Big Time Splurge!

Options
Today i had a fight with my ex, who is also my best guy friend - he still is in love with me i guess and it's just very frustrating - but then instead of being true to my "new me" plan where i work out or do something constructive when i'm upset or bored, i turned to food - FOUR ice cream sandwiches to be exact!!!!!:sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :frown: :frown: :frown:
I don't know exactly why i did it, since the entire time i was eating i had a little voice in my head telling me to stop and do something else, but my body just kept getting up and going to the freezer! I actually started to eat a FIFTH one, but managed to throw it away after a bite. it's ridiculous - i didn't even really WANT to eat them! I know what i should be doing, but how do i make myself stop and put down the food and DO it? :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :mad: :angry: :grumble: :sad: :sad:

Replies

• CarmenSantiago
    CarmenSantiago Posts: 681 Member
    Options
    Not to be coy but just like the Nike ads "Just do it". I know it's hard when you are in the throws of despair, anger, frustration, pain, etc. to stop doing what you know you shouldn't but you just have to be strong and STOP. I've been there a million times and I have to fight with everything I have to move away. After I do I feel in control again and better able to cope with whatever problem I may be facing at the time.

It always helps me to remember that the food isn't going to help me with my problem, and I will feel bad about eating poorly combined with the original problem. Just compounds things.

Good Luck! :smokin:
  • maurierose
    maurierose Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    One of the best things to do in that situation is to leave the house ON FOOT or ON YOUR BIKE... do NOT bring any cash, change, or bank/credit cards, and walk til you are in a more stable frame of mind. If you leave your house, you don't have access to your junk foods, and if you have no way of purchasing them, you will force yourself to avoid them on your walk/ride.
  • steph54
    steph54 Posts: 28
    Options
    I just had that very same problem, only it wasn't anger and frustration, it was just weak will. I spent the day on a boat whale watching with my grandkids and their other grandma who brought 3 bags of potato chips (all of them my favorites). I ate them. I came home telling my husband I couldn't help it when they were right in front of me.

But this morning I realized that eating them was my CHOICE. I had brought healthy snacks and chose not to eat them. So this week I walk more and stick to healthy food and get rid of the 2-1/2 lbs I gained from yesterday and quit making excuses! Difficult but definitely possible!
  • NurseMisty
    NurseMisty Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    Yesterday I found the Girl Scout Thin Mint Cookies in the freezer. So as I stood at the counter and dunked them in cool whip, my mind kept telling me that I shouldn't be doing this. I guess it's all part of the "process" for some people. We have to stumble a few times. Hopefully, the next time I'm faced with those temptations I'll be stronger and be able to say no. For now, the guilt that I feel after shows me that I am learning...I'm just learning slowly. The stregnth is in you. It just may take a tad longer to find it. Good luck! :flowerforyou:
  • maurierose
    maurierose Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    :smile: You'll get there. Put a "skinny picture" on the fridge and remind yourself that your goal is more important than stuffing your emotions when you're upset.
  • Shinemaria
    Shinemaria Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    thanks everyone for your great advice! i think next time, i'll just go for a very angry walk, lol! :explode:

Thanks for being so helpful and supportive!:happy:
  • CarmenSantiago
    Options
    thanks everyone for your great advice! i think next time, i'll just go for a very angry walk, lol! :explode:

Thanks for being so helpful and supportive!:happy:

We've all been there! Good Luck to you!
  • amandadaisylotus
    Options
    :smile: You'll get there. Put a "skinny picture" on the fridge and remind yourself that your goal is more important than stuffing your emotions when you're upset.

:happy: I did this! In fact, I used an online weight loss simulator and put my highest weight and then my goal weight and put the word "OR" between them...

If I eat that block of cheese, I'll be the big one.

OR

If I eat an apple instead, I'll be the smaller one!
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    It's a learning process, please don't beat yourself up. I had a huge splurge last night myself (bigger than yours), but today I woke up knowing I was going to start right back in. It's all that you can do.
  • CarmenSantiago
    Options

:happy: I did this! In fact, I used an online weight loss simulator and put my highest weight and then my goal weight and put the word "OR" between them...

If I eat that block of cheese, I'll be the big one.

OR

If I eat an apple instead, I'll be the smaller one!

Wow, great idea! Can you give me the website? I'd love to do that. Thanks!