going CRAZY on how many cals I should eat????

Options
Ok, I swear this whole topic makes me feel like an idiot but let's give it one more shot!

MFP says I need to eat 1680 calories so I have been, but then you minus the exercise calories, like today I did Zumba so I burned about 1000, which means for the day I only netted 680....is this going to make me plateau right away?

The BMR calculator says I need to eat 2100, MFP says 1680. Someone please help me understand. I need the "calories for dummies" version if you don't mind :-)

Diary is public....let me have it!

Replies

• Umeboshi
    Umeboshi Posts: 1,637 Member
    Options
    Try to net at least 1200.
  • Hickyvikki69
    Hickyvikki69 Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    mfp says 1680 n you burn 1000 ur suppose to eat those calories back n net 1680. i personally dont think you will plateau of it as i tended to do the same right away.
    or eat minimum of 1200 calories a day
  • impossibianca
    Options
    bump bump bump im also confused
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    1200 a day is ridiculous. Eat 1680. When you burn 1000, eat 1000 more.

You only gain weight if you eat 3500 OVER your 1680 net.

There's poor advice here and only 5 in. Eat, eat, eat. 1200 is minimum survival for most people.
  • SwimKitty
    SwimKitty Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I use this - I've seen others recommend it as well.

http://www.fat2fitradio.com/tools/bmr/
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    How tall are you and how much do you weigh?
    Age?
    Body Fat%?

I'll tell you how much to eat daily.
  • Oretexan
    Oretexan Posts: 108
    Options

There's poor advice here and only 5 in. Eat, eat, eat. 1200 is minimum survival for most people.

^^^^^^ this!
  • AzhureSnow
    AzhureSnow Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    I net between 1200-1500 calories a day. I have been losing consistently for the last 3 weeks.
  • HeatherNoyes
    HeatherNoyes Posts: 114 Member
    Options

This makes the most sense. And for the gentleman who says eat what makes me lose, not hard...well, if I knew the correct answer, I wouldn't have posted the question. I was losing, but in the last week have kinda stayed stuck and notice I actually went up. Nurse says I am also retaining water so it is probably water weight.
  • georgina1970
    georgina1970 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    Hi, It's recommended to eat your daily MFP calorie goal + what you burn from exercise. If you have put in the right activity levels you will still loose weight. I also recommend more fresh vegetables and less packaged foods for good health ;-) Cheers
  • twoboys2012
    twoboys2012 Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    Ok, I swear this whole topic makes me feel like an idiot but let's give it one more shot!

MFP says I need to eat 1680 calories so I have been, but then you minus the exercise calories, like today I did Zumba so I burned about 1000, which means for the day I only netted 680....is this going to make me plateau right away?

The BMR calculator says I need to eat 2100, MFP says 1680. Someone please help me understand. I need the "calories for dummies" version if you don't mind :-)

Diary is public....let me have it!

I hear your pain ... it has taken me a while too and it was driving me sooo crazy. :grumble:

I came across a group called 'eat more to weigh less'. After reading everything it made sense and i ran my number myself on website they provided and they were very different to MFP ... i know go by them and not MFP as i have changed manually. Now I have reset my metabolism and now at a deficit which allows me to eat plenty and still lose. I am not irritable, hungry or tired. i eat and exercise and lose. :bigsmile:

Worth a try but I realise not everything is for everyone. Good luck.
    I'm here if you need any help. :flowerforyou:
  • douglasmobbs
    douglasmobbs Posts: 563 Member
    Options

Wrong. if 1680 net is for a 1lb loss you will gain weight by eating more than 2180 net.

Calories out - Calories in = weight loss. So if you burn calories (increases the out) you can eat more (calories in) and still be in deficit. If you are overweight there will be no harm in not eating back all your calories. The calories number only relates to your weight change, what you eat to make up those calories will determine if you have a healthy diet or not.
  • HeatherNoyes
    Options
    Age?
    Body Fat%?

