HR Monitors

Options
I'm interested in getting a heart rate monitor but I want an accurate one that is dead on with calories as well.

Does anyone know of any?

Replies

• karagetsfit
    karagetsfit Posts: 191
    Options
    bump
  • jennyerkes
    jennyerkes Posts: 11
    Options
    Interested to know as well! I bought a cheap one and its going back! I had to press the button to read my heart rate in the middle of a workout!
  • tz2187
    tz2187 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    I'm also curious. I just bought a Polar FT4, and am curious how accurate it is.
  • htolen
    htolen Posts: 28
    Options
    I haven't bought one yet, but a very fitness-oriented friend of mine recommended one from bodymedia.com to me. These gadgets require that you subscribe to an online database thing (about $6 a month) and then you upload your armband data into the computer to get accurate results about heart rate, calorie expenditures (even while sleeping), etc. I'm probably going with this one when I can afford it!
  • Hayesgang
    Hayesgang Posts: 624
    Options
    I own the Polar FT4 and love it. The chest strap is really comfortable and it's personalized settings are easy to use and adjust with your weight loss. I wash my strap after 4 uses and haven't had any issues.

I believe it's much more accurate then the machine and MFP, You may be shocked at how much you have over/underestimated your burns which can be counter-productive to your weight loss.

Good luck.
  • mommyhof3
    mommyhof3 Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    I have a Polar FT4 and I LOVE LOVE LOVE it! I use it for P90x, swimming, walking, really for anything that I use for exercise.
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    No device is going to be able to tell you for sure that you burned XYZ calories in a workout.. All HRM's and bodybugg/bodymediafit/fitbit are all estimations.

HRM's when used correctly(steady state cardio) and set up with all info(age, weight, height, gender) are 80% accurate at estimating calories burned. If you add VO2max, I believe they go up to 90% accurate.

Personally, I use a Polar HRM and I feel it's pretty spot on, but I always take it with a grain of salt.
  • W0zzie
    W0zzie Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    Polar FT7 & FT4 are very popular with MFPs. I bought a FT7 over a year ago and in no way regret it. I feel it is as accurate as you will get with HRMs, though it has the occasional bad session where you just know something is not quite right - but 95% of time spot on or as close to. The main thing with them is to take care of them as the guide says - rinse after use & wash periodically in very hot water/soap & rinse thoroughly.
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,969 Member
    Options
    :bigsmile: I have a Polar FT7 and I love it :heart: :heart: :heart:
  • MamaWannaRun
    MamaWannaRun Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    bump
  • MamaWannaRun
    MamaWannaRun Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    :bigsmile: I have a Polar FT7 and I love it :heart: :heart: :heart:

What all does this do for you? how would it compare to a BMF?
  • Jessicaruby
    Jessicaruby Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    i am interested in this as well. i spent almost $200 on a bodybugg and it was not accurate for me. according to it my TDEE was roughly 2800. but i gain 1lb a week eating 2400-2500 cals so that can not be right..... i am intersted in getting something else but i dont want to spend more money on something that is not accurate
  • Fitness4Paul
    Fitness4Paul Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I use the Suunto t3D with the USB move stick to get my workout data on line. I can track my workouts and performance improvements over time. It's a great training aid. I use it for p90x, cycling and elliptical training.
  • alan_swart
    alan_swart Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I bought a Timex Ironman Race Trainer a couple of weeks ago. So far it has been great. It was a bit pricey, but definitely DO NOT regret the purchase. I was skeptical about the reported cals burned by posting with generic items on MFP. My HRM tracks multiple laps (if you were to do some sort of circuit training) as well as records cals burned. It also uploads to a free website very easily where I can review my workout at any time. I would certainly recommend it. I bought it at $150, but looks like Amazon has it for $100 now. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005CP91WQ/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00
  • ColleenAtherton
    ColleenAtherton Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    I also have an FT7 and am going to buy one for my husband once I'm able to get his chest measurement.

It's easy to use and comfortable to wear.
  • neurochamp
    neurochamp Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    I have a Timex T5H881 Zone Trainer. The chest strap is very comfortable, and I think the readings I get from it are pretty consistent. I picked this one because it was quite a bit less expensive than a Polar (I got it on sale for like $45 on Amazon). Also, I've owned a ton of Timex sport watches - I just like how they look, and they're very durable.
  • karen0214
    karen0214 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I have never used a HRM, so I was wondering if you can just wear it all the time and will it show you how many calories you burn just living daily life, like sitting and using computer, planting flowers, doing dishes, etc. OR do you only use it when doing major cardio exercise?
  • dad106
    Options
    I have never used a HRM, so I was wondering if you can just wear it all the time and will it show you how many calories you burn just living daily life, like sitting and using computer, planting flowers, doing dishes, etc. OR do you only use it when doing major cardio exercise?

You only use it during exercise.. If it is worn any other time, the calorie estimation you get will not be accurate at all.

If you want to know how much you burn during daily living, then you need body bugg/body media fit.
  • karen0214
    karen0214 Posts: 120 Member
    Options

You only use it during exercise.. If it is worn any other time, the calorie estimation you get will not be accurate at all.

If you want to know how much you burn during daily living, then you need body bugg/body media fit.

Okay, thanks for the info. I've been trying to figure it all out. Which do you think is a better use, the HRM or body bugg/body media? I can only get one or the other right now.
  • dad106
    Options

Okay, thanks for the info. I've been trying to figure it all out. Which do you think is a better use, the HRM or body bugg/body media? I can only get one or the other right now.

It depends on what your needs are.. Do you want to know what you burn all day or do you want to know what you burn during exercise?

Personally, I just use my HRM for purposeful exercise and let the rest be what it is. I don't need to know how much I burn in daily living really.. If my body says eat, I eat.. if it i says don't eat, I don't eat.. it's that simple.