Any vegetarians here?

sineadm09
sineadm09 Posts: 113
edited September 19 in Health and Weight Loss
I've been a vegetarian for about a month now and I'm starving lol and definitely not getting enough protein.
I dont like tofu or lentils and dont eat eggs. Peantus are too fattening too..any ideas on what else I could eat?

Replies

• VballLeash
    VballLeash Posts: 2,456 Member
    I'm not a vegetarian but I get protein from black beans, I like to put them in salads... hope that helps. I don't eat any red meat, maybe you could do that if you are starving. Good luck! :happy:

~Leash :heart:
  • epappas09
    epappas09 Posts: 50 Member
    I'm and vegan and i get my protein from my cereal in the morning and soy milk as well as peanutbutter for lunch-- every person needs fat in their diet so peanutbutter is the perfect means of getting good fats as opposed to saturated fats from meat.
    check cereals such as go lean and special k protein to have in the morning--perfect for getting that protein you may miss during your day

good luck!
  • amperry4
    amperry4 Posts: 1 Member
    i have been a vegetarian for 2 years! try morning star products (found at most grocery stores!) they have "chicken nuggets" and "corndog nuggets" that are delicious! and for a serving of 4 they have 12 g of protein! i also enjoy making vegetarian sloppy joe with morning star meal starter crumbles (it looks like ground beef) and add it with sloppy joe sauce (or sometimes i combine them with a hamburger helper mix) and 2/3 a cup of the crumbles have 80 calories and 10g of protein! good luck =)
  • annaliza
    annaliza Posts: 809
    My daughter is a vegetarian and I've been cooking for her for about 3-4 years now.

She eats boca burgers when I can't cook for her. She also makes a veggie burger out of black beans and green peppers that is really tasty. I can get you the recipe from her if you are interested. She makes several of them at a time then freezes them individually. Whenever we eat meat as a family (the rest of us are omnivores) she pulls out a patty and cooks it for her "meat" portion.

She also eats a lot of beans and peanuts and almonds for protein. They may be high in calories/fats but they are a power food and worth the extra cals.

What about drinking some protein shakes for a little extra protein?
  • lawkat
    lawkat Posts: 538 Member
    I have been a vegetarian for 15 1/2 years. Have you tried Greek Yogurt? It has more protein than regular yogurt. You could eat almond butter. There is also Seitan which can be cooked up with other things. Hummus is a good source. There are also the veggie "meat" products that can contain a lot of protein as well.

There are lots of books out there about being a vegetarian. You should look into them to get a better understand how to supplement the fact that you aren't eating meat.
  • iRun4wine
    iRun4wine Posts: 5,126
    i have been a vegetarian for 2 years! try morning star products (found at most grocery stores!) they have "chicken nuggets" and "corndog nuggets" that are delicious! and for a serving of 4 they have 12 g of protein! i also enjoy making vegetarian sloppy joe with morning star meal starter crumbles (it looks like ground beef) and add it with sloppy joe sauce (or sometimes i combine them with a hamburger helper mix) and 2/3 a cup of the crumbles have 80 calories and 10g of protein! good luck =)

I'm not even a vegetarian, and I love morning star products! I used to eat very little meat simply because I didn't like it. Now, I'm picky about it, but I'll eat certain chicken, and certain steak if it's cooked *exactly* the way I like. But, I'm still hooked on morning star products because they're so darn good :happy:
  • TheMaidOfAstolat
    TheMaidOfAstolat Posts: 3,222 Member
    There is a vegetarian thread going on...we'd be happy to have you all. :bigsmile:
This discussion has been closed.