Bikram Yoga... hot or not!!

Options
Hi!

Any Bikram yoga bunny's out there?

I want to lose 7lbs and need to de-stress as I suspect a large part of my weight issue is STTTRREESSSSS!!!

There is a hot yoga studio just round the corner from my office and I am tempted to try but it is a bit pricey so looking for advice or personal experiences

Has anyone on the forum tried bikram before.. if so is it any good for weight loss and how often would you recommend practising?

Best Wishes

Cat

Replies

• rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    I've never done bikram, but I go to a heated vinyasa class & love it. It is strenuous yet relaxing at the same time. I'm not familiar enough with bikram to know how the two would compare.
  • Shayyy01
    Shayyy01 Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    Hot yoga is probably my favorite workout!

I go to two classes at 2 different places, one is flow so its faster and the other is more balance and strength related! Personally i love it!

Hot yoga gets you loose faster so you get a deeper stretch!

Try it and see if its something you like. Not everyone likes hot yoga but i've heard more positive then negitive =)
  • aprileigh27
    aprileigh27 Posts: 37
    Options
    I love it, they say if you do it 3-4 times a week you will definitely loose weight. I usually do it once a week sometimes twice.....its super hott but if you get there 20 mins before class starts and sit in the room you give your body a little time to adjust....First class SUUUCKS! but you feel amazing after! you should totally try it!
  • CleanandLean33
    Options
    Cool thanks folks.... I'm booked in and can't wait now :-)
  • Ckiers
    Ckiers Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I haven't gone yet. But I bought a package off of livingsocial.com or you can also sign up for groupon.com. They always have deals for different yoga classes around my area atleast.
    i got one for 10 classes for I think 30 bucks....which is a great deal! I have 2 friends who go and love it
  • farmfreshv2
    Options
    Personally, it's a love-hate relationship that I have with Bikram. :) It's HARD, but you'll love yourself for going. Over the course of your practice, all kinds of things will come to the surface. I took my first class back in 2006---I felt euphoric afterwards. Lots of life has happened between then and now, but I seem to always veer back to Bikram. As far as weight loss is concerned, I dropped close to 10 pounds while doing a 30-day challenge. 3X/week is my maintenance routine. I hope you love it, too! :)
  • SalubriousGyrl
    SalubriousGyrl Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Hi!

Any Bikram yoga bunny's out there?

I want to lose 7lbs and need to de-stress as I suspect a large part of my weight issue is STTTRREESSSSS!!!

There is a hot yoga studio just round the corner from my office and I am tempted to try but it is a bit pricey so looking for advice or personal experiences

Has anyone on the forum tried bikram before.. if so is it any good for weight loss and how often would you recommend practising?

Best Wishes

Cat

Hell Yessssss! You will sweat your butt off during Bikram and if you do it x3 a week, it might help with your seven lbs. You would have be to insane to do this daily, but it is so relaxing and enjoyable. Try one class and you are sold!
  • SalubriousGyrl
    Options
    I love it, they say if you do it 3-4 times a week you will definitely loose weight. I usually do it once a week sometimes twice.....its super hott but if you get there 20 mins before class starts and sit in the room you give your body a little time to adjust....First class SUUUCKS! but you feel amazing after! you should totally try it!

I concur about the first class. But you will feel so good at the end!
  • SalubriousGyrl
    Options
    I haven't gone yet. But I bought a package off of livingsocial.com or you can also sign up for groupon.com. They always have deals for different yoga classes around my area atleast.
    i got one for 10 classes for I think 30 bucks....which is a great deal! I have 2 friends who go and love it

Ditto! It was 35 for 10 classes for me! great deal!
  • popat89
    popat89 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I do enjoy a good bikram yoga class. However I find there are two major downsides to bikram yoga. One, as you mentioned, it's expensive. Two - from top to bottom bikram yoga takes about 3 hours out of my day. Driving to class, the 90 minutes I spend in it, and then the drive home and then you have to shower and get ready afterwards so even a 6 am class is impossible before work and a 6 pm class after work means I don't have time to get in any cardio.

Don't get me wrong - I LOVE bikram yoga and it feels amazing to get through a class. Mentally I love it. Did it transform my body? No... and I did it every single day for a month.

Also, about losing weight with bikram yoga... I don't think you lose real weight with bikram yoga. They claim that you burn like a thousand calories in a session but I don't buy it.

