Has Anyone Obese Tried the New Rules of Lifting for Woman?

Options
I was reading the reviews on Amazon and one said it wouldn’t be helpful for people 50-100 lbs over weight. I am trying to find something that will work for me as well as hold the attention of my 14 year olds who think 30DS is too easy.
Any thoughts?

Replies

• LabRat529
    LabRat529 Posts: 1,323 Member
    Options
    I am obese. I started out with New Rules of Lifting for Women. I LOVE lifting. LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE it. Can't say enough good things about it.

But... it's not a miracle fix-everything solution. It will not make you super-model thin unless you ALSO eat at a calorie deficit. I have not been able to eat at a deficit consistently and so I'm still fat. However, I am WAY happier being fat with muscle under my fat than I ever was being fat with no muscle.

Here's the good things lifting has done for me:

I can walk without pain for the first time in years... lifting has strengthened the muscles in my back and hips making them strong enough to support those joints better. I'm not 'crooked' any more and I don't hobble like an old lady. I used to. I'm only 34 but I used to walk slightly bent over.

I can hike up steep mountain inclines for the first time in years.

My blood pressure has gone down.

I have greater cardio/respiratory health... I don't sound like a freight train after walking a mile. I can breath easy. My heart beats strong and happy.

I FEEL amazing even if I'm still fat. I actually like looking in the mirror sometimes. And oh my gosh I got all giddy yesterday because I could SEE those amazing muscles in my legs when I was shaving. I mean... I've felt them... but I can see them under the right conditions now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And... I get hit on in the gym. Twice now. I never though I was pretty or that I could turn heads. But twice now.

I also don't have to get some boy to pick up something heavy.

And I'm at less risk for injury now. This old lady played floor hockey with a bunch of kids. How's that for awesome? I wouldn't have done that a year ago.

So.... that's all. Just understand it's not going to be a quick fix. But if you go into it with the desire to be stronger and healthier, you'll be happy.
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    I am obese. I started out with New Rules of Lifting for Women. I LOVE lifting. LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE it. Can't say enough good things about it.

But... it's not a miracle fix-everything solution. It will not make you super-model thin unless you ALSO eat at a calorie deficit. I have not been able to eat at a deficit consistently and so I'm still fat. However, I am WAY happier being fat with muscle under my fat than I ever was being fat with no muscle.

I can walk without pain for the first time in years... lifting has strengthened the muscles in my back and hips making them strong enough to support those joints better. I'm not 'crooked' any more and I don't hobble like an old lady. I used to. I'm only 34 but I used to walk slightly bent over.

I have greater cardio/respiratory health... I don't sound like a freight train after walking a mile. I can breath easy. My heart beats strong and happy.

I FEEL amazing even if I'm still fat. I actually like looking in the mirror sometimes. And oh my gosh I got all giddy yesterday because I could SEE those amazing muscles in my legs when I was shaving. I mean... I've felt them... but I can see them under the right conditions now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And... I get hit on in the gym. Twice now. I never though I was pretty or that I could turn heads. But twice now.

And I'm at less risk for injury now. This old lady played floor hockey with a bunch of kids. How's that for awesome? I wouldn't have done that a year ago.

So.... that's all. Just understand it's not going to be a quick fix. But if you go into it with the desire to be stronger and healthier, you'll be happy.

I've never gotten hit on at the gym! :smokin:
  • infamousmk
    infamousmk Posts: 6,033 Member
    Options
    LabRat is spot-on. I have 50 pounds to lose, and I LOVE LIFTING. I feel so good - strong and healthy. My overall fitness has increased. I haven't lost pounds in the last few months, but I've dropped almost two full dress sizes. Which is my goal - to be strong and healthy and smaller. The number on the scale doesn't matter.

I started lifting because I homebrew and got sick of asking my fiancee to lift heavy brewing equipment around the house for me. I'm very happy to report that in the last four months of lifting weights, I have gained the strength needed to manage my hobby on my own.

Oh, and I'm starting to look pretty damn amazing naked.
  • TrophyWifeSass
    TrophyWifeSass Posts: 490 Member
    Options

This is why you are my friend. So stinkin' proud of you!
  • maab_connor
    maab_connor Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    i ADORE lifting. and i'm about to start NROL4W. remember that, even though the pound reduction WILL slow, muscles increase your metabolism, so just standing there, you will burn more fat with more muscle. and you CAN lift on a deficit. you won't gain the kind of muscle you eventually will, when you go to maint. calories, but you will STILL lose weight and you will be so much healthier when your weight comes off. the sooner we lift, the better off we are.
  • MyFeistyEvolution
    MyFeistyEvolution Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    Nope wrong. I have 100 lbs to lose and lifting has done wonders for me. I'm stronger and getting smaller. Does my scale number always go the way I want? No BUT the benefits of lifting erase that for me.
  • WhittRak
    WhittRak Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    I am thinking about adding some weight lifting to my cardio routine and do not know where to begin! If anyone has some tips please add me, I could use the advice. Thanks in advance!
  • CarriLu123
    CarriLu123 Posts: 82 Member
    Options

Thats awesome thank you. This gives me some hope of finding something that works that we can do together.

