Is it ture ? Calories deficit = fat loss -- Question

Options
Someone said to me in passing that I would need to cut 3000 Calories a week to loss one pound of fat.
So, I googled the idea and found this:

"To lose weight: To take off 1 pound per week, you need to create a "deficit" of 500 calories per day. You can do this by eating 250 fewer calories a day (for example, cut out a 20-ounce bottle of regular soda) and burning an extra 250 calories through physical activity (for example, walk for 2.5 miles). Another way to cut back on calories is to watch your portion sizes."

Should I trust this ? Does anyone have more material to back this up ?
Lastly, my feeling is that cutting 3000 calories with exercise out dosn't make any more sense than burning 3K on the treadmill without changing my diet. I'm I right ? Right now I'm focused on using the eliptical at the gym as many time a week as I can and really staying on top of my food intake. I'm hoping that I hit my targets over the next couple of months I will be able to put more time into strength building in my upper body.

Any and all input feedback etc welcome.
Thx in advance.

Replies

• wahmx3
    wahmx3 Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    A pound is equal to 3500 calories but to say that if you eat 3500 fewer calories in a week you will lose a pound, is not necessarily the case. There are too many factors that can change.
  • RachaelT76
    RachaelT76 Posts: 26
    Options
    My dr told me to go online and figure out my resting calorie burn rate, and eat around that much everyday and I will lose weight.
    Try that. It takes time. And to be able to eat more...excersise!
  • joejccva71
    joejccva71 Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options
    Yes 3500 calories = 1lb of fat while 600 calories = 1lb of muscle.

Just because you eat a 500 calorie a day deficit doesn't mean it's all going to be fat. You need to eat 1g of protein per lb of LBM as well as incorporating a sound weight resistance training program and lift heavy to help RETAIN LBM while dieting.

It also depends on the body composition, weight, height, and sex of the individual that is dieting.

You can't just say eat a 3500 calorie a week deficit for everyone, especially if the person is already somewhat lean or is a small person. Now for a big (obese) individual then yes that would be fine, but I always tell people to find out their TDEE first which is their maintenance calories in a 24 hour period, and THEN eat a 20% calorie deficit.

That is good enough with consistency, dedication, and training to lose weight, burn fat and as long as they eat their protein minimums and weight train..they will retain as much LBM as possible.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,025 Member
    Options
    Theroretically correct, but weight loss isn't linear. Eating less than you have in the past, getting some exercise, and making adjustments going forward will be less complicated and easier to understand than the pages of math equations that basically boil down to the same thing.
  • Tourney3p0
    Tourney3p0 Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    Almost everything you said is correct. However, the number is 3500 and not 3000.

Burning 3500 calories exercising or eating 3500 fewer calories will both result in the same fat loss. You'll have some other negligible weight loss factors like water retention and muscle fluctuation, but these numbers are insignificant to the point where they can be ignored for your purposes.

This of course ignores the other benefits to cardio. Since we're solely talking about fat loss, it's safe to do so.