Fitting in exercise with my shifts.

Options
I work shifts and sometimes I work from 8am to 9pm, I find it easy to exercise on my days off or when I only do a short shift 8-2 or 2-9 but I can't seem to manage to exercise when I'm working a long shift. Does anyone have any tips/ideas about how to fit in exercise on these days? Help needed!

Replies

• bradthemedic
    bradthemedic Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    In the winter I work up in Northern Alberta and shift 12hrs. I know the feeling. I found the best thing (when there wasn't a gym available) was to strip down to my skivvies and do some calisthenics on a yoga mat. I found once I was stretching, doing push/sit ups and getting my blood flowing that I'd want to do more and sweat more.

It's kind of a intertial thing. You get pushed off the start line and just keep cruising. :)
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    How many days a week do you work out? How many long shifts a week do you work? Just plan your rest days for your long shift days, and your exercise routines for the rest of the week.
  • candctaber
    candctaber Posts: 274
    Options
    I don't work the long shifts, but am always on the go with the kids when I get off work. I've recently started doing stairs or just walking during my breaks and at lunch. This has helped a lot!
  • beachlover718
    Options
    yesterday I worked 6-2, then volunteered at my son's school so I knew I wouldnt have time in the afternoon to work out. Got up at 4:30 and did a wrok out video- 30 day shred. It's hard to fit it in sometimes- if you know your schedule ahead of time can you note it on a calendar then maybe do bigger workouts on days you dont work or have shorter shifts and shorter workouts- maybe just weights or something on those days you have a long shift?
  • 152dbs
    152dbs Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Know ur pain I work 430pm to 500am. I get home and in bed by 6am...unless son is in bad mood and won't go back to bed (he's 14mo old). Usually sleep until 11am, get up, get food prepped for next shift, then do whatever exercise I have planned. It really blows working 12hrs after working out, but I gotta do it.

u could get up earlier, not saying do it. Lord knows I wouldn't. Me personally, id work out @ 10pm on ur shift. Still time to shower and unwind for bed.
  • ajay96
    ajay96 Posts: 10
    Options
    Thanks for all the advice from everyone, I think what i'm going to do is try and do my larger workouts on my days of or short shift days and I could get up at 6am and do 30mins on my elliptical trainer before work, there is no way I could come home afterwards and do my exercises because I am on my feet all day at work and I come home absolutely shattered! I am trying to work out 5 or 6 days a week and I can work anywhere between 2 or 3 long days a week, this week i am working 3 long days and 2 short shift which is rubbish!!
  • Weaz66
    Weaz66 Posts: 1,846 Member
    Options
    Ajay, what type of work do you do if I may ask? I do traffic control for companies, paving roads or road construction. I'm a flagger. I'm the person everybody hates to run into when they are running late. I use a stop/slow paddle when I'm on the end of a one-lane road pattern or use a red flag if controling traffic coming off a side street. I sometimes have 1-1/2 hr. commute and can have a 12-14 hr shift 5 or 6 days a week (and we don't get breaks). Trust me I feel your pain with trying to figure out when to work out. Try to be creative with your work. You say you stand all day, can you raise and lower your legs, do squats, lunges, push-ups against a wall, walk in place,lift and lower items, etc... With my job I try to do any movement I can when no cars are in front of me (otherwise I'm sure somebody would call the police on me). I believe in doing bodyweight type exercises/movements when I'm at work....any little bit helps. Then on my days off I try to concentrate on a harder more enduring workout. I've only just started back to work and I'm learning everday what I can do to help myself get back into shape.
  • ajay96
    Options
    I'm a nurse so spend my shifts dashing around all over the place and where I work is so manic there is always something going on, so I am really active at work, just trying to fit extra exercise in because working obviously isn't enough to shift this weight!
  • acm130
    acm130 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I'm a nurse also and have been struggling with fitting a work out in on my work days (I work 12p-12a 3d/wk). I have been pretty consistent w/ working out the other 4 d of the week but if I could fit in just one more day I think it would really jump start my goal. Getting up earlier has been futile, I just keep hitting snooze.... I wonder if there are any other 2nd shifters out there who work out after a shift? If so, has it been positive? I'm inspired to try an end of shift work out, maybe just 30 min instead of my usual 70! We shall see!
  • ajay96
    Options
    I have also tried getting up earlier before and I kept hitting the snooze button, that button is lethal! But I know when I get home after my shift there is no hope of me doing anything, so on Saturday I am DETERMINED to get up at 6am and do some exercise! I will let you all know if i manage it! *fingers crossed*