stavation mode is this true

Options

Replies

• clobercow
    clobercow Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    You can drop your intake and your activity, your body will do ok. However, your brain desires calories any way it can get it. If it doesn't get enough food, your body will digest itself to feed the brain. There is no way around that. That is why so many people who do "cleanses" lose muscle mass. You keep your body barely satiated, but your brain eats your muscle and organs.

Normally, if I string together 3 days of solid calorie debt through vigorous exercise, I will enjoy eating a bit extra on the ensuing rest day. The exercise will do more than enough to counteract one bad day. Its easier on the emotions too. I ended up losing 25 pounds in 8 weeks. I have since slowed down a good bit to maybe 3 or 4 pounds in the last month. I have cared a bit less about staying on track with counting calories due to the fact that my clothes are getting too loose.

If you can enjoy upping the intensity on the exercise, you won't have to sweat denying yourself the emotional satisfaction of eating.

First paragraph. Everything you said is misguided.

Emotional eating has no bearing on healthy intake and nutrition. We don't see a nutritionist for our emotional problems. I was an emotional eater. I got over it. Some people may need help. They should get it.

I'll stop responding to this thread before the dogma crowd starts throwing stones.

Feel free to PM me if you want more information OP.
  • grinch031
    grinch031 Posts: 1,679
    Options
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2495396/?page=1

382 days, 0 calories per day, 276 pounds lost.

There is not a single validated scientific case of metabolic adaptation exceeding caloric restriction (i.e. your metabolism will never slow down so much that you stop losing weight at a caloric deficit).

That's because by definition a caloric deficit is when your expenditure exceeds your intake. I think what you are saying is if you drop your calorie intake by N, then the change in your body's energy expenditure will never exceed N (prior to actual weight loss occurring). But still, commonly someone on a constant calorie intake over a period of time will eventually hit a plateau as they lose weight because their BMR will lower from a combination of the weight loss and calorie restriction combined.
  • wackyfunster
    wackyfunster Posts: 944 Member
    Options

There is not a single validated scientific case of metabolic adaptation exceeding caloric restriction (i.e. your metabolism will never slow down so much that you stop losing weight at a caloric deficit).

That's because by definition a caloric deficit is when your expenditure exceeds your intake. I think what you are saying is if you drop your calorie intake by N, then the change in your body's energy expenditure will never exceed N (prior to actual weight loss occurring). But still, commonly someone on a constant calorie intake over a period of time will eventually hit a plateau as they lose weight because their BMR will lower from a combination of the weight loss and calorie restriction combined.
    Apparently after losing 276 pounds?
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    Starvation mode and it's infinite debate is a mute point here and the least of your worries -

Eating under 1000 calories a day is UNHEALTHY. period. For a healthy sustainable weight loss plan you need to eat at least 1200 calories a day.

You must believe the world is ending in 2012 also. I say that because there is no science that proves the world is ending just the same as there is no science to back up what you say.

Stop being a dogma zealot.

^^^^Dude what are you babbling about. I simply pointed out that she is under-eating and under-eating is unhealthy. You don't need a degree in science for that just COMMON SENSE. Something you could use.
  • lizziebeth1028
    Options
    My whole point of commented was to NOT get into a scientific debate on starvation mode. It was to point out that netting BELOW 1000 calories a day is unhealthy...hence the fact that the OP was feeling sickly.
  • drewbird911
    drewbird911 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Why not just set a MFP Goal and try and follow it? Your setting yourself up for failure, it does not work because your doing it wrong. I usually don't eat back all of my exercise calories because I think MFP is optimistic with its calculations.
  • Louise1247
    Louise1247 Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    I'm sure the lower amount of calories slowed your metabolism a good bit. Thing is, scientific studies show that even when your body does go into starvation mode, it still continues to burn fat at the same (and often greater) rates. There was a Minnesota starvation study back in the 1950s (google it)

Even when the people in the study had their metabolism drop 40% or more, they were still burning fat, until they got down around 5% body fat.

Now, the weakness and hunger is another issue. No diet is worth feeling awful over, especially if it causes you to cheat and go over calories.

I would recommend trying to make sure that a LOT of your 1000 calories are high in fiber and protein to keep you full and give you some energy. I'm sure they already are but if you look for ways to replace calories low in fiber and protein with calories high in fiber and protein you will feel more full and have more energy.

Starvation mode is a real phenomenon, but most of us trying to lose weight have enough body fat that our bodies aren't shutting down on us.... its just typical calorie and food cravings that we try to rationalize by saying "my body is in starvation mode"

What it is with you, only you can know. Good luck

One of the best responses I've found on this site to the whole starvation mode question.

I agree! this makes sense-- its not denying starvation mode, but always thought people trying to lose weight SURELY have enough fat for 'emergencies'
  • happyfeetrebel1
    happyfeetrebel1 Posts: 1,005 Member
    Options
    I have written several blogs about this topic. Even a google search will bring them up. Less than 1k a day is very dangerous, especially if you are eating that and exercising on top without eating exercise calories back. Even gastric bypass patients eat more than 1k a day, and they have a regimine of vitamin therapies to counteract any deficiencies from their food.

It is almost impossible to get the nutrients, vitamins, and minerals you need to have your body work efficiently on that low of a food intake.

Please speak with your doctor about the appropriate calorie levels for you, deficiencies, and how to refeed back to a normal calorie intake.

Most gastric bypass patients are advised to stay around 700-800 in the weight loss periods. Most also won't go over 1000 til maintenance :)
  • tomhancock
    tomhancock Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    The plateau usually happens because after someone loses thirty pounds on a certain diet and exercise regime they don't realize that 170 pound YOU needs to eat less than 200 pound YOU because 170 pound YOU's basal metabolic rate is much less, meaning you burn many less calories just sitting in your chair at work every day. Exercise is the same way, when a 200 pound person does an hour of running it burns way more than a 170 pound person burns doing the same thing. You've got to decrease your intake and increase your exercise very slowly as you go.

