Salsa Recipies

Options
hauer01
hauer01 Posts: 523 Member
Can anyone share with me an easy, tried and true tomato Salsa recipie? I love salsa, but I can't seem to figure out how to make it and the jar stuff has way too much sodium.

I would appreciate any help.

Replies

• VeganInTraining
    VeganInTraining Posts: 1,321 Member
    Options
    ooh, I hope lots of people give recipes cause I could use some too!
  • angie_sample
    angie_sample Posts: 190
    Options
    i LOVE homemade salsa. Heres what i put in and honestly i never measure i just go by taste. Tomatoes, purple onion, garlic, cilantro, jalopeno, lime juice, pepper, sea salt (if u want i never put it in and i dont feel it needs it), SOMETIMES i put avocado in it to just to change it up a bit. This is seriously the BEST salsa i have ever had. :)
  • Dayquasar
    Dayquasar Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    1 cup tomato
    1 small onion
    1/8 cup fresh cilantro
    1 tsp vinegar
    S&P, sprinkle
    1 tsp oil(optional)
    Green tabasco to taste
    1 tsp lemon juice

I just chop everything in a food processer to my desired sized chunks, strain it if it's runny and then eat, yummy!

-This is funny btw since I am making salsa today! :)
  • macpatti
    macpatti Posts: 4,280 Member
    Options
    I make mine the way my housekeeper did when I lived in Mexico!

Boil: 3 large tomatoes, 2 serrano peppers, 1 jalapeno pepper for 20 min (or when skin starts coming off tomatoes)
    Chop: 1 small yellow onion and cilantro and put in blender
    Add boiled tomatoes and peppers and puree.
    Add salt to taste!
    Serve hot....YUM!

Also: I make 2 batches of this every Sunday. One batch I pour over chicken breasts and cook all day in a crock pot then serve over tortilla chips.
  • dellgriffin
    dellgriffin Posts: 15
    Options
    3 - 4 Fresh Tomatoes (halved cherry tomatoes work well as well)
    1 bunch of cilantro chopped with stems
    3 cloves of garlic chopped
    1 red onion diced
    1 jicama diced
    1 lime zested and juiced
    1 - 2 jalapenos diced (you can removed seeds and veins for less heat)
    Dash of apple cider vinegar or white
    roasted red bell pepper chopped
    Salt and Pepper to taste

Mix it all together and let sit for at least 2 hours. The longer it hangs out the better.

Another great alternative is to quarter the tomatoes and place on a sheet pan with the onions, bell peppers, jalapenos, garlic (whole cloves), jicama and toss it everything lightly with olive oil. You can add salt and pepper at this point. Roast at 400 for at least 20 - 30 minutes. Run it through a food mill or your blender and add the rest of your ingredients. I will sometimes use just a tsp of muscovado sugar or palm sugar to help mellow it all out. You can serve this warm.
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    This recipe is THE BEST SALSA RECIPE HANDS DOWN!!!

I've had so many people freak out when I make this.

http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/2010/01/restaurant-style-salsa/
  • Shannon023
    Shannon023 Posts: 14,529 Member
    Options

Boil: 3 large tomatoes, 2 serrano peppers, 1 jalapeno pepper for 20 min (or when skin starts coming off tomatoes)
    Serve hot....YUM!

Also: I make 2 batches of this every Sunday. One batch I pour over chicken breasts and cook all day in a crock pot then serve over tortilla chips.

*slobber* Sounds great, Patti!
  • hauer01
    hauer01 Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    These all sound fantastic! I am going to try them all! THANK YOU!!! And my tummy thanks you.:tongue:
  • VeganInTraining
    VeganInTraining Posts: 1,321 Member
    Options
    i think I'm gonna need chips and salsa for my party this weekend. I'll just work my way down the list :)
  • Zaetalicious
    Zaetalicious Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    This is how my boyfriend's mother makes salsa -- it's so great everyone says she sound bottle it and sell it!

