Surprised at Society

Options
2»

Replies

• xsargex
    xsargex Posts: 768
    Options

Nah I get what your saying. But I think from a pyschological standpoint, we really give our mental state way to much credit. I think alot of what your talking about, maybe those changes we go thru from being a child to an adult (eating habits) are physiological. I do agree with the reply earlier, there are chemical elements involved in our brain; we get pleasure from eating. But it doesn't mean that has to control our very lives to the point of being overweight, unhealthy, etc etc etc. Our bodies and physical abilities are way underestimated. We are capable of so much. When it comes to exercise, strength, overcoming illness and even injuries. But we'd rather just sit on our *kitten*, eat crap, skip the gym, skip the hard work, go to the doctor office and down medications, and we wonder why our bodies are all screwed up.

This is in no way encouraging people not to go to the doctor or take medicine. Granted, your super ill or have a disease, you have to take care of it. I just think when it comes to small stuff.... we are quick to run toward the easy fix. Look at all those late-night commericals for diet pills. Its always that quick "pill" to fix your problems. Well, unfortunately, its not a fixer.

Again, I think the customs and social aspects of our society, is really a mute point. Because everyone has to eat. Its just what we identify with.

I hope that clears up my response earlier, cause I didn't want to come off sounding like an *kitten*.

It sounds like you are saying that weight loss and health is more physiological than psychological or am I miss understanding your point?

exactly. my spelling is not so great and I have "large" fingers (don't want to say fat)

They aren't fat... they're fluffy!
    :laugh:

big boned...husky..... Enlarged physical condition caused by a completely natural genetically-induced hormone imbalance.
  • foxyforce
    foxyforce Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    im still so sensitive about food so i apologize for getting bent out of shape, cause i did lol, ill work on it :wink: ...but it is right what BRILE said, it was an AH HA moment, cause i firmly believe that there are others that don't realize this, i know i didn't. i thought i was just eating..but really i was indulging.
  • FluffnStuff
    FluffnStuff Posts: 387
    Options
    im still so sensitive about food so i apologize for getting bent out of shape, cause i did lol, ill work on it :wink: ...but it is right what BRILE said, it was an AH HA moment, cause i firmly believe that there are others that don't realize this, i know i didn't. i thought i was just eating..but really i was indulging.

It's okay...
    As you go along you won't be as sensitive about it, cause you'll have more of those "ah ha" moments as you go. Even when I do get those moments, I sometimes have to have them 3-4 times before it finally clicks. :flowerforyou:
    I'm like you, I think I am just eating... but in reality... I'm indulging.
  • FluffnStuff
    FluffnStuff Posts: 387
    Options
    ...husky.....

Why is it whenever I hear that phrase in reference to weight I have flashes of dogs run through my mind.
  • JoyousMaximus
    JoyousMaximus Posts: 9,285 Member
    Options

It sounds like you are saying that weight loss and health is more physiological than psychological or am I miss understanding your point?

exactly. my spelling is not so great and I have "large" fingers (don't want to say fat)

I (as well as many medical researchers) happen to disagree with you. There is a significant correlation between obesity and depression. Studies have also shown that mental state can be one of the greatest hindrances to sustained weight loss. Here are a couple links to articles on the subject.

http://www.psychologytoday.com/articles/200410/weight-loss-champions
    http://www.psychologytoday.com/articles/200401/weight-loss-and-faulty-thinking
    http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2008/06/080602152913.htm
    http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/99658.php
    http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/weight-loss/MH00025
    http://www.medicinenet.com/emotional_eating/article.htm
  • xsargex
    Options
    ...husky.....

Why is it whenever I hear that phrase in reference to weight I have flashes of dogs run through my mind.

because Husky's are smart. Especially Siberian Husky's...what a rad lookin' dog.
  • xsargex
    Options

I (as well as many medical researchers) happen to disagree with you. There is a significant correlation between obesity and depression. Studies have also shown that mental state can be one of the greatest hindrances to sustained weight loss. Here are a couple links to articles on the subject.

http://www.psychologytoday.com/articles/200410/weight-loss-champions
    http://www.psychologytoday.com/articles/200401/weight-loss-and-faulty-thinking
    http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2008/06/080602152913.htm
    http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/99658.php
    http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/weight-loss/MH00025
    http://www.medicinenet.com/emotional_eating/article.htm

cool.
  • JoyousMaximus
    Options
    cool.

