Eating Out

Options
For those of you who eat out a lot or maybe date night with the hubby, you still can eat healthy no matter where you go. On most of the restaurants website there is a menu page with a nutrition page and from there you can get all the nutritional facts about each item, including calories, crabs, and fat. I use my iphone when I'm at a restaurant to pull up their website and check out their Nutrition Page from there I know what to order. Just some advice.....Good Luck!!

Replies

• rockinright
    rockinright Posts: 241
    Options
    A lot of times, where we fall short eating out isn't the entree itself, since most places have a few items that are decent, and even moreso if you only eat half.

Where it gets problematic is the appetizers, bread, etc and avoiding that when everyone else with you is chowing down is the hard part.
  • clairabell2024
    clairabell2024 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I always do this! Although no longer on my phone, my boyfriend gets arsey if im checking the nutrional info on my phone while im out lol which i can understand, hes taken me out so why am i on my phone?

So ill check out the menu before hand! No excuses! :-)

x
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    On most of the restaurants website there is a menu page with a nutrition page and from there you can get all the nutritional facts about each item, including calories, crabs, and fat.
    That is true if you only eat at chain restaurants. Some people prefer to go somewhere a little nicer than that.
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    On most of the restaurants website there is a menu page with a nutrition page and from there you can get all the nutritional facts about each item, including calories, crabs, and fat.

I generally avoid chain restaurants, so this info isn't available to me most times I eat out. That info is great when I travel for work and have no choice but to eat at a chain though!

Generally, when you no nothing about the nutrition, there are some obvious rules of thumb: ask for sauces on the side, choose lean proteins, choose grilled or broiled over fried, avoid anything laden with cheese, know what a reasonable portion looks like since many restaurants will give you 2-3 meal's worth, etc. Above all else, sometimes you just have to go out once in a while and enjoy the meal without obsessing over every last detail!
  • iysys
    iysys Posts: 524
    Options
    we don't really have chain restaurants here so there is no nutritional info on the website. that said i can generally look at the food on my plate and tell you pretty much exactly what is in it so logging meals out isn't really a problem.
  • Spence711
    Spence711 Posts: 10
    Options
    Do you check the website to see if they have a nutrition page? Some of our local restaurants has it.
  • iysys
    Options
    none of ours do. the menus of most of the places i go to change monthly/seasonally so it is unrealistic to expect them to be able to accurately do that kind of thing. plus since you aren't dealing with any premade or prepackaged foods there would be fluctuation even if they did have it.
  • Spence711
    Options
    I guest it works more on chain restaurants. I went to chick fli A yesterday and got a grill chicken sandwich with light mayo, side salad with low fat dressing and unsweet tea....The whole meal was under 500 calories and taste good too. I got all the info from their website to help recorded on my fitness pal.
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    I think some people avoid independent restaurants for this very reason, and that's sad. You can get much healthier food at many local places, but people insist on eating crap because it's been accurately measured.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    For those of you who eat out a lot or maybe date night with the hubby, you still can eat healthy no matter where you go. On most of the restaurants website there is a menu page with a nutrition page and from there you can get all the nutritional facts about each item, including calories, crabs, and fat. I use my iphone when I'm at a restaurant to pull up their website and check out their Nutrition Page from there I know what to order. Just some advice.....Good Luck!!
    That works if you only go to chains.
  • iysys
    Options
    I guest it works more on chain restaurants. I went to chick fli A yesterday and got a grill chicken sandwich with light mayo, side salad with low fat dressing and unsweet tea....The whole meal was under 500 calories and taste good too. I got all the info from their website to help recorded on my fitness pal.

true...but over 1000 mg of sodium :-(
  • g0tr00t
    g0tr00t Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    When my wife and I go out on a date night. We usually look over the menu to see what we would like to eat then we split the meal.
  • Spence711
    Options
    True.... Be its hard to watch everything, like calories, fat, sugar, crabs, protein, and sodium. I lost 5 lbs this week so as lone I keep losing weight I am happy :). Yes, splitting meals is a great ideal too. Eating less food helps lose weight too.
  • CourtLiv
    CourtLiv Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I always do this! Although no longer on my phone, my boyfriend gets arsey if im checking the nutrional info on my phone while im out lol which i can understand, hes taken me out so why am i on my phone?

So ill check out the menu before hand! No excuses! :-)

x

This is a great method...knowing what you're going to order before you even walk in the door will definitely assist in the unexpected diversion. I don't eat out very often, but when I do, this is how I roll! I won't even open the menu.