Weight of the nation

Options
Talk about motivation! This is an amazing documentary series done cooperatively by CDC, IOM, and NIH.

Available for free viewing at: http://theweightofthenation.hbo.com/films/main-films/Consequences#/watch/main-films/Consequences

Replies

• LastMinuteMama
    LastMinuteMama Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    I almost posted this today as well. I only watched the third segment, about the children. It's heartbreaking.

The thing of it all is, that I feel so far removed from it...like is this really happening? It's not happpening at my home, but I see it everywhere I go. What really struck me was when they said, "If we told you that your child was at risk for cancer..." People would react differently. Diabetes is no joke! The other health & emotional affects of obesity are no joke either. I hope change comes and soon.

Was is just me, or did it seem like the main problem was the school system - no gym class, pre-packaged lunches filled with sodium & fat ,all of the vending machines???

Maybe it's time to "turn back time" and run school cafeterias they way they did in the past?
  • rockinright
    rockinright Posts: 241
    Options
    I almost posted this today as well. I only watched the third segment, about the children. It's heartbreaking.

The thing of it all is, that I feel so far removed from it...like is this really happening? It's not happpening at my home, but I see it everywhere I go. What really struck me was when they said, "If we told you that your child was at risk for cancer..." People would react differently. Diabetes is no joke! The other health & emotional affects of obesity are no joke either. I hope change comes and soon.

Was is just me, or did it seem like the main problem was the school system - no gym class, pre-packaged lunches filled with sodium & fat ,all of the vending machines???

Maybe it's time to "turn back time" and run school cafeterias they way they did in the past?

How was that? When I was in school they served decent-tasting but nutritionally deficient french bread pizza, soy/beef burgers, etc.
  • rockinright
    Options

The "do something" cries from documentaries like this bother me.

Can we really trust a government, who "overeats" our tax dollars and drove us 15 trillion in debt, to regulate our diets?

Just food for thought.
  • takingnameskickingbutt
    takingnameskickingbutt Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I was so hoping someone would post about this! I saw part one and two yesterday ... I was beyong intrigued! It was both heart-breaking and showed the toxic affects of the food industry.
  • jennifer52484
    jennifer52484 Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    bump
  • angeldaae
    angeldaae Posts: 348 Member
    Options

How was that? When I was in school they served decent-tasting but nutritionally deficient french bread pizza, soy/beef burgers, etc.

You are only 34 years old. Yes, your school lunches were crap, as were mine (I'm 27). But before our time, like when our parents were in school, the lunches were "real" food and were cooked on-site.
  • rockinright
    Options

Can we really trust a government, who "overeats" our tax dollars and drove us 15 trillion in debt, to regulate our diets?

Just food for thought.

I haven't seen this, but would like to.

That said, this as well as movies like "Supersize Me" and books like "Skinny *****" have AN AGENDA. While we all agree that the US, and, to some degree, the developed world, could use some in-your-face lessons about health, weight, food, etc., these "documentaries" ALWAYS have an agenda and it's not necessarily what we think it is.

Just my $0.02.

As far as kids, my wife and I do worry about ours. Despite the fact that our 3 year old is skinny, in fact, a bit too skinny for his height despite his eating, we remember both of us once were, too. Our weightloss is a lifestyle change, too, one that we plan to raise our kids to live by as well.
  • rockinright
    Options

You are only 34 years old. Yes, your school lunches were crap, as were mine (I'm 27). But before our time, like when our parents were in school, the lunches were "real" food and were cooked on-site.

Good point. Thanks.
  • MissTattoo
    MissTattoo Posts: 1,203 Member
    Options
    My mother never let us eat school lunches because she said they were crap. Do kids not take bag lunches anymore?
  • rockinright
    Options
    My mother never let us eat school lunches because she said they were crap. Do kids not take bag lunches anymore?

