ARGH!!! REALLY MAD AT MYSELF

sineadm09
sineadm09 Posts: 113
edited September 19 in Health and Weight Loss
I was doing really well on my diet for 1 week(long time for me lol) messed it up,binged for a few days now deleted all my diary entries and gonna start over.starting tomorrow,on 1,000 cals a day..how can i stop craving food? not just sweets any food ..this is really depressing me :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad:

Replies

• LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    1000 calories is too low for an adult woman. get back on the wagon, but do it in a smart, healthful way.

just in case you don't believe me:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/3047-700-calories-a-day-and-not-losing
  • adopt4
    adopt4 Posts: 970 Member
    You need to set reasonable expectations if you want to succeed. 1000 calories? Unless you're 4 ft tall, that's not enough. Your body will go into starvation mode, you will not lose weight or if you do every time you eat you'll gain it back, and your brain will constantly tell you you're hungry - because you are!

Don't look at this as a diet, but a lifestyle change. You're changing your lifestyle to eat healthier, get more exercise. This is not a "I'll do it for a month and all my problems will go away" because it doesn't work. Diets never work. Even the surgeries don't work (like gastic bypass) a lot of the time because of the dietary restrictions.

Set your calories to lose .5 per week. You don't have a lot to lose and it will take a long time. Eat your exercise calories. Work on toning yourself, you'll get a lot smaller and replace fat with muscle. I've lost 2 sizes and zero pounds this past month because I started working with a trainer. Inches matter, not just pounds.
  • Shinemaria
    Shinemaria Posts: 107 Member
    You should really be eating at LEAST 1200 cals a day, otherwise you're putting your body into starvation mode and making it hold on to any available food and store it as fat. if you eat a few more calories, your body will lose weight much easier :wink: and you'll probably feel better in regard to the cravings! Good luck!
  • madmama
    madmama Posts: 123 Member
    First off do not go below 1200 calories a day as below that can eventually cause other health issues.

With regard to cravings, cold turkey is best but will mean that there will probably lead to a fall off the wagon. Try finding other things to replace the foods you are craving, if you have a sweet tooth try fruit. If it is salt try almonds. If it is pop go to diet pop and then water. Moderation is best.
  • Marla64
    Marla64 Posts: 23,120 Member
    yes-- what everybody else said--

1000 is too low--

Be reasonable in your goals.

You'll stop craving sweets when you get them out of your system-- the longer you get away from them, the less you'll want them.
  • I think we all have fallen of the wagon at one time or another. Personally I don't think it is a good idea to delete your entries. Even when you binge, you should write the stuff down, it'll serve as a remainder of the things you don't want to do. I am 4'11", even I don't eat 1000 calories, I intake 1200 calories per day. Don't beat yourself up, just get up and continue, learn from your mistakes, don't erase them.
  • 1,000 calories you'll burn out--not to mention that just makes you lose weight short term but gain weight long term.

A healthy way to lose weight is not quickly, but steadily. And if you binge, it's okay to be mad at yourself, but tomorrow's another day.

Good luck, and just take it one day at a time :-)
  • berlin80210
    berlin80210 Posts: 59 Member
    First off - stop being mad at yourself
    Second - DON'T erase your entries!

Being angry at yourself will only make you want to eat more (especially if you eat your feelings like most people do) accept that you're human and move on...

By erasing your entries, you're only erasing the evidence of your human faults. Don't ignore or hide your human tendencies, but acknowledge them and use them as a foundation for doing better is the future!

Lastly, like everyone else has said - 1,000 calories a day is not only next to impossible to maintain, but impossible to be healthy for you. Lower your weekly expected weight loss and come join the rest of us who are aiming for .5 - 1 pound per week. You'll stop having to be angry at yourself and be much more relaxed in the process.

You're human - celebrate it!!!
  • azwildcatfan94
    azwildcatfan94 Posts: 314 Member
    What everyone else already said, plus, you have listed that your goal is to lose 14 pounds. In the grand scheme of things that is not a lot and your body will try to hold on to it. So, you have to figure out a plan for you that will have slow weight loss. Definitely include exercise, but start slowly and gradually increase. Otherwise you risk injuring yourself.
  • azwildcatfan94
    Oh, and since you are young, 20, you are lucky enough to burn more calories naturally that many of the rest of us, so even 1200 is probably too low. Use the tools on this site to find the correct calorie allowance for your age, height, weight, and activity level.
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    I don't think you should erase your food diary entries- those can come in handy later when you want to look back. You need to think of each day as a new day- in fact, each meal as a new meal and a chance to renew your goals. We all have ups and down, good days, bad days, great days, terrible days...log everything and try to do better at the next meal.

