Should I set my weight goal for according to the BMI calc?

Options
The BMI calculator says I should weigh approximately 180lbs at my heaviest according to my height and weight. I was in the army and weighed in at 240 at my heaviest weight. I always taped out and passed my PT test. However, I'm now looking at my overall health for my future and I wonder if I should attempt to drop down to 180lbs. 60lbs seems like so much weight to me that it really seems impossible. I am muscular with a solid build and was shooting for 240 then decided that maybe 225 was the bottom line that I could see actually happening. I am very active and love to work out. I also love to eat too!! Suggestions?

Replies

• patvan1234
    patvan1234 Posts: 2
    Options
    why not try for 25# now and see how that does
  • Jugie12
    Jugie12 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    Ah, see BMI isn't always the best way to go. I know a dude that is 6'6" and weighs in at about 260-270. The BMI calc says he is obese - but the dude is trim and is an athlete with quite a bit of muscle. Obviously, he doesn't put much stock in the calculation, lol

It'll depend on a lot of factors, but mostly you -you know yourself better than anyone or any calculation!
  • bbriscoe13
    bbriscoe13 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    BMI does not take into account muscle mass. Maybe you can talk to your doctor and he could point you in the right direction. I'm not really sure how they come up with those numbers? If you feel comfotable and you are eating right and exercising, I would think being a little over BMI wouldn't hurt you?? But, I am not a doctor or a nutritionist so, yeah, I would probably talk to one of those people haha. Sorry if this isn't too helpful.
  • ColleenRoss50
    ColleenRoss50 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    You don't have to pick an ultimate goal now. You could pick a higher weight goal for now, say 225, and then evaluate how you look and feel when you get there before deciding whether or not you want to lose any more weight.
  • gpstrucker
    gpstrucker Posts: 930 Member
    Options
    I agree that consulting with your doc to determine your healthiest weight is the way to go. Body fat percentage is a more accurate measurement for someone who has a lot of muscle mass than is BMI so that would probably be a far better determiner for you.
  • mitchmp2005
    Options
    Thanks so much for the info and suggestions!! I really like this site alot.