what's the difference between soy and whey protein?

Options
I have been using whey protein for months now and someone told me that soy protein powder is better. When I read the nutrition label it says it has more cards and less calcium. So why is it better?

Replies

• Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options
    its not. stick with the whey.
  • SierraElegance
    SierraElegance Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Soy is just not good for you in general-- it messes with hormones, even for men. Most soy is also genetically modified, which is what really makes it bad. Whey is good, just make sure you have one with very low carbs and sugar!
  • Funsoaps
    Funsoaps Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    Soy is just not good for you in general-- it messes with hormones, even for men. Most soy is also genetically modified, which is what really makes it bad. Whey is good, just make sure you have one with very low carbs and sugar!

I will agree. It is supposedly the most chemically-altered, in otherwords pestacides galore and modified food America has to offer. The health claims are bogus. I can attest to it (long story I don't need to go into).

Personally I do vanilla rice protein and it's great with a mixture of almond/coconut milk...yum!
  • kid75
    kid75 Posts: 17
    Options
    Thanks
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    I'm not a huge fan of soy, BUT, I think there are a lot of scare tactics going on here. Soy has not been proven to "mess with hormones" unless consumed in very high quantities. Google studies done on the effects of soy on hormones. There is a hormonal effect on women who are taking hormones for menopause, and who consume a LARGE amount of soy product, but there is no serious effect on male hormones. You're not going to grow man-boobs because you consume soy protein.

There's a lot of ignorance in this subject. Do the research for yourself.

*Note: This was not meant to say I endorse using soy as a protein source. I would highly prefer whey because it's simply more effective, period. I'm just debating that soy is not dangerous hormonally.
  • ready2tryagain42
    Options
    I eat very little soy unless it is the occassional tofu or edamame. I prefer whey..it gives me more energy. But you do have to watch the sugar.
  • kayleesays
    kayleesays Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    Does soymilk not come from the soybean? What is done to it to make it so harmful?

I've heard whey can be an inflammatory. That's the only bad thing I've ever heard about it. I just starting using whey today, actually.
  • kristelpoole
    kristelpoole Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    Whey
    - vegetarian
    - but not VEGAN
    - can contain growth hormones

Soy
    - vegetarian
    - often vegan
    - can easily find non-GMO protein powders
    - can be genetically modified if not labeled otherwise

There are also plenty of other kinds of protein powders available...vegetable protein, rice protein, etc.

Large amounts of soy aren't going to make you love rom coms or lose inches...that's only in extreme quantities.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,708 Member
    Options
    Whey is better when it actually comes to muscle building and rebuilding.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • TrainingWithTonya
    TrainingWithTonya Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    In terms of biological availability (in order to be used by the body for muscular growth and repair, enzyme activity, etc.), whey has a perfect score of 100. Soy only gets a 74. So, I look at it like I would any of my grades in school. I'd rather have a 100 on a test then a 74.

As for the hormonal effects, there is research on both sides saying soy is great and soy is harmful. I think a lot of those studies are flawed in that they aren't accounting for other factors that effect hormone levels and the effects on each person is individual based on other factors. However, I personally follow the recommendation of the oncologist who removed my LCIS tumor and avoid soy as much as possible because I refuse to take the risk of the research that shows it increasing estrogen levels (and therefore the risk of estrogen based cancer) being correct in the way my body reacts.