I plan on eatting 20% below my tdee until I lose some weight and then will perhaps re-evaluate and change to 15%.
  • david_swinstead
    david_swinstead Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    Being obese when you lift is (in a way) a good position to be in.

Normally you can't gain muscle while you're eating a calorie deficit. This is not true if you are heavily overweight; you're one of the lucky few who can do both at the same time.

So yes, definitely lift. Getting stronger will make you feel better in so many ways.

Clouds, silver linings, and all that :)
  • CarriLu123
    Options
    LabRat is spot-on. I have 50 pounds to lose, and I LOVE LIFTING. I feel so good - strong and healthy. My overall fitness has increased. I haven't lost pounds in the last few months, but I've dropped almost two full dress sizes. Which is my goal - to be strong and healthy and smaller. The number on the scale doesn't matter.

I started lifting because I homebrew and got sick of asking my fiancee to lift heavy brewing equipment around the house for me. I'm very happy to report that in the last four months of lifting weights, I have gained the strength needed to manage my hobby on my own.

Thats great thank you for the reply.
  • beckyinma
    beckyinma Posts: 1,433 Member
    Options
    Have you been to the JPfitness NROLFW forums? THere's a thread specifically about this with some good info:

http://www.jpfitness.com/showthread.php?t=50457

I think it's a great way to get into shape.

Ever watched biggest loser, or extreme makeover WLE?? They're doing cardio and strength! Strength training is a HUGE part of getting fit correctly if you ask me... :)
  • david_swinstead
    david_swinstead Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    I am thinking about adding some weight lifting to my cardio routine and do not know where to begin! If anyone has some tips please add me, I could use the advice. Thanks in advance!

That's easy: read the book that this thread is talking about!

You can pick up New Rules of Lifting For Women online for around £10
  • CarriLu123
    Options
    Being obese when you lift is (in a way) a good position to be in.

Normally you can't gain muscle while you're eating a calorie deficit. This is not true if you are heavily overweight; you're one of the lucky few who can do both at the same time.

So yes, definitely lift. Getting stronger will make you feel better in so many ways.

Clouds, silver linings, and all that :)

For once being over weight is a plus YES!!!

Thank you :laugh:
  • Silverkittycat
    Silverkittycat Posts: 1,997 Member
    Options
  • kmjenkins
    kmjenkins Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    I just started Phase II today and am really enjoying it. Nearly everything is modifable when needed and in my opinion really suits most anyone that can pick up a weight. To disclose however I don't follow the eating plan and I also do cardio, but I am really enjoying the weight lifting program and am seeing results. I lost 5 total inches during Phase I, but not many lbs, it will take some time for your body to adjust to the lifting I think, but don't get discouraged. Be sure to measure and take pictures if you decide to go with the program. Good luck!
  • CorinthiaB
    CorinthiaB Posts: 488 Member
    Options

You made my day! I am also doing strength training and the scale hasn't moved much since October. I think I may have lost 7-8 since then. I joined the gym in January and I have lost inches. At my highest I was wearing 22/24 and now I am between 18/20s. I went into Lane Bryant today and tried on a pair 18 jeans. They were the tummy slim jeans and the 18 didn't work for me but the 20 did. I know I am dropping something. LOL. I have banned my scale until the 13th of July. Again, thanks for your post.
  • XFitMojoMom
    XFitMojoMom Posts: 3,255 Member
    Options
    The "obese" girls at my crossfit box all lift heavier than the "skinny" girls - true story.
  • ipsamet
    ipsamet Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    I'm really glad you asked this! I've been doing some weight training (which I loooooove!), but was kinda scared to try this program specifically until I got closer to my goal weight, but I think you all have changed my mind. Thank you!
  • tameko2
    tameko2 Posts: 31,634 Member
    Options

This is the best response to this question ever written. quick, put it in a blog post so we can all link to to people later.
  • tameko2
    tameko2 Posts: 31,634 Member
    Options
    The "obese" girls at my crossfit box all lift heavier than the "skinny" girls - true story.

*cough* yeah well being overweight DOES come with both extra muscle and extra fuel to push. All serious powerlifters are overweight - I mean not just BMI wise, but they have the fat that comes with bulking.

You won't regret it OP. Or anyone obese or overweight reading this. I'm still overweight on the BMI chart (26-27 BMI) but no one who looks at me would ever guess it. That's worth a lot.

and my husband had horrible flexibility and core strength issues and lifting has done a ton to fix it, and he doesn't do ANYTHING else -- he doesn't even do core specific workouts -- and even his computer-programmer hunch back looks quite a bit better these days.