Looking for fun things to do with vegetables

Options
13»

Replies

• FixItDuck
    FixItDuck Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    How about having a look at the book called Deceptively Delicious, written by Jessica Seinfeld. It's aimed at parent trying to get their kids to eat more veg/fruit, but has some great ideas in it. I am a bit partial to baked goodies and I have to say that the Chocolate Brownie in that book is divine and it contains spinnach puree (I think there's carrot in there too) - just don't try it warm and it goes stale quickly.

I love raw veg with hummus. Also we almost always have frozen spinach on hand and it's great to add to mince dishes, casseroles, curries, pasta... sure you get a dodgy colour with some dishes but if you can overlook that, it's an easy way to add extra veg without altering the taste too much.
  • kayl3igh88
    kayl3igh88 Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    I used a portabella mushroom as a pizza crust- with a little sauce and cheese on top. It was really good.

That reeeeeally makes me wish I liked mushrooms!
  • bathsheba_c
    bathsheba_c Posts: 1,873 Member
    Options
    Pickles!!!

Basically anything is good sauteed in olive oil and garlic. Plus, the fat in the olive oil helps your body absorb more nutrients from the veggies!
  • livestar
    livestar Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    bump
  • traceyjayne64
    traceyjayne64 Posts: 262
    Options
    Sorry all I could do is giggle.. that is a loaded question... hmmm you can stick them in your ears..
    OK I'm done very tired and gettn silly

lol, i just had to giggle too :noway:
  • joankpoirier
    joankpoirier Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    Sorry all I could do is giggle.. that is a loaded question... hmmm you can stick them in your ears..

potato cannon
  • StrawberrySt
    StrawberrySt Posts: 235
    Options
    Fresh herbs make veggies sooo good!
  • smittypig
    smittypig Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I have this really awesome recipe for Zuchinni "Pasta." My Husband and I have a nice sized garden and like to pull fresh squash or zuchinni, Basil, and tomatoes from it to make this. His Grandparents have Pecan trees, which we use in place of the walnuts, which is fabulous! It is super slimming as well...no carbs (some fat in the walnuts-or pecans- but good fat) and all healthy vegetables...

Whole Living, July/August 2011

Yield Serves 2

Ingredients

8 ounces cherry tomatoes, sliced
    1 clove garlic, thinly sliced
    1/4 cup chopped raw walnuts-we use pecans
    2 tablespoons torn fresh basil, plus leaves for garnish
    2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for drizzling
    Sea salt
    1 zucchini, thinly sliced lengthwise, slices cut into 1/4-inch-long strips

Directions

In a bowl, combine tomatoes, garlic, walnuts, basil, and oil. Season with salt. Let stand 20 minutes. Toss with zucchini and garnish with basil.
  • dyannajoy
    dyannajoy Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    My favorite SIMPLE way to do veggies is in a smoothie. I use a ripe banana, unsweetened almond milk and a cup or so of frozen broccoli. (sometimes I also add yogurt and/or protein powder and/or fresh spinach.......just depends on what I have on hand) But I never have a smoothie without veggies :happy:
  • joankpoirier
    Options
    I love Potato
    cannons

potato cannon
  • joankpoirier
    Options
    nope

Yeah, I can stick my hand up and say, I could only think of silly stuff! Glad I am not the only one.

Now to read the rest of the replies, to see if I get any ideas.
  • ready2tryagain42
    Options
    I like to use cauliflower for pizza crust...or mashed with celery root as a sub for mashed potatoes. Don't know if that is what you mean by fun. I am on a eggplant kick lately so have been using it in everything. :)
  • frostypenn
    frostypenn Posts: 7
    Options
    Nuke a bag of frozen vegs until they are just thawed - not hot. Use your favorite salad dressing.

Cook a bag of frozen vegs in 1/2 c water and add instant potatoes, milk, etc to make a potatoe dish out of it. I call it veggie mash.

Stir fry vegs of three different colors - add them to the pan according to what needs the most time. Cabbage, carrots, etc first and peppers, peapods, etc last. Remove to a bowl to wait. Add meat and season. When done, add the vegs back in to warm. The mistake people make is trying to season the vegs. They get soggy and the flavor is too strong. Season the meat and add the vegs back at the end.

A salad without lettuce. Call it crudites, which is very French, and everybody knows, French women don't get fat.

Hope these help.
  • jipsybird
    jipsybird Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    Puree cooked carrot and cauliflower for cauliflower mash

Whenever I do a casserole I put lots of veggies in it (like a tuna casserole with ww noodles, a can of chicken or celery condensed soup, and a ton of veggies such as carrot, celery, broccoli, and potatoes). There's a lot you can do with it.

Spaghetti squash is awesome, I actually like replacing my spaghetti noodles with it. It can be difficult to cut raw. Just bake it whole till soft then you can easily cut in half and swipe out the seeds. Take a fork to swipe across and bring up the spaghetti like strands. It has the light sweetness typical of squash. I even like it as a snack.
  • KyleB65
    KyleB65 Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    I enjoy throwing rotten veggies at politicians! :-)
  • whitneyhousten
    whitneyhousten Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Try looking on www.pinterest.com for recipes! Some ideas include using cauliflower as a taco shell, portobello mushroom pizzas, zuchinni chips, etc.
  • lookatmenow85
    lookatmenow85 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Well I cook my veggies in a wok with either sunflower oil or olive oil. I also mixed it up with sweet taste with honey or cinnomin like in indian dishes or a spicy taste like mexican or thai. I found that using mushrooms or eggplant in place of meat gives in a healthier twist while giving a meaty texture. Just think what if I substituted my meat for veggies. When vegetables that are mixed together give different consistency and textures. Not all veggies have to be eaten cold. Spices have no calories so experiment.