Does anyone else's moods drop because of dieting?

When I diet I become sad and deppressive. I really wish I could eat the delicious things I want, but I know I can't. Not eating makes me lethargic, tired, and sad... sometimes irritable. Is anyone else like this?

Replies

• Thank you for bringing this topic up. YES!!! I have been dieting for about 3 weeks now and I can feel myself losing interest in the things I once loved and my family says that I'm getting grumpier by the minute. I don't know if its the lack of hormones from fast food but if if doesn't change soon, I might just revert back to my fast food eating non dieting happier days. HELP!!!!!
  • ladyace2078
    ladyace2078 Posts: 460 Member
    Then don't diet. Change your lifestyle. I don't feel tired, hungry, or grouchy. I feel like I have more energy and my mood is improved. I recommend taking a look at how much you eat--you may not be getting enough.
  • jarrettd
    jarrettd Posts: 872 Member
    It's not just you. Any monumental change has an adjustment period. I was a smoker and an unhealthy eater. I still have days that I grieve for that care-free part of me.

A few things that helped me:

consume fewer simple carbs. Sugars burn up fast and leave you feeling low. Replace them, or at least pair them, with protein or complex (slow) carbs. You feel full longer and avoid insulin spikes and crashes.

make sure you aren't trying too hard. Setting your calories to bare minimum can be counter-productive. You are more prone to cheat or give up if you feel too deprived. Set your loss to .5 pounds/week, and give yourself some time to learn new food habits.

You can still have the treats you crave, but enjoy sparingly and with self-discipline. If you just can't keep yourself from gorging once you start, then you may want to avoid those triggers until you are more in control.

get moving! Earning more calories from exercise not only expands your food choices, being active stimulates a lot of feel-good chemicals in your brain and body, as well as being an esteem-booster.

Give yourself some time. Set mini-goals. Celebrate every success, even if it's just saying no to that 2nd cookie!

You can do this AND be happy! Best of luck to you!
  • nsblue
    nsblue Posts: 331 Member
    Changing ones lifestyle can be a big one. A bigtime grief because of your once emotional attatchment to certain foods is no more. It is hard transition to get through...but in the long end it is sooo much better being healthy. My sadness and frustration soon ended in the beginning...I kept busy and focused on something else to keep my mind occupied.
  • FitForLife81
    FitForLife81 Posts: 372 Member
    Yup I bet you are not eating enough. Eat more protein it will leave you satisfied longer!
  • icandoit203
    icandoit203 Posts: 170 Member
    maybe you are not eating enough not enough protein and veggies, so that is the reason you seem to be grumpy. Believe me I know.
  • bradthemedic
    bradthemedic Posts: 623 Member
    Not eating enough causes mood issues. Focus on eating enough calories and nutrient dense foods. Eat clean and no processed foods. It's changed my life.
  • I spent a few weeks at 1300 calories when I started dieting and it made me megacranky. As soon as I went up to 2000, I felt better, exercised better, slept better, and finally dropped my first couple of pounds.