Shoulder problems and Jillian workouts

Options
I have developed strained deltoids in my outer shoulders after months of doing the Shred, Ripped in 30 and 6 Week 6 Pack. I wondered if anyone else has suffered any shoulder problems as a result of Jillian Michaels workouts? I've seen a chiropractor and had many adjustments as well as done resistance band therapy. Finally, some neck adjustments and deep tissue massage to the back and shoulders has begun to loosen the muscles, but they are not near 100% better. I am a big fan of Jillian Michaels' workout DVDs, by the way, so I'm not knocking them in any way, and plan to still use them.

I've been avoiding plank moves (hard to do with her workouts because she incorporates a lot of them) and push ups during my healing phase, but not being able to do things like military presses is just depressing. The chiro recommended not doing any moves that make the arms at the shoulder go up past 90 degrees parallel to the floor. If you've had a shoulder problem, besides naproxen, how have you dealt with this?

Replies

• PLUMSGRL
    PLUMSGRL Posts: 1,134 Member
    Options
    most ppl don't know that these programs were not designed to do every day (ie 30 days straight). Any time you use weight (yes even body weight) you should take a day off from that body group. So with any of her "30 day" programs it should be day on day off since it's the same work out. Some one told me that she (Jillian) said the 30 day was a marketing ploy in her pod cast.

I have weak upper body strength, so push ups are off a table instead of the floor. I started out with 3 pound weights for all the moves, and now most (but not all) are up to 5 pound (I'm still on level one). No injuries for me, but I do push myself during the workouts.

The bottom line is to listen to your body before you get seriously injured.

Now listen to your DC, hope she/he has CCEP qualification-adjusting your shoulder and clavicle may be needed~
  • rjt1000
    rjt1000 Posts: 700 Member
    Options
    I have developed strained deltoids in my outer shoulders after months of doing the Shred, Ripped in 30 and 6 Week 6 Pack. I wondered if anyone else has suffered any shoulder problems as a result of Jillian Michaels workouts? I've seen a chiropractor and had many adjustments as well as done resistance band therapy. Finally, some neck adjustments and deep tissue massage to the back and shoulders has begun to loosen the muscles, but they are not near 100% better. I am a big fan of Jillian Michaels' workout DVDs, by the way, so I'm not knocking them in any way, and plan to still use them.

I've been avoiding plank moves (hard to do with her workouts because she incorporates a lot of them) and push ups during my healing phase, but not being able to do things like military presses is just depressing. The chiro recommended not doing any moves that make the arms at the shoulder go up past 90 degrees parallel to the floor. If you've had a shoulder problem, besides naproxen, how have you dealt with this?

you might want to see an orthopedist. Could be more than deltoid muscles. My shoulder issues turned out to be torn rotator, torn labrum and torn up cartilage. 3 shoulder surgeries in the past 15 years.
  • jillybeanruns
    jillybeanruns Posts: 1,420 Member
    Options
    No shoulder problems, but my suggestion is to see a Physical Therapist. Sounds like weak muscles that will benefit from some therapy and then some band work. Good luck!
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    I have one messed-up-beyond-repair shoulder. I can do a couple of pushups but once it's tired it really wants to slip out of the socket. So I do chest presses instead of pushups. I can do regular planks but have to be careful with like mountain climbers or jack planks and be very slow and controlled. Side planks are out of the question, even with my hip on the floor.

I would say, if you really want to follow Jillian, pick a replacement move. Like some variation of bicep curls, or do lateral raises (to the side) rather than overhead..
  • ScarletShopaholic
    ScarletShopaholic Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Yep shoulder problem here too - and it happened after I'd been doing the 30 day shred for a few weeks (at level 1 - I'm a slow work in progress). And I had rest days. Did the DVD again last week when I thought my shoulder was ok but I could feel it straining again so quit. I'm now waiting until my shoulder is absolutely 100% and will probably avoid the push ups when I restart. And if it comes back, will have to have a total rethink.
  • msenior
    msenior Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I am having the same problem with my right shoulder as well. I have been prescribed Naproxen, but after seeing that people put weight on, I am skeptic about taking them.

But how can i get rid of this pain.
  • Garvin51
    Garvin51 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    After almost 10 weeks of therapy, I am almost 90 percent recovered with my range of motion back .... but I am taking 800mg motrin everyday for one painful area, so I am back to the Doctor who is recommending getting a shot in the shoulder. I think it lasts for months ... see if that works. The Therapy was helpful in getting my range of motion back though.
  • mariabadra
    Options
    i do jillian fat banich boost metabolim and it's so défficult
    hope see result after 30 day :)
    just a question have i to do it everyday ?? or i can do it 4 time a week !!