Stretch marks on arms :(

Options
tistal
tistal Posts: 869 Member
All this hard work is paying off except for one thing. I still will never be able to wear anything sleeveless because of the stretch marks on my upper arms!!! Which sucks because my arms and shoulders are looking pretty good. Anyone else have to deal with this? There is one sleeveless long maxi dress from Old Navy that I am in love with and I will never be able to wear it!

Replies

• Ashley_Panda
    Ashley_Panda Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    Stop being self conscious about it. You're the only person noticing. If anyone says anything, tell them exactly what they can do with their opinion.
  • AlynnP1005
    AlynnP1005 Posts: 195
    Options
    Why cant you wear it? Stretch marks are stretch marks, nothing to hide. My friend calls them his tiger stripes, as a reminder of how hard he has worked. I have stretch marks on my arms, thighs and calves, it wont stop me.
  • NovemberJune
    NovemberJune Posts: 2,525 Member
    Options
    Maybe they are a lot less noticeable than you think?
    Try the dress you love with a little cardigan or shrug!
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    Is it possible you're more sensitive about this than anyone else? I always tell people I have one eye that's dramatically smaller than the other - but it seems that actually, I'm the *only* person who knows this. No-one else can see it at all....

If those are yours, you have truly amazing legs. I'd like to bet that your arms are just as good, and that no-one but you can see the flaws.
  • jessewessy1990
    jessewessy1990 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I have stretch marks from weight gain and i am currently using roseship oil...about £15 in health shops. Can use bio oil but they have so many chemicals in it however roseship is 100% pure. It soaks in really quickly. I have only been using it for a few days but can be weeks before any results appear, I think that's with all stretch mark remedies though
    Hope that helps
  • _Elemenopee_
    _Elemenopee_ Posts: 2,665 Member
    Options
    They are a part of who you are now, no matter how big or small they may be. Embrace who you are and be proud of how far you've come. Those are battle scars, wear them with pride!
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    of course you can wear sleeveless tops. Go get one right now. Put it on. You look fabulous.

Would you let a stranger talk to you the way you're talking to yourself? If a stranger said the things you are saying, you'd recognize right away what a mean and inappropriate comment that was, right? So quit allowing yourself to talk that way to you. You deserve praise for your results, you worked hard to earn them.
  • UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    I got stretch marks on the back of my upper arms (and calves and hips) when I hit my growth spurt in middle school. I grew about 8 inches in less than a year. I still wear what I want - I'm not going to pass on wearing shorts, tank tops or a swimsuit just because I have imperfections. Especially ones that were completely out of my control.

I say wear the clothes you like with pride! You've obviously worked hard to achieve your goals. I doubt people will notice the stretch marks. And even if they do notice, they won't care. And if they do care, that's their problem and their shortfall as a human being. :-)
  • ArtGeek22
    ArtGeek22 Posts: 1,429 Member
    Options
    I also have stretch marks on my stomach and on my left shoulder. I have had them since I was 13 and they still aren't better. But since dropping weight and using "Palmers' Coco butter formula" they have finally started to improve.

Don't sweat it though. Like someone else said they are "tiger stripes" and they remind you how hard you worked! No one will care when you are lean, strong, and healthy now, will they? :smile:
  • Natihilator
    Natihilator Posts: 1,778 Member
    Options
    Guess what? Sexy, toned arms are a million times more noticeable to other people than a few stretchmarks.

Just look at them as 'life tattoos'. You're human, your skin expanded and shrank and there's the evidence, but it happens to most of us, so there's no reason to be ashamed of them.
  • TrophyWifeSass
    TrophyWifeSass Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    I have stretch marks on my outer thighs and lower belly, I plan on rocking a bikini this summer. I don't know many people without some kind of wear and tear marks, part of life.

:heart: Sass
  • erikaperry
    erikaperry Posts: 6
    Options
    Mederma has a product for stretch marks now and if it works anything like their product for scars, it's got to be great!
  • dreamingchild
    dreamingchild Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    I love this site! Great advice!! Accept yourself.. What's that saying...sing and the world sings with you.
  • Chelle_Davis
    Chelle_Davis Posts: 241
    Options
    There's a picture that I absolutely love. It says:

"Your body is not ruined. You're a goddamn tiger who earned her stripes."

Love your new body. You earned it!!!
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    of course you can wear sleeveless tops. Go get one right now. Put it on. You look fabulous.

Would you let a stranger talk to you the way you're talking to yourself? If a stranger said the things you are saying, you'd recognize right away what a mean and inappropriate comment that was, right? So quit allowing yourself to talk that way to you. You deserve praise for your results, you worked hard to earn them.

LOVE this response! We are all so hard on ourselves! Someone else has mentioned it but people get stretch marks for a variety of reasons - pregnancy, growth spurts - I even knew a girl in high school who had them on her lower legs because she got into sports and her calf muscles developed quickly. Own your imperfetions, baby! We all got 'em....
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    I have stretch marks all over... arms, belly, hips, butt, thighs. When I finally get my body back, I intend to wear whatever I want. Stretch marks be damned! I worked for this body and I'm going to show it off!!
  • tistal
    Options
    Is it possible you're more sensitive about this than anyone else? I always tell people I have one eye that's dramatically smaller than the other - but it seems that actually, I'm the *only* person who knows this. No-one else can see it at all....

If those are yours, you have truly amazing legs. I'd like to bet that your arms are just as good, and that no-one but you can see the flaws.

Yup those are my legs!

Thanks everyone. ♥ I guess its a mental block I am going to have to overcome! I have had them for as long as I can remember. Since high school.
  • tistal
    Options
    Mederma has a product for stretch marks now and if it works anything like their product for scars, it's got to be great!

Mederma is crazy expensive!
  • Llyrian
    Llyrian Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Not exactly a choice for everyone, but I got tattoo sleeves (still in progress) to boost my confidence about my stretch marks on my arms. I now have more of a goal to tone the hell up and show them off. People can look at my arms and my art, but they won't be looking at my scars.
  • cindyhoney2
    cindyhoney2 Posts: 603 Member
    Options
    Girl you look amazing! Go wear that sleeveless dress and strut! I have stretch marks that I know will not go away when I have lost down to my ideal weight, I hate them but I know people that have never been over weight that has them, so no worries, right?
    I was blessed with nice arms but my legs are a mess!!!