Less carbs more calories!?!

Options
Sam3622
Sam3622 Posts: 172 Member
Hey everyone, i was hoping you could help me out - i am looking to cut my carbs down, especially in my evening meals and need to add more calories to my diet in the process. I am not mad keen on meat but no vegetarian. Any ideas?

Thank you!

Replies

• Ervie317
    Ervie317 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    You can always add all natural peanut butter (1 tbsp) or extra virgin olive oil to your dinner it will increase your fat but that will also increase you calories. I would recommend not have a steak or salmon or some other protein high in fat with that meal if you add those items.
  • impyimpyaj
    impyimpyaj Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options
    Why are you looking to lower your carbs?

If you don't eat as many carbs, your calories are going to have to come from somewhere, so you'll need to eat more protein or fat or both. Lean meats are probably your best bet, as well as eggs. Dairy is a good choice, but it does have carbs from the sugars in it, so you'll need to see if that's going to fit into your goals. Natural peanut butter is high in protein and fat. Cook with olive oil to increase the healthy fat content of your food. Fatty fish such as salmon will give you good, healthy calories with lots of protein and fat.
  • Sam3622
    Sam3622 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Why are you looking to lower your carbs?

If you don't eat as many carbs, your calories are going to have to come from somewhere, so you'll need to eat more protein or fat or both. Lean meats are probably your best bet, as well as eggs. Dairy is a good choice, but it does have carbs from the sugars in it, so you'll need to see if that's going to fit into your goals. Natural peanut butter is high in protein and fat. Cook with olive oil to increase the healthy fat content of your food. Fatty fish such as salmon will give you good, healthy calories with lots of protein and fat.

I feel like i am eating too many carbs - i need more protein and healthy fat in my diet as i am trying to get lean. Thanks for the advice :))
  • Mindmovesbody
    Mindmovesbody Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    Try sticking to 40% carbs...you will still get lean as long as you are strength training and getting cardio in. If you increase cals, you should increase carbs too. Just make sure it's good carbs, fruits and veggies and WHOLE grains.
  • ilovegreg05
    ilovegreg05 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    A carb is carb, no matter if it comes from a veggie or a jelly bean.

Weight loss is calories in VS calories out. You should never follow a specific 40%-40%-20% set ratio. Your diet should be catered to you.

What are you current macros set at?
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    peanut butter will definitely do it! Also I like to drizzle macadamia nut oil on my food sometimes. Use real butter (ingredients on label-- milk/cream. Salt optional, but I think unsalted tastes better). In order to do lower carbs and get more cals, you're going to have to increase your healthy fat intake.
  • chantelr91
    chantelr91 Posts: 7
    Options
    A carb is carb, no matter if it comes from a veggie or a jelly bean.

Weight loss is calories in VS calories out. You should never follow a specific 40%-40%-20% set ratio. Your diet should be catered to you.

What are you current macros set at?

Actually there is a difference in carbs, there are complex carbs (starches) and there are simple carbs (sugars).

http://diabetes.about.com/od/carbohydratefaq/f/typesofcarbs.htm
  • amchavarria
    amchavarria Posts: 12
    Options
    if you are not big on red meat i suggest chicken-grilled or baked. there is tonz of things to do with chicken. also fish a good protien. any kind of nut butter is good.

if you really want to cut carbs and gain protien look up the paleo diet. it did not work for me...but i need my carbs. they dont want any grains but there are website where you could look up what to eat and it is a protien based diet.
  • raystark
    raystark Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    Meat is your friend in this scenario. A nice whey protein shake once or twice a day is also helpful. If you want to up fat intake some, work in a couple of teaspoons of coconut oil here and there throughout your day. Don't let the anti low-carb naysayers hold you back. :wink:
  • ilovegreg05
    ilovegreg05 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    All that refers to is the GI which isn't relative unless she is diabetic. 1 carb is 4kcal, whether is 1 carb from a veggie or 1 carb from suger. A carb is a carb.
  • SucessforSandy
    SucessforSandy Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Everything has carbs but try to choose carbs that have addional benefit of being considered the healthy kind.

I eat 1/2 cup of beans every day and my black bean calories add up fast. I boil without salt and use sprinkled in salads or spice up with cumin, chili powder and other spices, fresh diced tomatoes, onions and garlic for a side dish.

A couple of tablespoons of almonds or walnuts adds a lot of calories and is supposed to be good for the heart.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    How are you with fish ? Some nice oily fish with vegetables will be low carb and good protein and oils / fats too.