a half marathon or full????

Options
paruls86
paruls86 Posts: 188 Member
have not been exercising much for past two weeks but it is now the time to challenge myself...
i have to register for a marathon/ half marathon on 30th sept. can any body tell me if i can do a full by then or should i aim for a half....???
I start training from this monday with C25K followed by B210k and the my full/half marathon training... suggest me what should i take up??? or should i follow a different course of training???

Replies

• bsmith404
    bsmith404 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    What do you mean by "you have" to register for a marathon/half? You want to as a personal goal?

How about running a 5k, then a 10k, another run and then maybe the 1/2. Do you run reguarly?

It's doable. I started out by doing a 5k, then 2-10k's with another in June this year. I am taking a break until about July and then I will start training for the 1/2 Rock n' Roll Marathon in Lisbon on September 30th. While I am not training for anything I still run anywhere between 4-8miles to include speedwork, long runs, slow runs, etc.

Take it one race at a time. If by your first 5k you feel great. Then train for a 10k. Then if you feel great do another and then the 1/2.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    A half at best, a full would not be a very fun experience given where you are at now. But I am also with the other poster that maybe a shorter race would be better.
  • drfalktorres
    drfalktorres Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    have not been exercising much for past two weeks but it is now the time to challenge myself...
    i have to register for a marathon/ half marathon on 30th sept. can any body tell me if i can do a full by then or should i aim for a half....???
    I start training from this monday with C25K followed by B210k and the my full/half marathon training... suggest me what should i take up??? or should i follow a different course of training???

I've never done a half or a full-- and I signed up for a full for September 22nd. I figure, the goal is to finish, not record-breaking time. I've ran several 5 and 10K's and had a great time...so why not give it a go? I'm following the Hal Higdon 18 week plan....and I've offically got 19 weeks-- I'm trusting I can do it-- even if I walk much of it. It's all about mindset, commitment to training, and knowing your body/pain tolerance. Good luck!
  • joehempel
    joehempel Posts: 1,761 Member
    Options
    Half Marathon, if you just started C25k, you are going to hate life in the full marathon. You may finish it, but would you feel like you accomplished something if you walked over 1/2 of it?

I started running last year in May (I was 225lbs), and ran a 1/2 Marathon in October in 2:12. I couldn't even THINK about doing a full marathon then.
  • seekingstrengthX2
    Options
    Half

Definitely.

A full marathon is a Really. Big. Deal. :smile:

Do a 5k... then another one... then a 10k... then a Half.
  • 714rah714
    714rah714 Posts: 759 Member
    Options
    You can do anything you set your mind too, but I would go with the half.
  • jporche77
    jporche77 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Half Marathon, if you just started C25k, you are going to hate life in the full marathon. You may finish it, but would you feel like you accomplished something if you walked over 1/2 of it?

I started running last year in May (I was 225lbs), and ran a 1/2 Marathon in October in 2:12. I couldn't even THINK about doing a full marathon then.

I would totally do the half. I started just doing 5K's last year and did a half marathon in March. It was very mentally challenging for a person that has never run that distance.

Even after I ran that distance I don't want to go any further than the 13.1 miles
  • lichensandseeds
    lichensandseeds Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I agree that a half is better for a first big race than a full. Training for a long run is a lot of fun and very rewarding, but it also brings challenges. In addition to fitting in all the training runs, it takes practice figure out what food to eat so you don't inadvertently lose or gain too much weight. You will also be more prone to injury when doing long training runs. It's better to get used to these challenges with a shorter distance as your goal and then sign up for a full marathon later once you've finished the half and have a better idea about how your body reacts to distance running.

Also, you probably know this, but make sure you have good shoes! Last year when I was training for a full marathon, I went to visit my parents and brought one of my old pairs of running shoes rather than the ones I was currently using. Just using old shoes for a week was enough to mess up my IT band and slow my training for a few weeks.
  • paruls86
    Options
    thanks every one....
    I have now broken down my goals... yup i am aiming a half marathon in September and i want to run/jog through it... to know whether i am on the right track i am signing up for another half a month before that and i think i will be walking half of it, my aim is just to finish in time and get my medal (definitely not looking to rank any where)
    i am starting a 12week program tomorrow and i have over 13 weeks to go before my first and another 35 days before the second.
    I hope to graduate to a full by February next year....

another advice i want is about shoes i did buy myself shoes over a month back when i started with MFP but the are not "running" shoes though they are comfortable. i am thinking that if my training is on track i would buy another pair in July and train for over a month with it... your thoughts???
  • Awkward30
    Awkward30 Posts: 1,927 Member
    Options
    I did my first half in March, I signed up for it in October when I had not run more than 3 miles in a row in my life. I completed the half marathon in 2:23. Extrapolating out, it would take me at least 5 hours to do a full marathon. That sounds miserable, so for that reason, I've decided to train for a faster half marathon before attempting a full. Not because I don't think I could finish, but because I don't want to have to take 5 hours to do so.
  • paruls86
    Options
    what were your training routines?
  • SavCal71
    SavCal71 Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    Ifyou follow a good training plan, you should be able to do a half by then. I think you'd be pushing yourself too much to try a full. Look at some Hal Higdon training plans.
  • paruls86
    Options
    I would love if someone could guide me to nutrition plan i should follow for the course of training...
  • paruls86
    Options
    bump
  • paruls86
    Options
    ??
  • brandyk77
    brandyk77 Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    half for sure.

nutition - well, that is harder to say
  • paruls86
    Options
    bump
  • RobynDCrossman
    Options
    How much running do you CURRENTLY do?
  • Lane1012
    Lane1012 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    A full marathon is a Really. Big. Deal. :smile:

so is a Half
  • lauralizzy829
    lauralizzy829 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    I started C25K in May and will finish end of this month. Then starting a half marathon training for november. Have a 5K in August, 10K in September, then the half in November.

I think you can complete all the training programs by that date (C25K 9 weeks, 1/2 marathon 12 weeks) but you should def register for other races (5K, 10K) before you do the 1/2.