Where to hold my cell phone when running?

Options
Hi everyone,

I just started running this past December and now that it is getting warmer and I'd be crazy to run in a sweater, does anyone have a good recommendation for something to buy to carry my phone in? I have an HTC Merge- it is a bit on the bulky side but I was wondering if there is a good arm band that will securely carry that while I run.

Replies

• MissingMinnesota
    MissingMinnesota Posts: 7,486 Member
    Options
    I am sure there is probably an arm band that would fit it but right now I just put my iphone in my bra.
  • saracatherine89
    saracatherine89 Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    Also- my phone is an HTC Merge, which is one of the BIGGEST smartphones I've ever seen due to its qwerty keyboard.
  • Superchikanthem
    Superchikanthem Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    I have yet to try it but if you cut off the leg part of a tub sock you can slid that up your arms then fold it in half and it creates a pocket for your phone!
  • LilRedRooster
    LilRedRooster Posts: 1,421 Member
    Options
    I am sure there is probably an arm band that would fit it but right now I just put my iphone in my bra.

I totally wish I could do that, haha. I sweat so much my phone would drown between my boobs.

I finally caved and bought a waist pouch that has removable water bottles, because my boyfriend kept bugging me about being safe and having my phone with me. REI has a lot of dfferent options, but they have some that are small enough to not be a nuisance amd stay tucked under a shirt.
  • runnercheryl
    runnercheryl Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    They do make arm bands big enough. My phone is a big smartphone with QWERTY keyboard, and I have a band it fits in fine.
  • rachelmorgan77
    rachelmorgan77 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Not sure if this helps, but....
    Try asking where you bought your phone. They love to sell you extra crap - and surely they have something that will work. I have a Droid, and bought my sleeve from them. Luckily it came in a two-pack so I gave one to my husband and kept one for myself. You could also try sporting goods places like ****s and Sheels, and ask in the running department.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't recommend putting it in your bra if you get super sweaty. I did that a few times last summer and my screen got all weird! It was ok after it dried out but hard to read for a few days.

If you go to amazon.com, you can do a search for "armband HTC Merge" and I'm sure options will come up. There seem to be a few models that pretty much fit any cell.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss/175-9979530-8571704?url=search-alias=aps&field-keywords=armband+HTC+merge
  • tamraj
    tamraj Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I just bought Activesleeve made by NXE at Radio Shack; 2 pack 1 black,1 white for $30.00. Used it this morning for first time- worked fine- has a moisture- wicking pocket- don't know about you but if my phone is touching my body anywhere (especially my bra) it is going to get wet, especially with summer coming on. My phone (Droid with a cover) fit the pocket snugly, and stayed up on arm but it is not exactly convenient to access the screen, which is not so terrible when using Bluetooth head phones which has controls on the set but forgot to charge them so had to go wired. There may be better ones out there but I was desperate and didn't want to wait.
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
  • Gr8nurs1271
    Gr8nurs1271 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Bra!
  • Jezebel9
    Jezebel9 Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    I have yet to try it but if you cut off the leg part of a tub sock you can slid that up your arms then fold it in half and it creates a pocket for your phone!

awesome idea!
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    I carry mine in an armband - works great, especially since I have my music on my phone and that way I can plug in my headphones if I want running music. They have a New Balance armband at Target, it's about $20 I think - or check Marshalls or TJ Maxx if you have them in your area - they often have that kind of stuff for a whole lot less. Mine was $9.99 at TJ Maxx.
  • KristyJoy123
    KristyJoy123 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I have an HTC Evo 4G, which is also massive and I have an armband that sort of works, but the plastic sleeve gets all wet from condensation when it's in there, so I started wearing two sports bras and tucking it between the layers of fabric. I know it sounds crazy, but it works and my phone stays dry. I've been doing it for years and I haven't found the need for an alternative. The arm bands also kind of...bounce around when you have a heavier phone.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    Armband. I have a qwerty keyboard LG that's fairly big and I got my current armband really cheap at either walmart or target, it's a generic sportline brand designed to fit almost any phone...

I sometimes do stick it in the bra, but I put it in a ziplock baggie before putting it in my bra- keeps it from being exposed to the sweat.
  • saracatherine89
    saracatherine89 Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    I am also going to throw it out there that I have giant boobs and my bra is not an option..lol
  • stylistchik
    stylistchik Posts: 1,436 Member
    Options
    I bought a hydration belt with a pocket that I keep my phone in when I wear it, otherwise I have the dog leash in one hand and the phone in the other.
  • Starlage
    Starlage Posts: 1,709 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem- I solved it by putting my phone first in ziplock baggie to protect it from sweat and then I stick in in my sports bra right next to my boob/ under my arm almost- this is the only place I've found that it won't move too much (i have to wear two sports bras to keep the girls controlled, so I put the phone between the bras)
  • reyopo
    reyopo Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I'm honestly not saying this to be rude or argumentative...but could you leave it home? How long is your run? An hour, tops? I always leave my phone in my locker at the gym or yoga...whatever it is has to wait for those, why not a run? I know I concentrate on my workout WAY better when I'm not checking for text messages constantly. If you use it for music, like an iPod...well, that's different.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    I'm honestly not saying this to be rude or argumentative...but could you leave it home? How long is your run? An hour, tops? I always leave my phone in my locker at the gym or yoga...whatever it is has to wait for those, why not a run? I know I concentrate on my workout WAY better when I'm not checking for text messages constantly. If you use it for music, like an iPod...well, that's different.

I carry my phone for 3 reasons- music, Runkeeper app (to track my run) and safety.
  • Starlage
    Starlage Posts: 1,709 Member
    Options

definitely not. common safety requirement these days. A woman running alone should always carry a cell phone.