Protein Bars: Good or Bad?

Options
2»

Replies

• jodycoady
    jodycoady Posts: 598 Member
    Options
    try making your own homemade protein bars!

1 C all natural crunchy peanut butter
    3 tbsp honey
    1 C oats
    1.5 C whey protein powder (chocolate or vanilla)
    1 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
    5 tbsp water

Heat peanut butter and honey in microwave for 30 secs. Stir- add remaining ingredients and mix until well combined. Place mixture in 9x9 baking dish and press evenly into pan. Chill in fridge for 30 minutes, then cut into 8-10 equal servings. You can also double this in a 9x13 pan.
    They come out awesome!

thank you SOOO much for posting this
  • jodycoady
    jodycoady Posts: 598 Member
    Options
    what do you think of these bars? Luna, balance, Fiber one, Kashi, Roll!

I was wondering the same thing
  • kmorris246
    kmorris246 Posts: 312 Member
    Options

3 tbsp honey
    1 C oats
    5 tbsp water

Heat peanut butter and honey in microwave for 30 secs. Stir- add remaining ingredients and mix until well combined. Place mixture in 9x9 baking dish and press evenly into pan. Chill in fridge for 30 minutes, then cut into 8-10 equal servings. You can also double this in a 9x13 pan.
    They come out awesome!

My pleasure :-) These bars are seriously soooooo good! Cheaper than buying bars PLUS they taste better as well! I cut my bars into 8 servings and it equals about 300 cals, 23 g protein- perfect for a meal replacement!
  • waldo56
    waldo56 Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options

3 tbsp honey
    1 C oats
    5 tbsp water

They come out awesome!

My pleasure :-) These bars are seriously soooooo good! Cheaper than buying bars PLUS they taste better as well! I cut my bars into 8 servings and it equals about 300 cals, 23 g protein- perfect for a meal replacement!

I make some that are pretty similar. Sub brown sugar for the honey, plain greek yogurt for the water, and add a little ground flaxseed, craisins, macadamias, and half a chopped up big special dark bar. I roughly double your recipe. I use a 9x9 pan. Mine come out about 390 calories and 24g protein each (9 servings per batch). They are breakfast for me, they keep well in the fridge (up to 2 weeks). I can grab one as I run out the door to work and eat in the car. And they are absolute gut bombs, they will keep hunger away for many hours. Enough sugar to satisfy immediately, enough oats and heavy ingredients to sit in your stomach for a long time, small enough that it isn't uncomfortable.

When I don't have any made I usually have one of the big MetRx bars as breakfast on weekdays.
  • tomhancock
    tomhancock Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I eat the special K ones, for 170 calories they have decent protein and fiber so help keep you full for a while. I usually eat them between meals to keep my energy up until the next meal. Be careful of the fat and calories though. I eat Clif bars when I go backpacking, but they are like 240 calories and overall are just bad for you, I would never eat one on a day when I am going to be at work, sitting behind a desk.
  • albinogorilla
    albinogorilla Posts: 1,056 Member
    Options
    If you are doing strength training, lifting, etc, you need more protein to maintain your lean mass as you lose weight. How you get it doesn't really matter, as long as you maintain your calorie deficit in the process. I usually make my own, but when i dont have time they are quick and easy to grab. Eating sugar will not stop you from losing weight. Eating more calories than you burn will.
  • hthrld
    hthrld Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    If you look at the macros of a protein bar you'll find it fits very well as a meal replacement - not a snack. If you want a snack, have an apple or a can of tuna. If you missed lunch - have a bar.

I eat five small "meals" a day. I typically eat protein plus, which is around 200 cals, 20g protein, 4 carbs. I usually eat the bar before the gym, and then have something small afterwards.
  • hthrld
    hthrld Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I have a hard time getting enough protein, cuz I'm not a big meat eater.......so I nosh on a protein bar when my intake is low. Can't see why they'd be a problem, and certainly not much different than those who drink protein powders.

What are you worried about???

I know nothing about losing weight, nutrition, nothing. I just don't want to be putting something into my body thinking it wont be bad for me when in reality it is. Thats all. :)
  • 17DayDietGal
    17DayDietGal Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    If you're ok with the carb and sugar overload with them, go for it.

For me, I'd go with a protein shake made with Kefir or greek yogurt + fresh fruit.

With as much carbs and sugar as the protein bars have, a lot of people suffer that sugar or carb crash once it winds its way through your system.

There are a LOT more healthy ways to get your protein in than lacing it with so much c/s.
  • lilmisfit
    lilmisfit Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    Bump for recipe. Thanks!
  • deucesarewild1
    deucesarewild1 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I have a Clif Builder bar (20g protein) and some fruit or prunes ("dried plums" if you're squeamish) for lunch nearly every day at work. Not the greatest thing ever but it's the best that I can fit into my work environment!
  • funsiiz
    funsiiz Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Love love those new protein bars...taste like a candy bar :):bigsmile:
  • littlebeans
    littlebeans Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    My thing is that those bars can and do have A LOT of sugar. I eat them from time to time but I'm trying to avoid them entirely. I have enough cavities as it is :-)