Would this be too much exercise?

Options
Hello...

So I go to the gym 3 or 4 times per week where I do 25 mins of HIIT, 5 mins xtrainer (to warm down) and weights. On my non-gym day during the week I go for a lunchtime run, just 5-6k gentle jogging.

I was wondering if I would be okay doing both of these things on the same day in order to increase my stamina, fitness and calorie burn.

I have heard of people who run twice a day so sure this is no different? Can anyone advise whether it would be sensible to do this or whether it would be deemed as too much?

TIA :-)

Replies

• Lozze
    Lozze Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    Yes this would be too muh exercise.

Can you imagine doing this exercise every day for the rest of your life? When you have screaming kids, ten hot day and are exhausted can you imagine doing that level?
  • sozzell
    sozzell Posts: 166
    Options
    Erm, no....not every day for the rest of my life. Nor do I ever intend on having 1 kid, let alone 10.

Anyone else?
  • pollyp123
    pollyp123 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    It might be too much exercise for some people but I'd say listen to your body as only you'll know best. I do an early morning spin class and then go for a run or another spin in the evening, so usually between 1.5-2hrs of high intensity cardio a day, and have done this for years. I know people who do a lot more than me too.
    Only you know what's right for you :)
  • limbopanto
    limbopanto Posts: 25
    Options
    3 or 4 times a week should be fine, just make sure you're eating enough so you don't run yourself down. And alternate your weight days, so legs one day, upper body the next etc, so you don't over train your muscles.
  • Kirkajuice
    Kirkajuice Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty sure your body will tell you if it's enough. I've had points where I'd do two one hour workouts and then go for a reaaaally long walk and repeated this cycle for weeks on end. There were no problems, I just got bored of it and moved to something else after a while.
  • poptastic
    poptastic Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I think as others have said - listen to your body. When I first started cycling to and from work (about 8 miles a day), I couldn't do that and a gym workout in the same day without immediately having to go to bed when I got home. Now, it's just a normal day :) As long as you're not exhausted, and your health isn't suffering, it's not too much.
  • 714rah714
    714rah714 Posts: 759 Member
    Options
    Go ahead, knock yourself out.
  • demonNIИ
    demonNIИ Posts: 187
    Options
    Exactly. Just listen to your body. Yesterday I was so mentally and physically exhausted after work and only gave my workout 50% effort since my legs were killing me. Sometimes I push myself too much so just do what you feel you can give 100%
  • Martucha123
    Martucha123 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    they way you do it is sabotaginng improvements in both HIIT and lifting

I would recomend you not to mix HIIT with lifting

better do lifting 3 times a week, and HIIT other 3 days a week
    take 1 rest day a week (you can walk maybe swim or bike but on slow pace)

HIIT should be so intense that after you cannot perform lifting, if you can you are not pushing yourself enough.

This is what I do:
    lots of walking (every day about 1h, I simply walk everywhere)
    lifting 3 times a week
    HIIT 2 times a week (I would do 3, but I'm too lazy...)
    if I want to burn more calories, after HIIT 5 minutes cool down and then bike or some interval jog/walk (jog 5mph) - I couldn't go any faster, 20 minute HIIT really takes all my energy.

Also if you want to burn more calories instead of 20 min HIIT you can go for 40 min interval training, not as intense as HIIT but as you can perform it longer, you will burn more. After lifting you could also perform aditional interval training, but only if you stop doing HIIT every other day.

so you can do this:

lifting 3 x week (for example monday, wed, fri), HIIT + low/medium intensity cardio 3x week (tue, thu, sat), rest day sunday
    or
    Lifting and intervals after lifting 3x per week (for example monday, wed, fri), resting other days

and ad some low intensity cardio (walking, swimming, leasure biking) on the top of that
  • sozzell
    Options
    Thank you all for your really helpful replies. Especially regarding lifting for different areas on different days (arms one day legs the next).

Re: doing HIIT and lifting on different days, unfortunately this isn't an option for me. I have found that I am still improving with weights even when I do them after HIIT, as I am still managing to increase the amount of weight over time so I am definitely getting stronger.
  • Lozze
    Lozze Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    Erm, no....not every day for the rest of my life. Nor do I ever intend on having 1 kid, let alone 10.

Anyone else?

Then yes it is too much exercise. Unless you're training for a sport specific event there's no need to work of twice a day. It overtaxed your body.

