The Skinny on Obesity - UCTV Documentary

Options
MoreBean13
MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
Anyone else watching this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h0zD1gj0pXk&feature=channel&list=UL

I think it presents some really interesting and logical arguments about the root of obesity. They say the "calorie is a calorie" argument is one of the lead causes of obesity. Of course, its not that simple, and there's biochemical and hormonal reasons, but this series of videos, I think, is really interesting. Thoughts?

Replies

• grinch031
    grinch031 Posts: 1,679
    Options
    From everything I've read, watched, learned I strongly think that calorie intake is almost entirely regulated by the body for better or worse and that we can only temporarily override that with behavioral changes. I think the problem is not sedentary lifestyles, but it is simply the type of foods most of us are eating that wreak havoc on our bodies, causing us to crave more and more food. I think we still haven't figured out exactly what it is about the foods that is bad, whether its sugar, pesticides, or other chemicals used to process them. One thing that seems certain is that processed foods seem to more highly correlated with obesity. If it was behavioral, then I don't see why there are so many people who don't care about their health (poor eating, no exercise) but remain thin. There are certainly lots of fat people, but too many skinny people to make me think its just a behavioral problem.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    From everything I've read, watched, learned I strongly think that calorie intake is almost entirely regulated by the body for better or worse and that we can only temporarily override that with behavioral changes. I think the problem is not sedentary lifestyles, but it is simply the type of foods most of us are eating that wreak havoc on our bodies, causing us to crave more and more food. I think we still haven't figured out exactly what it is about the foods that is bad, whether its sugar, pesticides, or other chemicals used to process them. One thing that seems certain is that processed foods seem to more highly correlated with obesity. If it was behavioral, then I don't see why there are so many people who don't care about their health (poor eating, no exercise) but remain thin. There are certainly lots of fat people, but too many skinny people to make me think its just a behavioral problem.

I agree. This particular series puts the blame heavily on sugar, specifically fructose- which I am not sure whether I buy in to, but I definitely think processed foods are a huge problem.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Tagging to look at later
  • sshetland
    sshetland Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I just came across this series. It is very informative and interesting. Despite the heavy emphasis on sugar, I think the arguments are quite balanced, having watched the series with some previous knowledge.

Bumping for others' interest.
  • 2hmom
    2hmom Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    Bumpity, bump, bump, I agree. Save for later.
  • Nesa76
    Nesa76 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I totally agree with you grinch031 - I have overweight friends who eat nothing but processed foods and no vegetables, with a calorie intake which should see them losing weight, yet they don't.
  • 366to266
    366to266 Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    A calorie is NOT a calorie (if you see what I mean!)

Take two obese people

Give one a diet composed entirely of fat. Olive oil, coconut oil, lard. 2,500 calories a day

Give the other the same 2,500 calories, but in cookies, pastries, ice cream, donuts.

One will lose weight and the other will gain.

Why? Because of insulin.
  • Minnie2361
    Minnie2361 Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3sKxfImHkFI

watching it right now
    Excellent Documentary done by the University of California a must watch. You cannot deny that sugar is a leading cause of metabolic diseases.

two molecules glucose and fructose
    when you put fat and carbohydrates together they don't work. sugar is both fat and carbohydrate at the same time No other food stuff that has fat and carbohydrate at the same time except sugar.

It discusses new hormones discovered and the role they play in obesity. Leptin why did it work 30 years ago and not today, this is a vital description of this documentary.
  • KeriA
    KeriA Posts: 3,270 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    Take two obese people

Give one a diet composed entirely of fat. Olive oil, coconut oil, lard. 2,500 calories a day

Give the other the same 2,500 calories, but in cookies, pastries, ice cream, donuts.

Bull****. They will both lose weight, and the same amount of weight at that.
  • Minnie2361
    Minnie2361 Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    Here is a great education video from the University of California. It explains so much. Deals with the real issues.
    if your overweight well 60 percent of the U.S. is , that is a high number and it has all happened in the last 30 years.

• Sarauk2sf
    Options
    Here is a great education video from the University of California. It explains so much. Deals with the real issues.
    if your overweight well 60 percent of the U.S. is , that is a high number and it has all happened in the last 30 years.

And if you do, I would check this out which points out the flaws in lolstig's arguments:

http://www.alanaragonblog.com/2010/01/29/the-bitter-truth-about-fructose-alarmism/
  • gigglesinthesun
    gigglesinthesun Posts: 860 Member
    Options

Take two obese people

Why? Because of insulin.

2500 cals a day ... it leaves to reason that if they are both sitting around they will both gain weight.

however, it might be worth pointing out the Twinkie diet http://edition.cnn.com/2010/HEALTH/11/08/twinkie.diet.professor/index.html

I think we as society in general eat too much sugar all the time ... we don't read labels, we ignore what is staring us in the face (yes dear mother-in-law a flavoured Nestle coffee sachet with 10.4g of sugar means that there are 2.5 teaspoons of sugar in it so it is not the same as the coffee you used to have that was freeze dried and had a bit of skimmed milk in it ... sorry we have this discussion often), but I don't think the sugar or fructose or anything in isolation is the one cause of being overweight. Even if you only eat healthy foods, if you eat too much you gain weight, because my body couldn't care less if the cals came from a donut or from lentils, if it has too much it'll store it :-)
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

Take two obese people

Why? Because of insulin.

http://www.weightology.net/weightologyweekly/?page_id=319