Indian restaurant - chicken tikka masala?!

Options
Hi all,

Does anyone know the nutritional values for a chicken tikka masala from an indian restaurant?? I can't find any that seem accurate on the database!!

I'm having a treat meal on sunday (1st one in 2 weeks) and fancy a chicken tikka masala, with half pilau or plain rice and a garlic naan!!

thanks! xxx

Replies

• Maldivesbeachbodplease
    Options
    bump
  • Maldivesbeachbodplease
    Options
    Bump - anyone?!?!
  • kimberly702
    kimberly702 Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Have no clue... but it sounds amazing!! Only kinds of restuarants we have are fast food, Mexican and BBQ. Hope someone can help you out!
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Tikka masala is probably one of the worst choices calorie wise from an Indian menu! It's pretty rich and creamy, I'd say 700-1000 per portion, depending on the size, individual chef's recipe etc.

You could have it if you really wnat it, but just eat a small protion.

My favourite is anything with spinach (saag) or lentils (dahl)
  • douglasmobbs
    douglasmobbs Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    http://nutracheck.co.uk/calories/calories_in_takeaways/calories_in_indian_takeaway.html

Sounds very low, but I guess depends on the amount of oil they use
  • youlittlecharmer
    Options
    masala is full of yoghurt and cream so it's not going to be pretty, but worth it for a cheat meal! Here are links I've found with some nutritional info...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-1029480/Fancy-curry-That-days-worth-fat-average-woman.html
    http://www.weightlossresources.co.uk/calories/calorie_counter/indian_food.htm

"Curry
    Chicken tikka masala has become the British national dish. Well prepared, and served with vegetables, it is delicious and nutritious. But catering chicken is sold to restaurants "dry" or "pumped". Pumped chicken has had water injected into it, often with sugar and other additives, to bulk it up and keep it moist during reheating. The majority of fast food outlets use chicken with 10% or more added water. Unscrupulous ones use chicken pumped with 30-40% water and hydrolysed proteins to hold it in. A slightly spongey texture is the giveaway sign. Food colouring is frequently used in the place of traditional spices to colour the rice. Typically a meal like this also contains more than the total amount of salt recommended for a day, and the maximum daily allowance for saturated fat.

Chicken tikka masala, pilau rice, samosa and poppadoms:
    Calories 790
    Fat 36g, of which 23g is saturated fat
    Sodium 1,798mg"

from http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/2003/may/10/foodanddrink.shopping7

to make it healthier you could have chapatti/roti instead of rice and naan :)
  • Aperture_Science
    Aperture_Science Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    Indian Takeaway - Chicken Tikka Masala is in the database but I think the cals and macros look like a guess.

I'd use one of the supermarket ones (not a value or diet type... one of the finest range or upmarket) and put in 1.5 portions to account for the larger size at a curry house.

Try "Tesco Finest - Indian - Chicken Tikka Masala & Rice" x 1.5
  • ChristineS_51
    ChristineS_51 Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    Maybe put your own recipe into the recipe tool, and work it out that way? I LOVE Indian!

Try this site - it's Australian, but it might help http://www.calorieking.com.au/foods/search.php?keywords=tikka+masala&showresults=yes&go=Search
  • tmacmoto
    tmacmoto Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    Chicken Tikka Masala:

Per serving about 260-300 calories*.
    Sodium 680 --700 mg
    Carbs: 26-28g
    Protein: 18-19g
    Fat: 6-8g

*Per serving is much smaller than what you actually see on the plate which can be anywhere to 2-3 servings. Each recipe is different as well, so take that into consideration.

Bear in mind that the chicken itself will be cooked in a clay oven on a skewer, but it's the marinade that makes it take on more fat.
    The Masala in of itself isn't bad, but sodiu.
    As for rice and bread. I would nix it or eat in light moderation or you can go with the whole wheat roti bread as a compromise.

See if you can get the masala sauce on the side. Most Indian restaurants will/can do that.

You can always find a low cal version recipe on the web.

Hope this helps.
  • Maldivesbeachbodplease
    Options
    Wow!! thank you all! very much appreciated :) i think i will maybe stick to my chicken shaslik with chappati....much lower!! and even if it is a treat meal i don't want to go too mad!!

thanks all xxx
  • Aperture_Science
    Aperture_Science Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    Chicken Tikka Masala:

Per serving about 260-300 calories.
    Sodium 680 --700 mg

Bear in mind that the chicken itself will be cooked in a clay oven on a skewer, but it's the marinade that makes it take on more fat.
    As for rice and bread. I would nix it or eat in light moderation or you can go with the whole wheat roti bread as a compromise.

See if you can get the masala sauce on the side. Most Indian restaurants will/can do that.

Hope this helps.

There is no way a Tikka Massala from a restaurant is going to come in at anything under 400 cals. Tesco light (low fat, low cal) recipie is 400 cals per portion. Restaurants use more ghee (doubly clarified butter) and portions are typically larger.

Maybe this figure is for Chicken Tikka (without the massala sauce)?
  • MJ7910
    MJ7910 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    i ususally go for tandoori chicken for that reason, avoid the sauces if at all possible.
  • Maldivesbeachbodplease
    Options
    i ususally go for tandoori chicken for that reason, avoid the sauces if at all possible.

Yep i was going to have a tikka masala and say it's my treat meal but it's a bit too much (got a bikini to be in by september!). It will still be a treat as i normally cut out carbs after morning snack but i'll be having chapati and a popadom with my chicken shaslik! yum! xxx
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    I love tikka masala, but it's all creamy so I generally keep that one for a home made dish (although I haven't found any really great recipes) and order saag or paneer when I'm out. I do minimal rice and minimal naan but always feel cheated if I go without them.
  • KristyJoy123
    KristyJoy123 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I say if it's a treat meal, don't worry about it, but that's just me. One meal will never derail your goals. Go for an extra walk or add 30 minutes to a workout and you'll be fine. Also, chicken tikka masala is delicious. I'd pick Indian as my treat meal every day.
  • KristyJoy123
    KristyJoy123 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I love tikka masala, but it's all creamy so I generally keep that one for a home made dish (although I haven't found any really great recipes) and order saag or paneer when I'm out. I do minimal rice and minimal naan but always feel cheated if I go without them.

THIS!! Last time I went, I swore I was going to get NO rice and NO naan. I succeeded in skipping the rice, but had two small pieces of naan. I mean, come on, I'm not super woman.
  • thebigcb
    thebigcb Posts: 2,210 Member
    Options
    Tikka is pure badness.

Tomato based only Im afraid my lady.
  • tmacmoto
    tmacmoto Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    Chicken Tikka Masala:

Per serving about 260-300 calories.
    Sodium 680 --700 mg

Hope this helps.

There is no way a Tikka Massala from a restaurant is going to come in at anything under 400 cals. Tesco light (low fat, low cal) recipie is 400 cals per portion. Restaurants use more ghee (doubly clarified butter) and portions are typically larger.

Maybe this figure is for Chicken Tikka (without the massala sauce)?

Hey, I never said it was going to be 'good' chicken tikka masala! No proper curry house in the UK would ever serve something that bland, but as a general guideline...it's good to work to from.