Just shakes for a week.. thoughts?

Hezzietiger1
Hezzietiger1 Posts: 1,256 Member
Thinking about doing all protein shakes with fruit, v8, and lots of water for a week to trip my system up and cleanse some.

Anyone have thoughts?

Replies

• ehalps26
    ehalps26 Posts: 25 Member
    completely disagree...the value of food over shakes is immeasurable
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,334 Member
    What are you "cleansing"? Your body does a fine job of it already.
  • wftiger
    wftiger Posts: 1,283 Member
    It'll suck. I did Medifast for a month which is 5 shakes a day and a salad with some protein. I lost 30 lbs in a month but toward the end it was likely because my calories were so few. I couldn't make myself drink those shakes anymore.

I do a breakfast shake almost every day and sometimes even some for lunch but I do stick to a regular dinner. That works for me but maybe the shakes will be fine for you.

I would suggest you do meal replacement like Medifast as most protein shakes will not have the vitamins and minerals you need in them. Many are just supplements and not meant to replace food.
  • LynC33
    LynC33 Posts: 196
    Disagree 100%! You wont have any energy, you will get migraines and whatever you lose will come back on even quicker. There is no quick fix if you want this to be your lifestyle, do it the right way :-)
  • LSoBlessed
    LSoBlessed Posts: 1
    I was actually thinking the same thing. No solid foor just liquids but my brother keeps telling me it's not a good idea. Even though I haven't tried it yet I personally think it will work but it's probably just not a healthy idea to do :-/
  • raylenebrooks
    raylenebrooks Posts: 137 Member
    I think shakes are great but I do eat food I would say replace the fruit and v8 with lean meat and veggies best luck with what you do decide
  • LAWoman79
    LAWoman79 Posts: 348 Member
    Disagree 100%! You wont have any energy, you will get migraines and whatever you lose will come back on even quicker. There is no quick fix if you want this to be your lifestyle, do it the right way :-)

This.

It's simple...eat good food, workout, lose weight. Bottom line.
  • impyimpyaj
    impyimpyaj Posts: 1,073 Member
    Why would you want to "trip up" your system? Let it work! And as far as cleansing, just eat whole, unprocessed foods, and that will do your body FAR better than shakes.
  • jfan175
    jfan175 Posts: 812 Member
    You're not going to cleanse anything with a V8 chemical cocktail.
  • VMarkV
    VMarkV Posts: 522 Member
    Stay consistent, that way you can actually tell if something works over the long run
    This cleansing non-sense will take care of itself if you are in a deficit and you have properly functioning organs and drink water...in essence, you are cleansing yourself from excess calories
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Thinking about doing all protein shakes with fruit, v8, and lots of water for a week to trip my system up and cleanse some.

Anyone have thoughts?

you could do that for 2 days at most or things get dicey, but please quit buying v8. even the low sodium isnt that low and the regular is off the charts. vb is made in a factory and isnt fresh by any means. v8 would be counter productive to your goal.

dont do it for a whole week. doint it for 24 hours once a week would be a better choice.

depending on the amount of fruit, which I would keep low, you will need some fiber. get some psyllium husk powder to add to the shakes.
  • amberecochran
    amberecochran Posts: 124 Member

I'm with you! I did Medifast for about a month and could not get ast the headaches and the hunger pains. It was rediculous. The only thing that works for me is eating 1600 calories a day and working out 5 days a week (running, strength training, cardio of some sort). I feel great, don't feel hungry or get the headaches, and to top all of that, I have lost 32lbs in five months! Can't beat that!
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,487 Member
    I'd probably kill someone after the 3rd day. I like real food.
  • sunsnstatheart
    sunsnstatheart Posts: 2,544 Member
    balanced diet, exercise, calorie deficit . . .
  • rose313
    rose313 Posts: 1,146 Member
    If I didn't eat I'd have no energy to work out. I'd advise against it.
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Why? You can eat delicious fun satisfying foods AND still lose weight. There is no need for drastic measures and quick fixes that don't fix anything. Eat healthy, stay in calorie deficit, exercise, get enough sleep, drink water....that is the best thing you can do for your body!
  • Mads1997
    Mads1997 Posts: 1,494 Member
    What are you "cleansing"? Your body does a fine job of it already.

This ^^
  • I did protein shakes for 4 days a few weeks ago but I had norovirus at the time and couldn't hold anything down/in. Great for the weight loss until I recovered and re-gained most of that short term drop.

Don't do it. They aren't made to be lived on and "cleansing" is BS you have a fully evolved digestive system that needs to be used and is perfectly capable of taking care of itself.

In summary:
    any losses will be short term
    it's pointless
    and a third reason I can't think of.
  • jknoell
    jknoell Posts: 254 Member
    If you are willing to go to extremes to cleanse your body, then why not just change what you are currently eating and replace it with fresh fruits and veggies and lean meats and other proteins? That isn't as extreme as limiting yourself to shakes and lots of fresh greens will naturally clean out your system. Following clean eating will do better than chemically-induced V8. I would suggest looking up clean eating or some recipes you can make at home before doing something you may not like and will not be sustainable for a true weight loss.
  • emtjmac
    emtjmac Posts: 1,320 Member
    Not a good idea at all. Your liver and your kidneys do all the detoxing you need. Don't fall for the nonsense out there.