STRENGTH TRAINING ROUTINE

Options
Does anyone know of a good site or do you have your own weekly strength training routine? I have been doing cardio and then strength training, but I would like a more regimented system to have in front of me. Instead of just going on a whim to lift weights. If you have some ideas, please share. Thanks so much!!!!

Replies

• BigDaddyBRC
    BigDaddyBRC Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options
    Day 1- Upper body - Back, Shoulders, Chest, Arms, Abs
    Day 2- Abs, Cardio
    Day 3- Lower Body - Gluets, Hammies, Quads, Calvs, Abs
    Day 4 - Abs, Cardio
    Day 5- Repeat Day 1
    Day 6- Abs, Cardio
    Day 7- REST

Pick up next week starting with Lower body.

Rinse Repeat
  • sommerskins
    sommerskins Posts: 57
    Options
    THANK YOU!!! I will for sure make sure to always do the RINSE. ;)
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,396 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Day 2- Abs, Cardio
    Day 4 - Abs, Cardio
    Day 5- Repeat Day 1
    Day 6- Abs, Cardio
    Day 7- REST

Rinse Repeat

You can over train your abs. They are just like all muscles and need rest.

Op, check out strong lift 5x5. You can also go to bodyrock.tv or you can even good p90x routine. P90X is a beachbody routine but they have their pdf onlin which has the days and moves broken out.
  • Coco_Puff
    Coco_Puff Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    Check out Jamie Eason from Bodybuilding.com
  • crisanderson27
    crisanderson27 Posts: 5,343 Member
    Options
    Day 2- Abs, Cardio
    Day 4 - Abs, Cardio
    Day 5- Repeat Day 1
    Day 6- Abs, Cardio
    Day 7- REST

Rinse Repeat

You can over train your abs. They are just like all muscles and need rest.

Op, check out strong lift 5x5. You can also go to bodyrock.tv or you can even good p90x routine. P90X is a beachbody routine but they have their pdf onlin which has the days and moves broken out.

Definitely...additionally, split routines like this can be complicated and overwhelming to a beginner. Much better to do full body workouts, utilizing compound lifts.
  • littlepinkhearts
    littlepinkhearts Posts: 1,055 Member
    Options
    http://health.howstuffworks.com/wellness/diet-fitness/information/weight-lifting-for-women6.htm

I just started out on this routine. Perhaps you wanna check it out and see what you can take from it.
  • ster81
    ster81 Posts: 249
    Options
    Here you go...
    Day 1: Chest and Triceps
    Day 2: Back and Biceps
    Day 3: rest or steady state cardio
    Day 4: shoulders and calves
    Day 5: Legs (quads, and hams)
    Day 6: rest or steady state cardio
    Day 7: rest.
  • albayin
    albayin Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options
    My question is when you do strengh training, how long is the best each time? thanks.
  • crisanderson27
    Options
    My question is when you do strengh training, how long is the best each time? thanks.

What do you mean by this? How long is the best what each time?

Do you mean how many times should you lift the weight for each exercise?

I'm not being sarcastic, I promise...I just can't give you a proper answer if I'm unsure of the question.
  • littlepinkhearts
    littlepinkhearts Posts: 1,055 Member
    Options
    Here you go...

I'm a beginner and i'm curious how many exercises are you doing on each area?
  • chris2365
    chris2365 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Go to www.sparkpeople.com and click on Fitness. There's a workout generator that has some great workouts (dumbbells or balance ball or gym or body weight, etc.), all for free.
  • albayin
    albayin Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options

I'm not being sarcastic, I promise...I just can't give you a proper answer if I'm unsure of the question.
    :)

I wanted to know how long do you do every day. half an hour? 1 hour? or better asked, how many reps of each activity? Sorry about the confusion.
  • crisanderson27
    Options

:)

I wanted to know how long do you do every day. half an hour? 1 hour? or better asked, how many reps of each activity? Sorry about the confusion.

The amount of time is going to depend on your workout. My workout takes me something less than an hour...and I go 3x a week.

As for reps, you're going to get some varying opinions on this. My belief is that for strength training, you should lift a weight that only allows you to complete 5-8 reps. For myself, I use a weight that only allows 5 reps, and then do 5 sets of those reps (for a total of 25). I take about 1 minutes worth of break between sets.
  • SteveHunt113
    SteveHunt113 Posts: 648 Member
    Options
    My routine:

Mon: Chest (4 exercises x 3 sets), followed by 30 minutes steady cardio
    Tue: Back (4 exercises x 3 sets), followed by 8 minutes core circuits, and then 24 minutes HIIT cardio
    Wed: Legs (4 exercises x 3 sets), followed by 30 minutes steady cardio
    Thur: Shoulders (5 exercises x 3 sets), followed by 8 minutes core circuits, and then 24 minutes HIIT cardio
    Fri: Biceps/Triceps (2 exercises each x 3 sets), followed by 30 minutes steady cardio
    Sat: 60 minutes steady cardio - normally a mix of bike and elliptical.
    Sun: Rest