5'8
    and um, all body fat, lol. JK
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options

You got the right idea, but throwing together 2 different methods.

MFP stats and goals has NO exercise included until you do it. So deficit is taken first, then when you add in exercise cal's eaten, the deficit is still there.

That other site that came to 2100 included exercise in that total, then you subtract like 500. And I'm guessing you selected wrong activity level to come to only 2100.

The end result would likely be the same.

Now - I doubt you did a 1000 burn unless it was 90 minutes or longer.
    If you really did, try to eat back those cal's before your next exercise session. Doesn't have to be today, your body doesn't stop needing to feed the workout at midnight. So you are in the green today by 500 cal, you go into the red tomorrow with bigger breakfast/lunch/snack.

Have to plan the day better so you can spread the load out over the whole day.
  • HeatherNoyes
    Options

Wrong. if 1680 net is for a 1lb loss you will gain weight by eating more than 2180 net.

Calories out - Calories in = weight loss. So if you burn calories (increases the out) you can eat more (calories in) and still be in deficit. If you are overweight there will be no harm in not eating back all your calories. The calories number only relates to your weight change, what you eat to make up those calories will determine if you have a healthy diet or not.

Today I only netted 680. This is the problem. I think I am doing it all wrong
  • HeatherNoyes
    Options

You got the right idea, but throwing together 2 different methods.

MFP stats and goals has NO exercise included until you do it. So deficit is taken first, then when you add in exercise cal's eaten, the deficit is still there.

That other site that came to 2100 included exercise in that total, then you subtract like 500. And I'm guessing you selected wrong activity level to come to only 2100.

The end result would likely be the same.

Now - I doubt you did a 1000 burn unless it was 90 minutes or longer.
    If you really did, try to eat back those cal's before your next exercise session. Doesn't have to be today, your body doesn't stop needing to feed the workout at midnight. So you are in the green today by 500 cal, you go into the red tomorrow with bigger breakfast/lunch/snack.

Have to plan the day better so you can spread the load out over the whole day.

I did 60 minutes of Zumba toning, and I am a big girl so I do burn big in the exercise dept. Im sure it is a high estimate though
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    Age?
    Body Fat%?

5'8

5'8" is 1800-2k daily.
    Dont eat back these calories but also try not burning so many in a day.
    1k is more than your body is actually able to lose the fat and is overkill.
    Shoot for 600 at the most.
    I have women in your range losing a good amount of fat lifting heavy 3 times a week for 200 cal burns and walking for 20 mins 2 days a week.
    Stop killing yourself.
    =D

Figure out your lean mass or body fat%.

Grab a calculator and figure protein and fat out.
    1g protein per pound of LBM.
    .40-1g Fat per pound LBM.
    then adjust MFP settings to best reflect those numbers in a %.

Enjoy your fat loss!
    =D
  • brighteyes31143
    Options
    bump.......
  • HeatherNoyes
    Options
    Age?
    Body Fat%?

5'8

5'8" is 1800-2k daily.
    Dont eat back these calories but also try not burning so many in a day.
    1k is more than your body is actually able to lose the fat and is overkill.
    Shoot for 600 at the most.
    I have women in your range losing a good amount of fat lifting heavy 3 times a week for 200 cal burns and walking for 20 mins 2 days a week.
    Stop killing yourself.
    =D

Figure out your lean mass or body fat%.

Grab a calculator and figure protein and fat out.
    1g protein per pound of LBM.
    .40-1g Fat per pound LBM.
    then adjust MFP settings to best reflect those numbers in a %.

Enjoy your fat loss!
    =D

thank you! Love answers that make sense and don't make me sound like an idiot. lol. You rock!
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options

This is wrong, IMO. and is the kind of advice that keeps perpetuating the myth. You won't gain if you eat 2180. I will bet a months salary on it. Hell, I'll throw in my Lexus too.