*warning - this makes A LOT of salsa.. i end up making 2 blenders full with this recipe.. cut it in half if you want less*

1.5cans (1 large can and 1 smaller) peeled tomatoes (you can also use the equivalent amount of raw plum tomatoes, but it's much easier to just use the canned)
    5-6 tomatillos
    7-10 serrano chiles (i always use 8 or 9 bc we like things spicy around here)
    1 small onion, chopped
    4-5 cloves garlic, chopped
    1/4c salt
    1 bunch of cilantro, stemmed and chopped

1. place the chiles, tomatoes, and tomatillos in a pot and boil until chiles are tender
    2. mix everything except cilantro in blender (i do half of the recipe at a time cuz it doesn't all fit at once), blend until everything is nice and blended
    3. add in half cilantro, blend
    4. repeat for other half of ingredients

so simple, cheap, and makes a lot of salsa!!
  • TKHappy
    TKHappy Posts: 659 Member
    Options

Add salt to taste!
    Serve hot....YUM!

This sounds fabulous....I am putting it on my bucket list of recipes to make!!
  • ninaquelinda
    ninaquelinda Posts: 136
    Options
    bump
  • mdsjmom98
    mdsjmom98 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    This recipe is THE BEST SALSA RECIPE HANDS DOWN!!!

I've had so many people freak out when I make this.

http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/2010/01/restaurant-style-salsa/

Looks AHHHH-Mazing!!! Gonna try this soon!!
  • AMike98
    AMike98 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    They all sound yummy. Got me a craving for salsa now!!!
  • tmpayton
    tmpayton Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    mmm...
  • claudiandw
    claudiandw Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I worked in Mexican restaurants for many years and this is very close to what we made, I always get tons of compliments on my salsa. :)

Claudia's Salsa

3 14.5 oz cans of whole tomatoes (you can use canned diced also)
    10-15 Old El Paso Jalapenos
    1onions (cut into quarters or small enough to fit into a food processor)
    2 or 3 small tomatoes (cut into quarters to go into food processor)
    3 or 4 garlic cloves
    1/4 c worchestershire sauce
    1/2 c cilantro chopped fine
    1 TBSP cumin
    salt to taste

In a food processor or blender add onions and tomatoes that have been quartered. Pulse until very small bits. Pour into large bowl.

Next, add tomatoes, jalapenos, and garlic to the food processor. Blend, don't puree, leave it a little chunky. Add to the tomatoes and onions along with the last four ingredients. Stir and taste.

Refrigerate and store in an air tight container.

**You can always add more spices or peppers. Enjoy

VgdGPl.jpg

MduVal.jpg
  • cindygagnon
    cindygagnon Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    mmmmmmmmmmm..............
  • peppiee
    peppiee Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Blender salsa

2 14 ounce cans of diced tomatoes, I use one can of Rotel and one normal drained Beware of salt in canned tomatoes, some have less or you can use the cartons. If you use the cartons add canned jalepenos or fresh . (not sure on salt in canned jalepenos)
    2 + cloves garlic
    squeeze half lemon
    cilantro to taste
    optional onion

I chop the cilantro and garlic coarsley and add it to the blender and blend until smooth but slightly chunky. Super simple and always gets raves.
  • AimersBee
    AimersBee Posts: 775 Member
    Options
    bump..

mmm salsa!
  • JaneInKansas
    JaneInKansas Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    We have a large garden, so once our tomatoes start coming in, we're busy making this recipe. It can also be made with canned tomatoes. We freeze this salsa so it can be used year-round. If you freeze the salsa, you will have to drain a bit of juice after it has been thawed and before serving.

SALSA (ONE PINT AT A TIME)

1 cup diced tomatoes (see note below if using fresh tomatoes)
    3 Tbsp chopped white onion
    1 1/2 tablespoons finely chopped jalapeno peppers (we don't remove any of the seeds, so you will want to adjust to your family's taste)
    2 tsp minced garlic
    1/4 tsp ground cumin
    1/2 tsp salt
    1 tsp ground coriander
    4 Tbsp tomato sauce
    1 Tbsp lime juice
    1 1/2 tsp finely chopped cilantro

Place all ingredients in a food processor and blend to desired consistency.

If possible, make this at least a few hours before planning to use so the flavors can blend.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

NOTE - IF USING FRESH TOMATOES: you will need to remove the skins by dipping them in a pan of hot water for about 30 seconds, then directly into a bowl of ice water for at least 30 seconds.

Peel the skin and remove the core.

Crush tomatoes by placing in a food processor and process to desired consistency.