Over 60 and 100 lbs to lose

Options
Hi is it too late to lose that much weight?...I'm goning to try this year...anyone here in that age and weight group?

Replies

• nellybutler
    nellybutler Posts: 15
    Options
    Hi' i dont have to lose quite as much, but i think it probably feels like a mountin to climb regardless. I am 67, female and i do think it is more difficult as you get olde and not as fit and energetic. Thats where i fall down on the execise side of thing.Feel free to add me to you friends list if you wish. we can all do with as much support as we ca get!!!!
  • Lynkirby
    Lynkirby Posts: 4
    Options
    I don't think it's too late to lose that much weight if you have patience. I'm 62 and over the last 2 years have lost 60 lbs. I put 10 back so I'm 50 lbs lighter now, and would like to lose 20-25 more. Basically, I've just tried to change our eating style, mostly fresh food, not processed, and I don't keep much in the house in the way of crackers, cookies, etc. the things that seem to call to me. I eat lots of fruit, I try to have plenty around. We walk at least a mile or 2 daily and I've used Jane Fonda workout CD's, not as much as I should, but they help. I'm trying to think of it not as a diet, but a lifestyle change, something permanent, the way I will eat forever. So I have an occasional glass or 2 of wine with dinner, a dessert on an occasion, but I always think about what I'm eating.

Whenever there's an option of stairs or elevator, I make myself take the stairs, just to move as much as possible. Tracking the calories on this site helps, when I stop doing it, I gain. I get frustrated when I feel I'm not eating much and I haven't lost, but keep telling myself, this is forever, and it will eventually happen. Our metabolisms slow with age, and I don't want to slow mine down even more be starving myself, and it's really hard to find a balance here.

Lyn
  • ColleenRoss50
    ColleenRoss50 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    There are a number of people over 60 on MFP and even well into their 70's who are very successful at losing weight and becoming more fit. It is never to late to make improvements to your health and fitness and sometimes it is even more important as we get older. I am 61 although I had less than 30 lbs to lose. You might also want to do a search in the groups section of this forum for "over 50" and "over 60" groups and see if you might be interested in joining some of them for additional motivation and support.

Welcome to MFP. :smile:
  • beattie1
    beattie1 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    I'm 60 and have around 100lbs to lose, ideally. Like Lyn above me, I try to eat healthy food, not have too many temptations in the house and move around more than I used to. I don't feel up to starting running (maybe one day...) but go for walks - and it's getting easier to get up hills now that I've lost some of the excess I was carrying. Do you have friends to help you develop healthy habits? I go for a walk with friends every Monday and it helps start the week off well. Then some of us go to a couple of exercise classes together during the week.
    I'll send you a friend request - we can motivate each other.
  • playdoh12
    playdoh12 Posts: 3
    Options
    Okay I will look for you....nice to find someone in the same boat!
  • one5ive0
    one5ive0 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Hi, i' m 63 and I want to lose 65 lbs for better health and a whole new lifestyle change, I'm following the 17
    day diet and its really a whole new way of eating, it will be my 2nd week on mfp and on this lifestyle change
    of my eating habits, and so far I've lost 9lbs, the people on this site really keep you motivated and to read some of their success
    stories really keep me motivated. I don' t expect to lose as quick as some of the younger members, but I am
    planning on reaching my goal. I walk also, but I am trying to loosen up my body by doing some of the
    light exercises I get off of you tube for seniors, they are not as hard. But i'm sure you can loose the weight you want.
    The members on this site are inspiring and helpful, and help keep you determine to reach your goal.
    better late than never, anything we can do to improve in our senior years has got to be on a positive note.