anyone starting Couch to 5K

Options

Replies

• maddiebabe
    maddiebabe Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    Hi Everyone :)

I just finished week one but will probably do the run one more time on Saturday as Im away from home and this I can actually do away he he. I was just wondering if anyone has any pain in their shins. I dont think it is shin splints, it could just be the weight on my legs but I wasnt sure if anyone else experienced that at all.

Also...does anyone know how to get rid of a side stitch. Normally I dont get them but I got one yesterday and WOW was it ever painful.

and by the way...you guys are ALL SO FABULOUS for doing what you are doing.keep up the good work :)
  • sjmay
    sjmay Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    I haven't had much pain in my shins, but I have in my calves. And the side stitch... I am not really sure of the right way to get rid of them, but for me, I find if I slowly breathe in thru my nose and out threw my mouth, it helps. I just repeat this several times and the pain seems to go away. Try to make sure your breathing stays steady (whether fast or slow). I know that sometimes if it doesn't, it can cause the side pain.
  • toots99
    toots99 Posts: 3,794 Member
    Options
    I read somewhere that in order to avoid side stitches, make sure you exhale as your left foot lands and your right arm comes back. It worked for me and it hardly happens anymore.
  • pettmybunny
    pettmybunny Posts: 1,986 Member
    Options
    I'm interested. Just started trying to incorporate some running in my walks this week. I've never been a runner but really want to be, where can I get the pod cast?

Here's the link for the Suz podcast. http://www.kissmyblackass.org/?page_id=86

I used hers today (week 1 day 3) and I shaved almost 3 minutes off my time. The strong beat and faster music really got me moving! Up until today, I've been using the Robert Ullery one.

Here's the link to his: http://www.ullreys.com/robert/Podcasts/index.html

I also did a google search, and there's several others:

http://www.djsteveboy.com/1day25k.html (podrunner also has podcasts to go further, with an 8K podcast and a 10K podcast)

http://www.buriedtalentsband.com/C25K/ (This one is Christian music, there are a few extra downloads on this site)

http://gonicoleyourself.blogspot.com/2008/06/couch-to-5k-podcast-page.html (This one has a 5-4-3-2-1-0 countdown and then the music completely changes for each interval, but the sampling I listened to had good music. I kind of hated it sometimes when the song changed right in the middle)

Hope these help!
  • pettmybunny
    Options
    Oh, and with side stitches, it looks kinda funny, but put your hands on top of your head as you're breathing deeply and regularly in and out. It helps stretch your ribcage and diaphragm (sp?) and get the oxygen to the bottom of your lungs. Learned this one in wrestling.
  • jbwegner
    jbwegner Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    I just finished week one! The third run was the hardest, which makes me nervous about week two, but bring it on. I am searching for that runners' high!
  • Learning2LoveMe
    Learning2LoveMe Posts: 1,430 Member
    Options
    I'm looking at starting in august. What are the podcasts like?
  • jbwegner
    jbwegner Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    I'm looking at starting in august. What are the podcasts like?

There are two that I know of. One uses techno music and one uses hip-hop. I prefer Suz's hip-hop. You can find the links for them earlier in the thread. They're free also! Basically, a voice comes on over the music and tells you when to walk and when to run. It's so easy to follow! You don't have time count or time yourself, just listen to the directions and concentrate on moving!
  • Happyoceangirl
    Happyoceangirl Posts: 1,993 Member
    Options
    Sounds like a great idea - I think I'll jump on board! Starting Monday??? I usually walk my little dog in the mornings (as long as it's not raining.)

Thanks for the tips on the podcasts, that should help A LOT..... and in just 9 weeks I should be able to jog 3 miles?? How cool is THAT for someone who suffered through laps in gym class!!!!

I would love and appreciate motivation from peeps here - and will be so happy to support all of you!
  • osmium
    osmium Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I can't recommend this program highly enough :smile: It's brilliant!

I tried to start running several times in the past and a lot smaller, but never got past the 2nd run. The C25K made it so achievable and I was always excited to progress.

I started this year on Feb 11 th at 215lbs and finished it on Apr 1st at 195lbs. I've become totally addicted to running, cancelled my gym membership and I run 4-5 times per week for a total of between 20 - 30km per week. I'm now down to 170lbs :smile: I still think food is the main thing which has helped my weight loss, but I am now trying to lose weight to improve my running, rather than running to lose weight.

