Weight Training While Pregnant

Options
bushidowoman
bushidowoman Posts: 1,599 Member
I would love to hear from any ladies who continued weight training throughout your pregnancy or from any personal trainers who have worked with pregnant women.
I have continued martial arts training throughout pregnancy before (and plan to continue with that this time), but this will be my first experience with weight training during pregnancy. I've been lifting weights for about 10 months.
Specifically, I'm wondering did you continue to increase your weights, or did you just stick with the same weight you were using? What modifications did you make in the third trimester? How did you work your core during the third trimester?
Thanks!

Replies

• bushidowoman
    Options
    One pm so far...anyone else? :smile:
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    I did not weight train through pregnancy but good for you!

Yeah, not helpful.
  • DixiedoesMFP
    DixiedoesMFP Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    I don't know the correct answer, but I recall during my pregnancy, my OB told me not to do any exercises that increased intra-abdominal pressure, like sit-ups, past the first trimester. When I lift, I'm definitely increasing pressure, so I would suggest speaking to your OB.

Not helpful either, really. Sorry. I had already had a miscarriage so I was a major nervous nellie after that.
  • rachmaree
    rachmaree Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    I would love any input/ advice on this topic also... I haven't even been to the doctor yet, but I have stopped doing deadlifts and squats. From what I have read, it is really important to listen to your body. I plan to continue lifting, but will most likely decrease weight and increase the rest periods. I rarely (if ever) train abs anyway, but won't be doing that at all. Hopefully I can get some advice from a doctor, but I live in Turkey where GENERALLY weight training isn't popular with most women anyway, so it is difficult to get solid advice.
  • April0010
    April0010 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • mindidily
    mindidily Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I would talk to your doctor, but mine told me it was fine since I did it prepregnancy. He just advised not to up the weights or work the abs/do situps.
    I lifted until almost 8 months and just up the weights slightly. I quit because it was getting uncomfortable, and everything was great.
  • Marll
    Marll Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    There should be no reason to quit while pregnant. The modern day idea of taking it easy during pregnancy has gone too far in most cases. Continuing to train and lift weights will only allow for quicker recovery and weight loss coupled with a healthy body for which to bear children.

We've been around millions of years and I'm sure that pregnant women until recent times in modern cultures have never been exempt from hard work and exercise.
  • HealthyBodySickMind
    HealthyBodySickMind Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    bump. no pun intended.
  • _HeathBar_
    _HeathBar_ Posts: 902 Member
    Options
    I found this article, which seems very informative.
    http://onefitmom.ca/2011/02/17/pregnancy-myth-2-no-heavy-lifting/

I had a blog link where a women was doing heavy lifting well into her 3rd trimester and only stopped when she started having balance issues.
  • XFitMojoMom
    XFitMojoMom Posts: 3,255 Member
    Options
    I have plenty of pregnant crossfitting friends.
  • CakeFit21
    CakeFit21 Posts: 2,521 Member
    Options
    I have plenty of pregnant crossfitting friends.

Yep, there are several at my box too.
  • EpiGaiaRepens
    EpiGaiaRepens Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    i know some ladies on MFP who are doing it....doing it with their doctor's ok.

I know it can be done, but pregnancy is a complicated thing. Talk to your doc about it. If you get the vibe your doc is a "NO" person, not open minded, get a second opinion.

