What is my Fat Burning Zone?

Options
gayje
gayje Posts: 230 Member
I've tried reading up on this and just can't seem to figure it out. I need some helpful, easy to understand/read links or advice on how to figure out where my heart rate needs to be or a range at least, so I can exercise productively. I've been working on my journey for a month now, and have gained, not lost. :-(

I will get burned out if I push, push, push just to exercise if I don't know what I'm doing. And, I DON'T know what I'm doing to my body with the exercise plan I've been on.

Suggestions?

ETA: I have copd so doing longer intervals of cardio is VERY difficult for me. I can do short spurts of 10 to 20 minutes high intensity cardio, but that's it and then I'm wiped out for the next several hours..

Replies

• ilovegreg05
    ilovegreg05 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    There is no fat burning zone, weight loss is calories in VS calories out.

If you are gaining then you need to burn more calories and/or eat less food.

When it comes to cardio, do which ever you prefer..either low intensity for a longer time period or high intensity for a shorter time period.

Also, you can't outwork a bad diet. What does your diet look like?
  • gayje
    gayje Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    My diet is great. I eat a lot of fresh veggies, get a moderate amount of whole grains, low sodium/sugar, tons of fiber and protein too. My calories in are lower than calories in. Also, no less than 80 ounces of water per day.
  • ilovegreg05
    ilovegreg05 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    My diet is great. I eat a lot of fresh veggies, get a moderate amount of whole grains, low sodium/sugar, tons of fiber and protein too. My calories in are lower than calories in. Also, no less than 80 ounces of water per day.

Sounds like you're set then, just add 5-10 mins to 1 or more sessions when weight loss stalls or since your tracking calories, eat less.
  • brandyk77
    brandyk77 Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    There is no fat burning zone, weight loss is calories in VS calories out.

well, there is one but the fitness industries focus on it is just plain silly.

At a lower intensity the % of calories burned from fat is higher but the overall calories burned at a higher level is more.

Sounds like you are on the right track!