any grad students?

Options
foxyforce
foxyforce Posts: 3,078 Member
i need some motivation. i am feeling in such a rut over school.

while i think i have done really well for myself, at my age, i feel like i am so far behind. i am almost done my BA in psychology, and i feel like i acctually know the stuff well enough to apply it to the real world, and this is only thanks to the fact that i got my social service worker diploma in college and have worked out in the field. and yet, i am just as far behind as every other undergrad.

i may not get to write a thesis, i have no idea how to get letters of recommendations from profs, i am not a kiss *kitten*, i just kinda do my own thing, so i may not get into grad school.

i feel doomed.

has anyone else ever felt this impending doom while in the midst of achieving their goal.

it is so depressing. boo.

Replies

• rosabella
    rosabella Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I'm a grad student! Feel free to message me. :smile:
  • foxyforce
    Options
    What is your goal?

to get my BA AND get into grad school. to be on a successful track.
  • knottylibrarian
    Options
    the beauty about college is being "behind" is kind of obsolete because people attend college at many ages.

When I applied to grad school, I had only one professor, one employer, and a former editor at a magazine I worked on.

You would be surprised who will be willing to help when writing letters of recommendations. My husband is a high school teacher and when he writes LORs for students, he has a template that he makes small changes to, so it's not as much of an inconvenience as one thinks. Professors know this is a part of their job (really, how much did you pay to go to college?).

If you don't feel like you connected with any of your professors, think of ones that seemed really impressed with papers or projects and seek them to write recommendations.

One last sad reality--our economy is poor, grad schools will want you!

Good luck
  • foxyforce
    Options
    the beauty about college is being "behind" is kind of obsolete because people attend college at many ages.

When I applied to grad school, I had only one professor, one employer, and a former editor at a magazine I worked on.

You would be surprised who will be willing to help when writing letters of recommendations. My husband is a high school teacher and when he writes LORs for students, he has a template that he makes small changes to, so it's not as much of an inconvenience as one thinks. Professors know this is a part of their job (really, how much did you pay to go to college?).

If you don't feel like you connected with any of your professors, think of ones that seemed really impressed with papers or projects and seek them to write recommendations.

One last sad reality--our economy is poor, grad schools will want you!

Good luck

that really does help, is it outlandish to ask my last employer for a letter of recomendation

i worked so hard at that job, i was a counsellor for homeless individuals living with mental health issues, but resigned in may to continue school but on a fulltime basis. i just dont know if grad schools just want academic references or if i can provide them with experiential references too?