Vietnamese Tapioca Strip Noodles (20 cal) - any ideas?

Options
summer8it
summer8it Posts: 433 Member
I went to the Vietnamese market yesterday to look for Shirataki noodles (which I did find, in the refrigerated section), but I also found tapioca strip noodles in the dried noodle aisle. These noodles are imported from Vietnam, and say they have 20 cal per serving. They are made out of tapioca starch only; they also had noodles made of tapioca and rice flour, but those were all 200+ calories per serving.

I've done a bunch of googling, but haven't found much information about these noodles, and the info I have found is all contradictory! For instance, to cook them, I should either:
1. Boil them for 5-7 minutes;
2. Soak them in hot water for 30 minutes; or
3. Boil them for 30 seconds.

I was able to find the noodles in the MFP database, so SOMEONE has eaten them. If you have any experience with them, please speak up!

The noodles are called Hu Tieu Dai My Tho in Vietnamese, if that helps....

Replies

• summer8it
    summer8it Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    I couldn't wait any longer to experiment with these!

I just tried cooking method #2 - I poured boiling water over the noodles, then let them sit (uncovered) for 20 minutes or so. When they softened up, I rinsed them in cold water until they were cold, and made a cold noodle salad with them.

They were pretty good! A bit chewier than rice noodles or bean threads, but they tasted like them. I bet they're going to be awesome for pad thai.
  • xxnellie146xx
    xxnellie146xx Posts: 996 Member
    Options
    I'm going to have to look for these at the grocery store!