To sum it up: For losing weight - I don't think it really works. For mental peace and clarity - I think it's awesome!
  • nofattrish
    nofattrish Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I started Bikram yoga 2 weeks ago and was hooked after my first session. I'm in the UK, and most places seem to do an introductory price of £30 for 30 days unlimited. I've been trying to go 3/week which is what was recommended. I am using it to help with weightloss alongside limiting calories - don't have an answer yet as to whether it's helping or not.

I think after my 30 days, I'll drop to 1 or 2/week due to the cost and put in some other form of exercise such as off road cycling.

Hope you enjoy(ed) your first class!
  • cjv428
    cjv428 Posts: 124
    Options
    I love both Bikram yoga and general hot yoga classes. My only recommendation would be to drink a ton of water throughout the day before you go because if you drink too much water during the class (and you will if you're dehydrated), it can make you very, very nauseous during the class (especially during poses like camel).
  • emilyjmcg
    emilyjmcg Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    First class will totally kick your butt, but definitely worth a try!
  • pachamb
    pachamb Posts: 52
    Options
    Bikram Yoga is amazing! Yes it is pricy (around here it is 20 a class and 150 for a month) but if something improves your mental and physical health I think its worth all the money in the world. I can say that going to class for not to long now I am a better person. I am happier I feel stronger and more in control of me. I love bikram yoga I have never found something so amazing. I would also not recomend fforming your opion just on the first class cuz that one is a killer go once more.
  • barbaradilisio
    Options
    It's something I've always wanted to try because I think it could really help with my (lack of) flexibility. I currently take a regular yoga class once a week and really enjoy it, but would like more. If you're concerned about price, you could try looking for deals on Groupon or Living Social. I see a lot of yoga studios offering discounted rates for it.
  • KelliW_runner
    KelliW_runner Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I too struggle with the time commitment. However, nothing beats bikram for balance and full body stretching/compression. My upper back seized up on me earlier this week so I had hardly any range of motion in my neck. I figured it would be time to revisit the bikram studio after a year of not attending. Tuesday night - class was difficult due to range of motion but it helped some. Wednesday night - therapeutic massage on back and neck. Thursday night - another bikram session. Feel great now and no chiropractics necessary.

I wouldn't build a weight loss program just on bikram. I think a balanced program should have some cardio and some strength training. Other forms of yoga work strength a bit more than bikram. (Vinayasa for example)
  • CaraColleen
    CaraColleen Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I am currently doing a hot yoga 30-Day Challenge right now and am on Day 12! I love it! It is time consuming and a bit expensive, but when you leave class, that feeling you get is totally worth it. My skin is baby soft, I feel in harmony with myself and my muscles have definitely grown. It is my new hobby, and I consider it "me time."

As for weight loss, I am really unsure if it is a good exercise. Some people swear by it. Some people even say you can burn 800 calories a session. I have lost 5 pounds in the last 12 days, but I am also doing 40 minutes of cardio 4 days a week and dieting. Not sure if the yoga is helping with it, but it is definitely not hurting it.

I am able to do my cardio work outs, though, much better. I don't get short of breath and my muscles are stronger for a more intense work out. In conjunction with other exercises and dieting, I think it works. By itself, I don't think it's the best way to spend your time if you want a big weight loss. I was expecting this to be almost a miracle workout, but it definitely is not.

And most importantly, DRINK WATER! Good luck :) I will add you for support!
  • kleverkira
    kleverkira Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Bikram is great exercise, but I echo what a lot of other people have said over here. I use it primarily as cross-training from my primary sport of running. The first class is brutal and frustrating, but you'll have a MUCH better experience with your second class. It's also LONG. I would recommend going to a certified Bikram studio, not just "hot yoga".
  • LadyQueefsalot
    LadyQueefsalot Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    it's amazing and SO worth the money! I've been going for 7 months several times a week and it's changed my like! Currently on Day 5 of the 45 day challenge- give it three classes and you will be addicted!
  • perfect10isha
    perfect10isha Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I used to go pretty religiously back in the day and absolutely LOVED it. It does a little getting used to but you will feel wonderful when you finish. I don't know if I lost more weight or inches, but either way make sure you are hydrating yourself before and after class. And its extremely important that you focus on form when in the class and breathing properly is also highly important. If you are eating at a deficit you'll lose weight whether you do the yoga or not.