I had a condition during my pregnancy where it would have been very BAD for me to lift. That's why I say talk to your doc.
  • lwoods34
    lwoods34 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    My son is almost 20 months old and I was able to lift weights while pregnant. My doctor said that I could pretty much continue whatever routine I was doing and just modify when needed. But it all depends on your circumstances. As long as you dont have any complications, you should be okay, but you should talk to your doctor. I ran until I was 4 1/2 months along (it got too uncomfortable), but I continued to do ALL of my Jillian Michaels, Tae Bo, kickboxing videos. I added some prenatal videos to my collection when I was in my 2nd and 3rd trimester and also did some prenatal yoga. I did NOT increase the weights I was using. I did squats, lunges, chest presses, shoulder presses, etc throughout my entire pregnancy. As long as you were doing it pre-pregnancy, usually its ok for you to do it while pregnant but just always check with your doctor.
  • Mist1981
    Mist1981 Posts: 145
    Options
    The "rule" I was told and have always heard is that you can continue to do what you have done pre pregnancy. I personally never did abs, but lifted, and did cardio. That being said you can't let your heart rate get too high because the baby can go in distress. I think mine was like 160 or something like that, definitely check with your doctor on that part though.
  • lwoods34
    lwoods34 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    As long as you dont develop diastasis recti (separation of the ab muscles), you can still do ab exercises! You should not lie flat on your back after the 1st trimester, though. The prenatal videos I did still incorporated ab crunches (they recommended use of a pillow underneath your head to provide some elevation). I did alot of pelvic tilts on my stability ball to keep my core tight. I also continued to do plenty of planks (toward the end, I had to modify my plank because my belly was too big, lol).
  • punkrockmama
    punkrockmama Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    My doc actually told me no...but when I continued to question her it turned out that the only reason it's advised against lifting is because of the loosening of ligaments for the mother...that there is no harm that can be done to the baby, unless you somehow manage to drop a barbell on your abdomen.
    I continued to lift, took a small break due to severe morning sickness, then came back to training, and I am 29 weeks. I feel so much more stronger this time around than with my other two pregnancies and highlly recommend it.
    I do squats, deadlifts, good mornings, overhead presses, (from a standing position), and I also walk and do cardio regularly. I rely on these to primarily work my core, although I do throw in planks, as well.
    What I'm comfortable lifting has dropped considerably at this point, but I dropped it back little by little as I felt the weight becoming too uncomfortable, primarily due to Braxton Hicks contractions and not being able to catch my breath!!
    Good luck!! And happy pregnancy!
  • bushidowoman
    Options
    Thanks for your replies. There'sa no question of whether or not I will continue to train...but *how*. :wink:

This is my 7th pregnancy, with the previous six being healthy and free from complications. In the past, OBs and midwives have all agreed that I can continue whatever activities my body is used to--listening to my body and using my good judgment, of course. The midwives are especially encouraging of physical activity during pregnancy, along with keeping weight gain within healthy limits, as it makes for smoother labors and deliveries. At my last birth, my midwife remarked, "I wish all my clients were athletes!" lol

So far, I've been able to stick with same amount of weight, but I've been resting a bit longer and stopping at 2 sets. I've backed off on the number of pushups I do as well. For my martial arts workouts, I've lessened the intensity a bit and work more on form than power. Normally, once the first trimester nausea/fatigue/dizziness lessens, I've got a burst of energy and am back full-force. Then around 28 weeks, the anemia hits and I'm strugging again. Then by 36 weeks, I'm a burst of energy again. But clumsy. :laugh:

I'm looking more into standing ab exercises now--I think I've found some that will keep me going. All that hard work I've put into my abs over this past year...sigh.
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    Search button is awesome. I'm simply replying to this cause maybe there's someone else out there with some input that didn't respond before...

I just found out I am pregnant 2 days ago, and the thought of not weight training until August or September is not a pleasant thought at the moment.
  • bigbird1979
    bigbird1979 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I lifted 5 lbs only. I am 6 months PP and just starting back at working out. I'm slow to start because I haven't felt good since about 3 months PP. My hormones were crazy and that darn c-section was a killer and breast feeding was so time consuming. I slacked at about 8 months because I was tired and getting uncomfortable but I kept walking everyday.
  • bushidowoman
    Options
    Since this got bumped...
    I was able to continue with weights and pushups well into my third trimester! I lightened the weights as I needed to, but didn't stop completely. Until my stretching ligaments gave me too much pain...then I stopped. But I got pretty far.

I also stuck with martial arts all the way up to 38 weeks, until I pulled a muscle. Then I just continued walking up until delivery.

Smooth labor, easy delivery, and I have "bounced back" very quickly this time.

Good luck, ladies!