Your reply made me smile. :flowerforyou:
  • Johnnyswife
    Johnnyswife Posts: 1,447 Member
    Options
    I'm not saying that whatsoever. I am however suggesting that instead of going out for a coffee, go out for a walk. Instead of going out for drinks, go to the movies. Do something else.
    Society IS focused on eating.
    :noway: No!! Don't go to the movies!! That's where they keep that fattening pocorn! lol No one can resist it! lol

I know what your saying and I agree. I think those of us who are aware of this, are the ones that need to make the changes. We need to invite our friends to take a walk, or jog, or go window shopping. And you gotta eat at some point, so why not make it around a dinner or lunch at a friends house where calories can be controlled?
    My husband decided to take this journey with me, and now we take walks and pack a picnic lunch if we are going to be out during lunch or supper time. We love it and he's lost 8 lbs already! :flowerforyou:
  • JoyousMaximus
    Options
    I'm not saying that whatsoever. I am however suggesting that instead of going out for a coffee, go out for a walk. Instead of going out for drinks, go to the movies. Do something else.
    :noway: No!! Don't go to the movies!! That's where they keep that fattening pocorn! lol No one can resist it! lol

I know what your saying and I agree. I think those of us who are aware of this, are the ones that need to make the changes. We need to invite our friends to take a walk, or jog, or go window shopping. And you gotta eat at some point, so why not make it around a dinner or lunch at a friends house where calories can be controlled?
    My husband decided to take this journey with me, and now we take walks and pack a picnic lunch if we are going to be out during lunch or supper time. We love it and he's lost 8 lbs already! :flowerforyou:

I always sneak in my own snacks to the theater. I always like to trip people out with what I'm eating. The other day I went with a friend and half way through the movie she looked over at me looking startled and asked me where I got a banana. :laugh:
  • Johnnyswife
    Johnnyswife Posts: 1,447 Member
    Options

I always sneak in my own snacks to the theater. I always like to trip people out with what I'm eating. The other day I went with a friend and half way through the movie she looked over at me looking startled and asked me where I got a banana. :laugh:
    :laugh: :laugh: We started doing that too, but so far, I'm the only one resisting the popcorn. My poor hubby always caves.
  • JoyousMaximus
    Options
    :laugh: :laugh: We started doing that too, but so far, I'm the only one resisting the popcorn. My poor hubby always caves.

My biggest indulgence is a large diet coke. I can resist the food but not my diet coke. It's pretty much the only time I drink it. Although, I do miss sneaking in chinese food like I used to. :cry:
  • foxyforce
    Options

My biggest indulgence is a large diet coke. I can resist the food but not my diet coke. It's pretty much the only time I drink it. Although, I do miss sneaking in chinese food like I used to. :cry:

i eat the candy, but i can go without buying anything, im too poor for their overpriced goodies
  • xsargex
    Options
    I still wanna design one of those "pregnent compartments" like on that Taco Bell commerical where they sneak the nacho's into the game. Then I can bring in a 12 oz Sirloin, sweet potato and a side salad into the theatre.
  • SpiveyMay
    SpiveyMay Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I still wanna design one of those "pregnent compartments" like on that Taco Bell commerical where they sneak the nacho's into the game. Then I can bring in a 12 oz Sirloin, sweet potato and a side salad into the theatre.

You should go to the theatre that we have in town, you wouldn't dare eat in there. Works well though, I don't want to snack during the show.
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    Food is important in all cultures, and most celebrations and rituals have something to do with food- be it enjoying an abundance of food or fasting and giving up food for some time. Our culture, unfortunately, is all about overindulgence- often to the point that it's not even pleasurable anymore. It's insane.
  • xsargex
    Options
    I was watching the new episode of No Reservations with Anthony Bourdain last night. He was in Chile. Once again, I was reaffirmed that the United States is not the only country that gorges themselves with fatty, buttery, high-calorie goodness. Yes, there are overweight people in other countries. And yes, Food is just as much a part of other cultures...as it is here.
  • cardigirl
    cardigirl Posts: 492 Member
    Options

I wanna go to the movies with you! Now that's livin'! Heh.

In regards to this thread's topic, I think it is a valid realization to discover how often food plays a role in our lives beyond being fuel for the body. What we all have to learn is how to police ourselves. In my office someone or another is always bringing in cookies or cake or some such deliciousness, and someone always has to comment on how bad it was of them to bring it in. I've simply learned to not eat it if I don't want it, or to have a smaller portion if I do.

Yes, temptation is everywhere, food is readily available to us with very little effort. We have to make the choice to take control of our appetites and see food in a different way. Eat to live, etc. But having celebratory foods is not wrong either. It's a matter of balance, and learning that balance is part of the journey.
  • CarmenSantiago
    CarmenSantiago Posts: 681 Member
    Options

Good call! I will bring my own snacks too. I bring 100 calorie pack of nuts so I don't feel left out with the salty treat, and 100 calorie pack of cookies or granola bar. These are things I usually don't splurge on but I know it's better then the junk they have at the theater.

• foxyforce
    Options

Good call! I will bring my own snacks too. I bring 100 calorie pack of nuts so I don't feel left out with the salty treat, and 100 calorie pack of cookies or granola bar. These are things I usually don't splurge on but I know it's better then the junk they have at the theater.

bananas are so portable!