Do not listen to all the mumbo-jumbo about your brain eating your body for calories, and cheating every four days on your diet, its insane and not supported by science.
  • kd_mazur
    kd_mazur Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    I have written several blogs about this topic. Even a google search will bring them up. Less than 1k a day is very dangerous, especially if you are eating that and exercising on top without eating exercise calories back. Even gastric bypass patients eat more than 1k a day, and they have a regimine of vitamin therapies to counteract any deficiencies from their food.

It is almost impossible to get the nutrients, vitamins, and minerals you need to have your body work efficiently on that low of a food intake.

Please speak with your doctor about the appropriate calorie levels for you, deficiencies, and how to refeed back to a normal calorie intake.

Most gastric bypass patients are advised to stay around 700-800 in the weight loss periods. Most also won't go over 1000 til maintenance :)

However, a Gastric bypass patient is monitored by a Dr and they typically are required to take supliments to round out thier nutrition.
  • tomhancock
    Options
    My whole point of commented was to NOT get into a scientific debate on starvation mode. It was to point out that netting BELOW 1000 calories a day is unhealthy...hence the fact that the OP was feeling sickly.

That is simply not true. Although many many overweight people (including me!!) can lose weight at an intake higher than 1000 calories a day, there is no science anywhere stating that going under 1000 is unhealthy for everyone. It would depend on the OP's size, exercise, and other scenarios.

There is no minimum number of calories to eat. Someone above posted a starvation study where a zero calorie diet was followed for over a year. You DO need to monitor your energy levels so you don't become hypoglycemic, but there is nothing unhealthy about it.
  • andreachirillo
    andreachirillo Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I'm sure the lower amount of calories slowed your metabolism a good bit. Thing is, scientific studies show that even when your body does go into starvation mode, it still continues to burn fat at the same (and often greater) rates. There was a Minnesota starvation study back in the 1950s (google it)

Even when the people in the study had their metabolism drop 40% or more, they were still burning fat, until they got down around 5% body fat.

Now, the weakness and hunger is another issue. No diet is worth feeling awful over, especially if it causes you to cheat and go over calories.

I would recommend trying to make sure that a LOT of your 1000 calories are high in fiber and protein to keep you full and give you some energy. I'm sure they already are but if you look for ways to replace calories low in fiber and protein with calories high in fiber and protein you will feel more full and have more energy.

Starvation mode is a real phenomenon, but most of us trying to lose weight have enough body fat that our bodies aren't shutting down on us.... its just typical calorie and food cravings that we try to rationalize by saying "my body is in starvation mode"

What it is with you, only you can know. Good luck

AMAZING EXPLANATION! Finally!
  • lizziebeth1028
    Options

That is simply not true. Although many many overweight people (including me!!) can lose weight at an intake higher than 1000 calories a day, there is no science anywhere stating that going under 1000 is unhealthy for everyone. It would depend on the OP's size, exercise, and other scenarios.

There is no minimum number of calories to eat. Someone above posted a starvation study where a zero calorie diet was followed for over a year. You DO need to monitor your energy levels so you don't become hypoglycemic, but there is nothing unhealthy about it.

^^^Well I think the fact the she began to feel ill is a good indicator that maybe she might want to eat more. Once again common sense.
  • lizziebeth1028
    Options
    And for everyone who is thinking eating under 1000 is OK - Could you please give the OP some useful advice then? Maybe tell her to lie down until the weakness passes or something?
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options

^ this...why is this so hard for so many to grasp?

(Oh, and eating fat makes you fat...)

*facepalm*

*headdesk*

*leavesinternets*
  • TrailRunner61
    TrailRunner61 Posts: 2,505 Member
    Options
    I started eating 'exercise' calories after reading all the 'opinions' about starvation mode. Since I started doing that, I have lost NO weight. As of yesterday I have cut back to what my Dr. suggested, 1200. I'm sure I'll do fine since sometimes, I felt like I was stuffing myself to eat even some of the ex. calories back!

Ask me in 2 weeks what happened. I'd be happy to be the starvation mode guinea pig!
  • 19kat55
    19kat55 Posts: 336 Member
    Options

You are my new hero and best friend! I get kicked all the time because I routinely eat 900-1100 a day. And I feel great. Would I not feel bad if my body was not getting the nourishment it needs?
  • grinch031
    grinch031 Posts: 1,679
    Options

^^^Well I think the fact the she began to feel ill is a good indicator that maybe she might want to eat more. Once again common sense.

But its also possible the quality of her diet wasn't so good so it could be she was malnourished. Sometimes just adding more calories inadvertently reduces other nutrient deficiencies to make someone feel better. Lots of confounding variables here.
  • tomhancock
    Options

What you call common sense I call a complete misunderstanding of the body's metabolic processes. If she was feeling ill, chances are her blood sugar was low, and could have eaten a small healthy snack to give her some energy. You can do that and work it into a 1000 calorie diet. A lot of people eating very low calorie diets eat 5 or 6 small meals throughout the day to deal with this problem.

The fact she felt ill does NOT mean she should instantly start eating more every single day.... at least not if she wants to lose weight.
  • leodru
    leodru Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    There is no where online or otherwise that would support eating less than 1200 calories outside of doctor supervision. It is what your body would need to keep going if you never got out of bed in a day. Why not eating 1200 and then work off some of it? At least your body has something to keep your muscle content. Sure you'll lose weight but being aggressive will lose muscle. Muscle burns more calories than fat - losing muscle will make you fatter when you up your calories again. Focus more on activity than cutting out nutrients. And eat well!!!!!