Ellipticals

Options
Jessamine
Jessamine Posts: 226 Member
Has anyone had a lot of success losing weight and toning via ellipticals? Does it do more than just tone your legs?

Replies

• brismom070897
    brismom070897 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    bump
  • arc918
    arc918 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    My $.02 - with the elliptical you get out what you put in. It is really easy to hit go, move your legs a little and not work hard. You really need to put in the effort.
  • KristysLosing
    KristysLosing Posts: 683
    Options
    I really like my elliptical. I feel I get a good workout out of it.
  • Sierra_419
    Sierra_419 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    i love the elliptical .. u kno u are doing it right when u are dripping sweat & still going. wish i had access to one like i use to .. my weight loss would be wayyy better
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    I did it, yeah. Ellipticals plus kickboxing workouts but the elliptical did help. As someone else said, it's all about the work you put in. You can certainly do a high intensity workout.
  • mrs_schultz2012
    mrs_schultz2012 Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    I LOVE the elliptical, but I also work hard at it. I agree that you get what you put in to it :happy:
  • kellybean14
    kellybean14 Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    I wear a hrm when i work out on the elliptical and usually burn about 8-10 calories a minute, so it's definitely doing something for me!
  • rosebudbutterfly
    rosebudbutterfly Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I love the elliptical
  • Anaconda62
    Anaconda62 Posts: 181
    Options
    My husband lost all his weight just watching what he ate and doing the elliptical. He lost about 50 lbs. He added strength training once he lost most of the weight. I mostly do the elliptical, but I am also doing strength training. I have lost 26 lbs.
  • WhittRak
    WhittRak Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    Busting my bum on the Elliptical is something I actually look forward to.
  • artbkward
    artbkward Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    It's a good cardio workout if you do it hard enough to get your heart rate elevated for a period of time. As with any excerise, you get what you put in. I, personally, hate ellipticals, I will run on a treadmill any day before doing that.
  • lala11975
    lala11975 Posts: 26
    Options
    Definitely! But you do have to make sure you are sweating on it. I usally go pretty fast, and if I get tired slow it down for 30-60 seconds until I feel better and than get going again. At first you might be a little slow, but you must progress on it.
  • bfitnbfab
    bfitnbfab Posts: 79
    Options
    I have used the elliptical religiously for my cardio because I prefer the low impact on my knees. I'm an Army veteran who was used to running three or more miles for PT. Now I'm 42 and trying to keep all my limbs natural without needing to have any hardware installed. I find that an mp3 player full of great dance tunes or rock music and a good HRM will help you keep that intensity up. Also, there is no need to do more than 20-30 minutes on the elliptical as long as you keep you're intensity up.
  • emstaley4
    emstaley4 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I love my Elliptical. I agree that you get what you put into it, as with anything you do. When I first started I could barely do 10mins and now I can do an hour. I push myself, I try to stay 5rpm(revolutions per minute) higher than the target and use my arms to pull as well as using my legs. When I am done I'm soaked and my legs feel like jelly and I FEEL AWESOME. My husband, who works construction and is on his feet all day and is fit and has legs like granite, hates the elliptical cause he can't even do 5 minutes! So, it does give a good workout for your legs. It depends on your preference of which machine/machines you really like to use.
  • dougii
    dougii Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    I use the elliptical for 60 or more minutes every other day and do intervals using different levels of resistance and steps/minute. You can wring me out when I am done. I love it and it is making a big difference in my overall weight loss and health.
  • KatieJane83
    KatieJane83 Posts: 2,002 Member
    Options
    My $.02 - with the elliptical you get out what you put in. It is really easy to hit go, move your legs a little and not work hard. You really need to put in the effort.

Absolutely this!! I did lose at least 50 lbs using the elliptical as my primary source of cardio, you just really need to push yourself
  • myfitnessnmhoy
    myfitnessnmhoy Posts: 2,105 Member
    Options
    I use the elliptical for cardiovascular training. It's been my "go-to" machine for weight loss only because it is so low-impact and allows me to burn TONS of calories (I can vary the pace by how much effort I put in to it, so I can sustain a very specific heart rate without fiddling with controls or running the risk of falling off). I usually do a 45-minute burn keeping my heart rate up at the top range of cardio, and I can fit a lot of calories into 45 minutes.

I have found a bit of toning, especially if I set the resistance fairly high and turn it into a slower more strength-oriented workout. It's not as muscle-building as strength training, though. I'll quite often get on the weight machine and do a little strength training either before or after a cardio workout.

It does only tone specific muscles (though going on it backward doubles that muscle set!). The one I have access to has a fixed railing, so there's no upper-body workout. If you have access to one with the articulated/moving arms, put some effort into it upstairs and your results will be proportional to your efforts.

The elliptical gives you what you put into it, no more, no less. It's GREAT for building stamina which can support a variety of calorie-burning or strength-building activities.
  • migoi357
    migoi357 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I've lost about 24 pounds since starting to use mine in late January. Mine is non-powered...in that there is no motor attached to the freewheel, just a battery powered display and computing unit.

Since the purpose of the elliptical is to provide a method for increasing my heartrate to a certain point for a certain period of time...it works perfectly. I can do that for the amount of time I want without beating my lower extremities up too much. I can take a nice 'jog' or a goodly paced 'run'. I can can do intervals by varying the resistance and speed.

It has worked well for me.
  • BTag3
    BTag3 Posts: 14
    Options
    The elliptical has been okay for me. It's a low impact workout but I noticed that I burn less calories than when on the treadmill. It could just be that I tend to zone or watch TV while working out and if you do that on the elliptical you may slow down and not notice it right away... if you zone and slow on the treadmill your *kitten* will be on the floor behind it. : ) My husband uses the elliptical all the time and he burns a lot on it, but he is an animal. I use it to change things up from the treadmill and just have to remember to really keep my legs moving and not slow down when a slower song comes on my ipod... keep the tunes on the faster beats.
  • AmyW4225
    AmyW4225 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    The last time around(before I got pregnant), I lost 38 pounds just using the elliptical. I put it on an incline and against resistance. I worked my butt off literally! Also, I noticed it really took care of my cellulite. Feel free to look at my pictures!