Raising a son with CF while on a diet

Options
corrine1973
corrine1973 Posts: 209 Member
As anyone who has children knows it is hard to convience them to eat a better diet when they have gotten used to bad foods. I have always done my best to make sure my kids are eating well balanced meals, but have admitidly failed from time to time when McDonalds is on the horizon and the car is full of small voices begging to get a happy meal. It's only been two weeks, but I believe I have been doing a good job and have been only taking them for fast food once a week for a treat. And yea I know that might be to much for some, but it works for my family and who know what will happen in the future. Maybe I will cut back to everyother week and then once a month. . .we will have to see. The point is that none of my children are over weight, and I would like to see it stay that way.

The problem I am having lately is trying to balance my kids needs nutritionally. I am trying to eat foods with lots of protien and fiber while staying away from fats and sugars. Two of my children eat normal diets so I am just trying to make sure they eat lots of fruits and veggies, balanced meals, and milk with breakfast and dinner. My youngest ,who is 2, was premature so he is on a high protien diet so he can gain wieght since he is only 21lbs and the size of a 1 year old. My biggest problem is my oldest son. He has Cystic Fibrosis and due to this his body does not digest food correctly and he needs to take a enzyme to digest the fats and sugars his body needs to in a day. It's becomes very difficult when you are telling your kds that they don't need a second helping of Mac and Cheese or that once scoop of ice Cream is enough when you are practically telling your other child that they need to but peanutbutter on the apple before eating it or giving them an extra big scoop of Mac and Cheese. Even I look at what he gets to eat in envy every once in a while. But then I remember that he needs the extra calories for his health and with all the treatments he goes through that extra bit of choclate is his reward.

Has anyone had to deal with this? What did you do?
Plus how to you deal with people who look at how much he is eating and than at you as a bad parent for letting them eat so much? My son is definatly not over weight. He is in th 20th % for height, and 24% for weight.

Replies

• BigDaddyBRC
    BigDaddyBRC Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options
    Brutally honest, because so much can be said for the challenge you as a parent have here...

1. **** other people that believe they know the overall health of your child.
    2. You make the change. It's either do, or do not.

I dont know how old your child is, hopefully old enough you can explain it a few times in order get it to set in.
  • LuneBleu85
    LuneBleu85 Posts: 217
    Options
    I don't have any experience with this but wanted to send a few hugs your way. Sounds like you are a great momma:flowerforyou:
  • pretentiouskate
    Options
    Ok, so I don't know much about Cystic Fibrosis beyond what we discussed in my Medical Nutrition Therapy Class, and I don't have any personal experience with C.F, HOWEVER:

I like to look at food as what it is: nourishment. Different people have different nourishment needs, right? A person with CF will always need those extra proteins and fats because their bodies are fighting to get the nourishment out of those nutrients - you don't need to explain fat malabsorption to everyone you meet, but maybe have a good (age appropriate) chat with the kids.

If you haven't consulted a dietitian as a family, I'd recommend it (and not just because I'm hoping to become one, eventually), but because he or she will have the tools to help you explain these sorts of things to the other kids.

Good luck! Sounds like you're on a good track!
  • Elzecat
    Elzecat Posts: 2,916 Member
    Options
    Sounds like quite the balancing act with 4 kids with different nutritional needs! Kudos to you for trying to work on everybody's health, including your own. How old are your older children? I would just explain to them in very simple terms--your youngest was born too early and needs extra (whatever foods) to help him grow...your child with CF needs specific foods (or less/more of those foods) because of his condition.

As for what others think when you're out and about? If someone says something you can tell them the information you posted here--one's a premie, one has special health needs...or you can just ignore them. Not their business :wink:

Is there a parents' group for kiddos with CF in your area? Maybe see if the parents in the group can give you some ideas on how they've handled similar issues?
    Good luck!
  • alyson820
    alyson820 Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    I think you need to keep explaining to them that everyone's body is different, and different foods are good for different people - THESE foods are good for you, THESE foods are good for your brother. I wouldn't mention food as a 'reward' or 'punishment' for any difficult treatments, failures, or success - the less you attach emotions to eating, the less your kids will make that association as they grow up, and it will be easier for them to find healthier outlets for coping.