I used the free Mia Jones podcasts as I liked her music style better than the others I checked out. Search for "chubby Jones podcast" on itunes. I'm not really into hip hop or techno :wink:

You'll love how this program works! It's amazing. Good luck everyone :)
  • Happyoceangirl
    Happyoceangirl Posts: 1,993 Member
    Options
    So I was inspired and instead of waiting for Monday, I started today! Took my little dog with me, he seemed to enjoy it. :) Somewhere around the 6th stretch of running/jogging, I started to have doubting thoughts, but kept with it and by the last one, knew I could finish. Not a bad start for week 1, day 1. I'll keep posting!
  • pettmybunny
    Options
    Whew! Just finished week 2 day 1. On the 5th interval, I was going up a hill, and just couldn't finish out the minute and a half... But only started walking with about 7 seconds left to the interval. Didn't realize that was all I had, or I would have pushed, but whatcha gonna do? Now to do a yoga video, to help stretch out my legs and hips. I was pretty stiff this morning, starting out.
  • aholly70
    aholly70 Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    I'm on week 4 already.
  • lettuceb
    lettuceb Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Having to take a week off due to knee problems but went and got fitted (again) for new shoes and custom orthotics so hopefully that will help but dying to get back to week 5! Found out that I step very differently on each foot so I am "imbalanced" (in more ways than one :laugh: ).
  • XFitMojoMom
    XFitMojoMom Posts: 3,255 Member
    Options
    I'm starting week 1 today. Just curious if you can actually skip week 1 and move onto week 2 if you already know you can do the 1 minute jog?
  • XFitMojoMom
    XFitMojoMom Posts: 3,255 Member
    Options
    curious - what do you report it as in your exercise journal?
  • amie1004
    amie1004 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I'm supposed to start Week 3 tomorrow....its making me nervous cuz I'm not so sure about the 3 minute run...yikes!

Mojogurl - for my exercise journal, I record the minutes I walked at whatever speed I walked and the minutes ran at the speed I ran...I am on the treadmill sometimes, so I just use those speeds, even when I go outside....I'm not sure what people do who are outside...maybe figure out the distance and do some math to figure out your average speed???
  • pettmybunny
    Options
    I'm starting week 1 today. Just curious if you can actually skip week 1 and move onto week 2 if you already know you can do the 1 minute jog?

I would imagine you can skip week one, as long as you can do it. If you start with week two, and find you can't do it, you can always go back...

I wear a HRM when I do mine, but I log as 9 minutes jogging at 5 mph (I'm super slow) and 21 minutes walking. Then I just jiggle the calories til it's at what my HRM says.
  • NikkiDerrig386
    NikkiDerrig386 Posts: 1,096 Member
    Options
    I did it about a month ago.. Now I am on to training for the half marathon. Make sure you do not train on a tredmil. I started outside and then the weather got crappy so I did more than half the training in the gym and wow let me tell you I barley made it to the finish line.

What do you think was the difference? I try to do both but I just detest running in town in front of people!:noway:

Well I live in Chicago so everything is different inside and out: Temperature, pressure, wind, and uneven ground. I do not have a belt helping me. Also, I know it is harder bc my heart rate is alot higher outside. Whe I am running on the tred at the gym my HR is about 155-165 and outside it is 180-195 thats a bigggggggggggggg difference!
  • pettmybunny
    Options
    I did it about a month ago.. Now I am on to training for the half marathon. Make sure you do not train on a tredmil. I started outside and then the weather got crappy so I did more than half the training in the gym and wow let me tell you I barley made it to the finish line.

What do you think was the difference? I try to do both but I just detest running in town in front of people!:noway:

Well I live in Chicago so everything is different inside and out: Temperature, pressure, wind, and uneven ground. I do not have a belt helping me. Also, I know it is harder bc my heart rate is alot higher outside. Whe I am running on the tred at the gym my HR is about 155-165 and outside it is 180-195 thats a bigggggggggggggg difference!

Do you run with your treadmill set at an incline? A trainer at the gym said to run with it at 1 or 2%, because if you leave it at 0%, it's the same as running downhill the whole time. That would account for part of the difference you felt too. Also, running in a race, it's easy to run faster than what you do on a treadmill, because of adrenalin and also because of there being other people running, and people watching. You might not have noticed your pace being faster.