7 Days in.

Options
jfontanna
jfontanna Posts: 24 Member
Hi all!.
I'm a newcomer to the MFP program, and was looking for a bit of information or opinions on how I can boost my weight loss.
Some quick background:
Diet: I'm currently at 1200 cal/day (usually less... I'm sure there'll be some comments on that :) ). 7 days in, and 8 lbs lighter.
Excersize: Pretty much none, except walking around at work, and taking the stairs instead of the elevator.
Lifestyle: Father of 2 kids, 4 and 13 (yea... teen), Job: Database Administrator, so I pretty much live at a desk for 3/4 of my awake day. My wife isn't able to work out with me as she's having very low energy from cancer treatments and recovery. (Read: Lots of stress in my life).

Hope you guys can help... I don't want another picture of me on vacation where I'm embarrased what I look like.

Replies

• DonSlowikFitness
    Options
    Having a great motivation group helps the most, a lot of different things to do out there. Depends on your will power and getting in a good group will help keep that will power up to help remind you of your goals. Need some motivation feel free to friend me. I have already lost over 50lbs in under a year. It does feel better having energy again.
  • SweetBasil35
    SweetBasil35 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Hi JF! I'm sorry to hear about your wife's health. "Lots of stress in my life" must be quite an understatement!

I'm at 1500 (something) cals per day, so I do NOT know how you're coping with 1200. =) I know protein is going to be really important for you to maintain your energy throughout the day, so that's one thing that you'll want to make sure you're getting enough of.

I have a desk job too... all. damn. day. So I have to get my activity in during the evenings. I think it would be a great idea for you to take the kids outside to play, and maybe give mom some quiet time to rest. I try to involve my 12 year old daughter in my activities... we went for a walk around the neighbor yesterday. During her softball practice on Monday, I went for a walk around the park she was playing at... and soon I'll be taking her with me to the paths near our house so that I can bike and she can roller blade. She doesn't know it yet, so we'll see how well that goes! Ha! It's not so cool to hang with mom anymore.

I know it can be hard to find things to do that interest both the younger kids and your teen, but there's nothing saying that you *have* to. Bedtime for the little ones could be when you take the 13 year old out to throw the ball around for a bit. You have to get creative, but I think you'll be surprised at the amount of calories you'll burn just playing with your kids. (and I think you'll want to consider eating back those cals since you're only at 1,200).

Keep up on your fluids (don't do what I do, do what I say... ha!)

Wishing you the best!
    Ang
  • tai3
    tai3 Posts: 17
    Options
    I too have just started (10 days today) down 5 lbs.

As yet another person with a desk job... I know the feeling. I get a quick walk in on lunch (either on the treadmill in the gym in the building) or I go outside and walk around the area. Doing steps (besides in and out of the building) is a great workout too.

I'm going for 1200 cals a day too. I've been there abouts (usually a bit under) with my exercise. As SB said, protein is a must (I usually do hard boiled eggs, toast and milk for breakfast). And WATER, WATER, WATER... get a pedometer or an app for your smart phone, I bet you'll be surprised how much walking you do in the office just between the water cooler, the coffee pot and the restroom. Did I mention WATER, WATER, WATER? I'm up to at least 10 glasses a day... it's dry in my office. It's better than the 2-3 20 oz bottles of soda I used to do a day.

/hugs - here for you. And blessings to your wife - I hope her treatment is going well.