My impression from kids I know these days is that it's not "cool" to bring a bag lunch.
  • ajelove
    ajelove Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I've been watching too! I never thought of how some areas have NO grocery stores within miles or sidewalks. Great documentaries.
  • angeldaae
    angeldaae Posts: 348 Member
    Options

A lot of children are on free or reduced lunch (and sometimes also breakfast), as that is the only way their family can afford to feed them. Many times these free meals at school are the only meals a child will eat that day.
  • pmaxson
    pmaxson Posts: 137
    Options
    The first segment, which isn't about children specifically, is sobering and fascinating. Yes, everything we read, hear, and watch has an agenda, as do each one of us, but no one can argue the rise in obesity in our country.
  • DrivenDiva
    DrivenDiva Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Agenda or not, how can you not be compelled by side by side comparison of a healthy weight person vs. the enlarged heart of an obese person! What I found most interesting is the suggestions they made for successful weight loss are the tenets that are offered here on MFP... Don't drink your calories, set realistic goals, exercise, seek support, portion control and track your calories!!!

We are well on our way to reversing this epidemic.
  • LastMinuteMama
    Options

Just food for thought.

I didn't mean to imply that the big government take charge and makes rules and regulations. I agree, they can hardly handle the problems they have already. Not sure if you watched the segment, but it seems like the reaction was all, "how did this happen?" Then they talked about the schools and the lunch programs. It's definitely a multi-faceted problem, but if they simply cooked real food at schools and added gym classes back in that would be a great place to start.

I do understand it's a documentary and the angle is skewed, however, you can't walk down the street without seeing overweight people everywhere. Children are helpless. They have no control over what is served to them. At the local level in schools, those changes can be made.
  • rockinright
    Options
    Agenda or not, how can you not be compelled by side by side comparison of a healthy weight person vs. the enlarged heart of an obese person! What I found most interesting is the suggestions they made for successful weight loss are the tenets that are offered here on MFP... Don't drink your calories, set realistic goals, exercise, seek support, portion control and track your calories!!!

We are well on our way to reversing this epidemic.

We here at MFP are doing it the right way. What I don't want to see is Soviet-style "indoctrination" - this is not something that can/should be fixed by government, it has to be fixed by US.
  • rockinright
    Options

I didn't mean to imply that the big government take charge and makes rules and regulations. I agree, they can hardly handle the problems they have already. Not sure if you watched the segment, but it seems like the reaction was all, "how did this happen?" Then they talked about the schools and the lunch programs. It's definitely a multi-faceted problem, but if they simply cooked real food at schools and added gym classes back in that would be a great place to start.

I do understand it's a documentary and the angle is skewed, however, you can't walk down the street without seeing overweight people everywhere. Children are helpless. They have no control over what is served to them. At the local level in schools, those changes can be made.

I'll watch it - I'm intrigued by it.
  • LastMinuteMama
    Options
    I've been watching too! I never thought of how some areas have NO grocery stores within miles or sidewalks. Great documentaries.

I went to visit my sister in El Paso, TX and after a little tour of the place, I asked her, "Are there any supermarkets?, Where do you buy food?" It was just one fast food place after another, after another....I couldn't believe it!
  • tialeanne
    tialeanne Posts: 186 Member
    Options

We here at MFP are doing it the right way. What I don't want to see is Soviet-style "indoctrination" - this is not something that can/should be fixed by government, it has to be fixed by US.

WE are the government. I'm so sick of people thinking that anything that is "socialized" is evil soviet style leninesque cubanism. God almighty people. Public school is a good thing, free and reduced lunch for the poor is a good thing, and nutritious food in the public schools that we fund would be a good thing. Just because the government provides and regulates it does not automatically make it "indoctrination" or bad.
  • rockinright
    Options

WE are the government. I'm so sick of people thinking that anything that is "socialized" is evil soviet style leninesque cubanism. God almighty people. Public school is a good thing, free and reduced lunch for the poor is a good thing, and nutritious food in the public schools that we fund would be a good thing. Just because the government provides and regulates it does not automatically make it "indoctrination" or bad.

What I'm talking about is micromanagement crap. Like disallowing farmer's markets in some local areas, or not allowing raw milk to be sold regardless of any precautions etc. That kind of stuff filtering to EVERYTHING we do dietarily is not a pleasant thought.

Look at the disagreement here on MFP as to the "best" diet - no carbs, no fat, calories only, or those that believe the food type matters. In the end, what works for me might not work for you. Could you imagine government regulations trying to sort all that out? Requiring "real" (as opposed to processed) foods in schools is a good idea, but you and I both know it won't stop there. Maybe they'll ban all meats? That might not work for the high protein, low carb diets some people swear by. Or, say they ban or restrict carbs? Same problem in reverse.