you will gain a lot of the weight back.

Another thing to consider is fat storage. When you deprive your body of the minimum calories that you need in a day, your body will automatically go into hybernation mode and store fat. Its the body's natural way of making sure it can still function.

Hope I helped :)
  • skywalker

Actually, you could check out this one too re:cycling club...

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/58766-mfp-spitfires-cycling-club-week-1
This discussion has been closed.