The kids example was just that an example. There are thousands of other ones I could have used. If you can't see yourself keeping up wih something long term then it's too muh for weight loss and/or fitness.
  • CallmeSbo
    CallmeSbo Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    I dont think its too much. Personally i peak 3times a year. But i do allow myself 2weeks of total rest twice a year. Thats usually In april and october. Your body will tell you if its too much.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for your really helpful replies. Especially regarding lifting for different areas on different days (arms one day legs the next).

Re: doing HIIT and lifting on different days, unfortunately this isn't an option for me. I have found that I am still improving with weights even when I do them after HIIT, as I am still managing to increase the amount of weight over time so I am definitely getting stronger.

You may well be getting stronger and I applaud your effort but you should still consider splitting the days. HIIT and Strength Training both affect the central nervous system and there should be some recovery between. You will get full benefit from both by splitting them. I see you say you can't and there may be some limitation causing this but it would be best if you could.
  • momof3and3
    momof3and3 Posts: 656 Member
    Options
    If you feel up to it, add in more...go for it!

I run 6 days a week (4 miles or more, my long runs are 9+, I mix my running up, long/short/fast/tempo/hills, etc...), and than take a fitness class after: kickboxing, kettlebells, crossfit, etc ( depending on what is being offered at gym) and than will go lift...I alternate areas of body that I "hit"...one day legs, another bi's and tri's another shoulders, etc...so mu lifitng time is short and intense....I average about 1.5 to 2 hours of total workout time

I have one total rest day a week, usually saturdays....

I find that if I am really exercising hard, I definatley need to eat more...if I feel totally exhausted I will cut back for a week or so and than go right back to my normal...
  • sozzell
    Options

You may well be getting stronger and I applaud your effort but you should still consider splitting the days. HIIT and Strength Training both affect the central nervous system and there should be some recovery between. You will get full benefit from both by splitting them. I see you say you can't and there may be some limitation causing this but it would be best if you could.

Only because I just don't think a weight session by itself will be much of a workout. My gym is a council owned/local authority one and the weights are very limited. The only free weights they have are dumbells. I use the weight machines such as lat pulldowns, leg curls/extention/press, chest press, adominal crunches....usually 4 sets of each x 8 reps. I just don't see how that by itself will benefit me more than doing it in a session with a bit of cardio. I am a bit thick though, so if you/someone could explain!!
  • Martucha123
    Martucha123 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options

Only because I just don't think a weight session by itself will be much of a workout. My gym is a council owned/local authority one and the weights are very limited. The only free weights they have are dumbells. I use the weight machines such as lat pulldowns, leg curls/extention/press, chest press, adominal crunches....usually 4 sets of each x 8 reps. I just don't see how that by itself will benefit me more than doing it in a session with a bit of cardio. I am a bit thick though, so if you/someone could explain!!

because if you do both, it means you are not pushing yourself enough
    HIIT is extreme exercise that should make you dead tired.
    You should perform high intervals at 90% of what your heart can do, anything less is just regular interval training, not HIIT.
    As for lifting, I use dumbbels only, but dumbbells in my gym go up to 30 kg (>60lbs) so it's pretty intense, I do full body rutine, 5 exercises, compund moves.

I would say that if you are trying to make best possible progress you need to rearrange your rutine, changing both HIIT and lifting to more challenging. Then you will understand that only lifting or only HIIT can be enough.
  • sozzell
    Options
    I don't have a heart rate monitor so I can't measure that aspect of it. I usually ha couple of mins to warm up and then do intervals of all out as fast as I can go for 45 secs to a minute, then a moderate walking pace for 1 1/2 mins to 2 mins and repeat.

Maybe it is more interval training than intensity interval training then?
  • MikeyD1280
    MikeyD1280 Posts: 5,257
    Options
    what I learned is that every BODY is different. But the truth for all BODIES is that everyone needs that rest time. Metabolism is what also burns calories, not just fitness. Fitness jumpstarts calorie buring, but if you eat right, you will boost your metabolism to burn calories even when you are watching t.v.
    So with your hardcore training days, make sure you give your body rest. It's the rest time that helps shape your body.
    And as for heart rate monitoring, I purchased a $30 watch at WalMart 2 years ago that monitors heart rate and calorie burn, a great investment.
  • lauraloo83
    lauraloo83 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    sorry to sound stupid but what does HIIT mean? I'm not an expert in the gym but my fella has a manual job and trains in martial arts 5 x 2.5 hours a week....everyone is different.

L x
  • MikeyD1280
    MikeyD1280 Posts: 5,257
    Options
    High intense, Interval training. sprint training for speed