__

As everyone else said, you can't successfully lose weight and keep it off while starving yourself. Slow and steady is the way to go...this is a lifestyle change, not a diet.
    ___

Oh, and I crave food like you wouldn't believe. Not eating enough calories only makes it harder to fight off those cravings.
  • foxyforce
    foxyforce Posts: 3,078 Member
    I don't think you should erase your food diary entries- those can come in handy later when you want to look back. You need to think of each day as a new day- in fact, each meal as a new meal and a chance to renew your goals. We all have ups and down, good days, bad days, great days, terrible days...log everything and try to do better at the next meal.

i second this

in a long time from now youll be able to look back and see how far you truly have come. if you just delete them...then that sucks!
  • LivyJo
    LivyJo Posts: 355 Member
    Dont be mad at yourself! We all have hard times. I second the notion on not deleting the last entries, the DO come in helpful and you want to be able to see that stuff later.

I lost a bunch of weight a year ago on a different site, and then I joined MFP a week ago, and I have lost 4lbs since then. Yay 4 lbs in one week!! (super excited about that) I eat between 1300-1900 calories a day, but I also work out and earn my extra calories. and i do not feel deprived. Thats what making a true lifestyle change is all about. It will not stick if you completely cut out the things you love. just journal whatever it is that you ate, and then you will start to change your diet based on your own cravings and knowing what will give you the most caloric satisfaction.

Be easy on yourself, celebrate the fact that you on on the site to begin with! If losing weight is something you truly want to do, then you will find this is a great place to do it. :flowerforyou:
  • twotongal
    twotongal Posts: 12
    One,
    Own up to it never ease, learn from it and be wiser next time.
    You should never feel bad about you, at the 1ft bite know I will enjoy this and will note I want to need this.

Keeping the entry will help you later when you will need to know your weak times in your new life.

You will get over the mind needing food in time, as body hungry is different than mind want food.
    I want a roast beef sub from subway once a month, I know I don't need it as body is not hungry but for me this is a want I will fill.
    I want Burger king sausage egg sandwich with the McDonald hash brown. I get it once every 3 months.

Make a list keep it to yourself of the real foods you eat, in the beginning i had chips, pizza, cookies galore on it, after 30 days of really real time charting of my intake, I placed seasoned popcorn for the food my mind wanted, plain popcorn will fool the stomach the seasoning, dry cooking seasoning, will fool the tongue.
    After time chips fell off the intake i just don't grave em anymore, pop was replaced with fully with Seltzer water, i like my fizzy.

Two,
    Your new life will start wanting new things make old things a rite.
    Graving is just a want of the mind, make it work for it.
    Every time you need a food, discipline yourself, I have to do.... before I can sit and calmly enjoy that food.

I scrub my floors or cupboards before I can add a food, I grave, if out i hold my stomach in for 15 min. with posture perfect sitting/standing/walking before I go and need a food.
    Most times, I find i don't want the food after all, even when I "paid" for it .
    Don't just woof it down, Make it into somthing special, after all you know it's a want not need, so make it a fulfilled need heart mind and soul.
    Take that sub, and walk down to the lake play music you enjoy, eat it as though it was a gift from the gwads themselves. Eat slow, think of the taste, why you wanted it and enjoy that with every bite.

In time, you will see these need that food as perks to your new life, taking just That food that day on your cal. diet.
    Walk 5 min. after the food, slow non workout pace will help also with gas in intestines, bloat, savor the need food, think of all the work you did to earn such a treat.

New life style means new way of thinking, I treat my self to one sausage with egg sandwich at a sitting now, as 470 cals are a lot for one sandwich, my work out says I can have 4 if I wanted too, but it only takes me one now, to cure my want.

New day new entry, like yourself today.

TTG
  • sineadm09
    sineadm09 Posts: 113
    thanks all

I realize now I shouldnt have deleted them..well,at least I can learn from that too lol
    and Ive decided to stick with 1200 p/d

thanks so much for the support xx
  • azwildcatfan94
    How tall are you? I ask because I am not convinced that 1200 is enought calories for you for HEALTHY weight loss. Especially for the amount of exercise you listed. Are you eating back your exercise calories?
  • gemiwing
    gemiwing Posts: 1,525 Member
    How tall are you? I ask because I am not convinced that 1200 is enought calories for you for HEALTHY weight loss. Especially for the amount of exercise you listed. Are you eating back your exercise calories?

I'm with you on wondering about this.

You have to try and be realistic about what to expect in your weight loss.

Those commercials on tv where people lose 40llbs in a month? Lies.

Those 'articles' in magazines talking about people losing ten inches in a week? Lies.

Don't let them win. Go out- find Trustworthy info and figure out how YOU need to utilize it for YOUR weight loss goals.

You can do this! :drinker:
This discussion has been closed.