The exercises I do for each group will change from time to time to avoid "muscle memory".
  • wackyfunster
    wackyfunster Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    Does anyone know of a good site or do you have your own weekly strength training routine? I have been doing cardio and then strength training, but I would like a more regimented system to have in front of me. Instead of just going on a whim to lift weights. If you have some ideas, please share. Thanks so much!!!!
    If you are still relatively novice, a split routine is probably overkill. For most people who are novice lifters, I generally recommend a full-body workout 2-3 days a week for the first 6 months or so. exrx.net has some great templates. Alternately, a simple compound routine like the following works great:

Day 1:
    Bench Press
    Deadlift

Day 2:
    Military Press
    Chin-up (weighted if possible)

Day 3:
    Squat
    Dip (weighted if possible

You can add an additional movement if not on a significant caloric deficit (barbell rows, push-ups/decline push-ups, and cleans are great additions). Starting Strength is a phenomenal book with a lot of good info on all this. Keep in mind the routines in it are written for people on a substantial caloric surplus. If you are on a deficit, your recovery will be significantly impaired, so you need to do less volume.

I would not recommend any split more than 3 days to start with... you simply don't need that much volume/specificity til you are nearing "advanced" levels (check strstd.com for a nice "strength standards" calculator). Basically, as long as you are still making linear progress on a bulk, or maintaining lifts on a cut, your routine is fine. Keep it as simple as you can and still make linear gains.

Just my 2c.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    There are 2 great beginer programs for strength training. Stronglifts 5x5 and Starting Strength. The SL 5x5 website is a little weird but the program is solid and there is a simple, easy to use and pretty awesome iPhone app that helps with tracking and progressing your worouts. I am less familiar with Starting Strength but Mark Rippletoe has a great reputation and others have had great things to say about the program. In think you can do well with either. I'm doing SL 5x5. Very simple full body strength workouts. I would highly recommed it.
  • ster81
    ster81 Posts: 249
    Options
    Here you go...

I'm a beginner and i'm curious how many exercises are you doing on each area?

As a beginner heres an easy break down for you.. I have my female friend doing this exact routine and her results are phenomenal. Rep range is 6-8 with rest of 1.5-2min per set 3 sets total per exercise. except on Leg days. its 5 sets each.

Day 1: Chest and Tricep:
    Flat bench
    Incline DB press
    Chest Flys (machine)
    Dips (assisted if needed)
    skull crushers

pull ups (assisted if needed)
    chin ups (assisted if needed)
    bent over rows
    rack deadlift
    single arm rows
    shrugs

Day 4:
    military press
    side raise
    bent over dumb bell raise
    face pulls
    calf press
    single leg calf press

Day 5:
    Squats
    deadlifts
    pistols (single leg body weight squats)
  • sommerskins
    sommerskins Posts: 57
    Options
    AWESOME!! Thank you all so much!! I just started reading the The new rules for lifting for women and just got started, but wanted to get into a better routine. All your help is truly appreciated!!! XO
  • Mercenary1914
    Mercenary1914 Posts: 1,087 Member
    Options
    I have Three that I like

My favorite involves supersets

Monday : Chest
    Tuesday : Legs
    Wednesday : Amrs
    Thursday : Shoulders
    Friday : Back

My second favorite is

Monday : Total body 2 sets 15 reps light weight
    Tueday : Cardio
    Wednesday : Total Body 3 sets 10 reps medium weight
    Thursday : Cardio
    Friday : Total Body 5 Sets 5 reps...Heavy weight

Then my third is

Monday : Upper Body
    Tuesday : Lower Body
    Wednesay : Cardio
    Thursday : Upper Body
    Friday : Lower Body

I work abs no more than 4 times a week...I agree with an earlier poster that said you can over train abs...
  • MinkyMoo13
    MinkyMoo13 Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    I was given this;

step ups on a bench 3 sets of 20 reps
    side step ups on bench 3 sets of 20 reps
    Two footed jumping on and off the bench 3 sets of 20 reps
    step up on to bench raise left leg and swing medicine ball over 3 sets of 20 reps alternating legs
    step up on bench raise left leg and raise medicine ball high into air 3 sets of 20 reps alternating legs
    lunges holding medicine ball 3 sets of 10 reps
    squats holding medicine ball 3 sets of 10 reps

Hope this helps.. Killed wheni first started doing it.. i do it three times a week alternating with weigh machines. This is to build up core strength