How many friends?

Options
Question? Why do some people here on MFP have so many friends on their list? It is impossible for one to respond and encourage so many friends. I see some people have over 200 friends! Crazy!! What number do you think is manageable?

Replies

• runnercheryl
    runnercheryl Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    I have 60-something, I think. It's far too many for me to regularly respond to and interact with, and I feel quite rude sometimes, but I figure it's up to other people if they want to be my friend or not. I love reading what people have to say, I just don't have time to respond and won't bother posting generic replies. If I respond to a friend's post, it's something I've taken an extra level of interest in.

As I say, I like having all my friends and seeing what they have to say, so I'd certainly accept more, but I do feel there are a few I'm getting closer to and speaking to more frequently as time goes on.
  • chelsea_thatsme
    chelsea_thatsme Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I have 60-something, I think. It's far too many for me to regularly respond to and interact with, and I feel quite rude sometimes, but I figure it's up to other people if they want to be my friend or not. I love reading what people have to say, I just don't have time to respond and won't bother posting generic replies. If I respond to a friend's post, it's something I've taken an extra level of interest in.

As I say, I like having all my friends and seeing what they have to say, so I'd certainly accept more, but I do feel there are a few I'm getting closer to and speaking to more frequently as time goes on.

I feel the same way. I am not able to respond to everyone's posts. But I do enjoy reading them. Sometimes I do feel bad about not replying to everyone.
  • Presley0381
    Presley0381 Posts: 88
    Options
    I have quite a few. But I love making new friends. I'm very active on this site and even though it's hard to respond to everyone at once, I do my best! Some of us need lots of encouragement ; )
  • TheFitHooker
    TheFitHooker Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    I have over 800, reason being, it's on my profile I accept most people and I talk a lot, people usually add me, I add very few. I don't turn people down because if they want to on my list then I'll let them till they prove they don't need to be. Who cares who has so many friends? I don't, if I don't respond to everyone, well I respond to as much as I can. I enjoy having new people, and if people want to add me I don't turn them down. I have facebook for my personal friends, I have MFP for meeting new people.
  • Debbe2
    Debbe2 Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    I love the support and interaction. Keeps me coming back for more and it becomes a community instead of a lonesome struggle. I love my MFP friends!
  • danielny86
    danielny86 Posts: 4
    Options
    I have been using the app for a week now and it's definitely keeping me more than on track...but I have NO friends! :(
  • lorac321
    lorac321 Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    I stay under 100. There are about 20 that I communicate with on a regular basis and they are awesome! I must say though that different friends offer different things. Some are funny, some more supportive, some need support, some I learn tips from and some that offer it all and eye candy as well...
  • Meg_78
    Meg_78 Posts: 998 Member
    Options
    I have just under 60 right now, I'd say 50 is my ideal amount. At this point I probably have actual daily conversations with about 35 of them (more than just the "way to go" support, I actually follow whats up in their lives and adore them as people!) then I get and give basic support to another 15, then the last 10 are there for simply cause they have the same goals as me....Too many friends and my news feed is a mess, I regularly cull my list of inactive or boring friends. If people don't want to interact with me in some way, there is absolutely no need to keep them on my friends list, everything about me is public anyway.
  • Cheri_Moves
    Cheri_Moves Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    I stay under 100. There are about 20 that I communicate with on a regular basis and they are awesome! I must say though that different friends offer different things. Some are funny, some more supportive, some need support, some I learn tips from and some that offer it all and eye candy as well...

This is very true... I was just thinking about this today actually!

I personally only want friends who reciprocate the encouragement I dole out... its a 2 way street and I have NOT ARRIVED! There are days when I feel so down about myself, I post something and my very best MFP friends are there to scoop me up and place me back on my feet :sad: