low fat salad dressing...help!

GAJulie
GAJulie Posts: 8 Member
My favorite salad dressing is Maries Blue cheese. I have started the 17 day diet and eating more salads and have tried several different dressings, low fat ranch, no fat/sugar raspberry viniagrette, basalmic viniagrette....just can't stomach them, and have started eating my salads without dressing at all. Is there any low fat dressings that aren't tart, or aren't sickeningly sweet, that could be comparable to my beloved maries? ;)

Replies

• neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,144 Member
    The 17 day diet is about low carb, not low fat. Personally I need some fat when I'm eating a salad whether it's from oil, cheese, aioli, etc. A little fat helps with the absorption of some vitamins as well. imo
  • Bmontgomery613
    Bmontgomery613 Posts: 200 Member
    Bolthouse farms makes some delicious low-fat dressings that are made from yogurt. I absolutely love their ranch dressing. :)
  • SouthernArt77
    SouthernArt77 Posts: 223 Member
    If you like ranch, make your own. Use Hidden Valley Ranch mix, 2% milk, and reduced-fat mayo, and you'll have a low-fat ranch dressing without that wang that bottled "light" dressings have. Two tablespoons is only 48 calories if made with Hellman's reduced-fat mayo.

Bottled light dressings I like are Newman's Own light balsamic vinaigrette and Newman's Own light sesame ginger.
  • dward2011
    dward2011 Posts: 416 Member
    I really like the low fat or fat free dressings from Kraft. I have about 7 different varieties in my fridge. :happy:
  • jcb1958
    jcb1958 Posts: 24 Member
    If you like Mexican food, try Marzetti's fat free Southwestern dip. It is in the fresh veggie department - creamy, a big spicy. I've also found using bottled Thai Peanut Sauce to be great on salads. It has a spicy, smoky taste that really jazzes up food.
    Jacquie
  • SirZee
    SirZee Posts: 381
    Check my diary for yesterday, that dressing makes the salad taste awesome, costs 30 cal.
  • I make my own salad dressing with a little olive oil, lemon/lime juice and salt and pepper. I love it!
  • temp666777
    temp666777 Posts: 169
    I've lost something like 80 pounds in less than a year, and I eat a HUGE amount of fat.

You've touched on the greatest controversy of the day .. the whole "low carbohydrate" aspect of dietary science.

I encourage you to read "Why we get Fat" by Gary Taubes and "Life without bread" by Dr. Lutz.

You may find that it is a mirage trying to eat low fat.

A fascinating "soundbite" -- your HEART, for goodness sake, runs ONLY on fat, nothing else.

1) Protein -- makes your body build n repair

2) Fat -- what your body runs on. Like oil and petrol for a car. the primary, central, ingredient of health

3) Carbohydrates -- incredibly bad for you. Your pancreas/insulin system exists to "reject" any small amount of carbohydrates you may "accidentally" eat. In modern times, we eat huge amounts of carbohydrates. This is the simple reason everyone is fat and sick.

As I say, i personally went from Alfred Hitchcock to Kate Moss, eating a mammoth amount of fat every day.

A typical "sauce" for me is like a pound of butter, melted on top of everything :) I eat three times a day the heaviest sauces, bechamel, hollaindaise, bearnaise, etc etc. And the fat fell off my body.

it's something to consider - read the books!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • bethanylaugh
    bethanylaugh Posts: 237
    skinnytaste has the BEST blue cheese dressing I've ever had... living in buffalo we use blue cheese and frank's on just about everything and this recipe has been amazing!!
    http://www.skinnytaste.com/2010/04/low-fat-creamy-blue-cheese-dressing.html
  • bump
  • k2charmed4u
    k2charmed4u Posts: 282
    How about Greek Olive Oil mixed with freshly chopped Garlic, basil, mint, Lemon Juice, Lemon Zest and Oregano. It's a lovely zesty yet earthy taste all at the same time and tastes delicious on seafood and chicken salads.

Also if you add some white wine vineagar to the above ingredients marinade some chicken in it over night and cook it it makes a tasty stirfry. :happy:
  • meg7399
    meg7399 Posts: 672 Member
    I am unsure of the dressing you love and how others compare. I love Wishbone Light Ranch...the thing to remember though is too look for low fat and not fat free. Fat Free usually has MUCH more sugar added. Also, I use A LOT of full fat dressings. I just stick to the actual 2 tablespoon serving size. Dressings become dangerous when people just pour it on everything and pay no attention to portions and serving size
  • bethanylaugh
    bethanylaugh Posts: 237
    ps... i'm a former marie's fan. i don't know if i like the skinnytaste one better, but i haven't missed maries since i started eating it! i make mine with red wine vinegar and the stella reduced fat blue cheese crumbles and it removes another 10 calories per serving. :-)
  • AmyLRed
    AmyLRed Posts: 856 Member
    try salsa, guacamole, or greek yogurt as a salad dressing. They are yummy!!!
  • jaxbeck
    jaxbeck Posts: 537 Member
    My favorite salad dressing is Maries Blue cheese. I have started the 17 day diet and eating more salads and have tried several different dressings, low fat ranch, no fat/sugar raspberry viniagrette, basalmic viniagrette....just can't stomach them, and have started eating my salads without dressing at all. Is there any low fat dressings that aren't tart, or aren't sickeningly sweet, that could be comparable to my beloved maries? ;)

I am in love with the Maries greek Vinaigrette! Prolly doesn't help you lol it's 12 grams of fat per serving :bigsmile:
  • beanerific518
    beanerific518 Posts: 152
    I love love love Fat Louie Oil Company Cinnamon Pear balsamic vinegar. My go-to salad at home consists of field greens, spinach, brocoli slaw, feta or goat cheese, dried fruit such as cranberries or apricots, chopped nuts like walnuts or pecans, balsamic vinegar and just a tiny bit of ranch (like less than a teaspoon).
  • jaxbeck
    jaxbeck Posts: 537 Member
    Fat Free usually has MUCH more sugar added. Also, I use A LOT of full fat dressings. I just stick to the actual 2 tablespoon serving size. Dressings become dangerous when people just pour it on everything and pay no attention to portions and serving size

This! You will never see a fat free or low fat dressing on my salads. The sugar is much worse for you than the fat IMO
  • brismom070897
    brismom070897 Posts: 178 Member
    bump
  • GAJulie
    GAJulie Posts: 8 Member
    The 17 day diet is about low carb, not low fat. Personally I need some fat when I'm eating a salad whether it's from oil, cheese, aioli, etc. A little fat helps with the absorption of some vitamins as well. imo

Yes, it's low processed carbs but under condiments it says to use low fat salad dressing.
  • LemonsAndCoffee
    LemonsAndCoffee Posts: 313 Member
    If you like salsa you can put that on salads to give it a little "oomph." Sometimes I take plain greek yogurt and mix it with Hidden Valley dry ranch packets to make my own ranch. I found a tomato with vidalia onion dressing by a company called Braswell's (it comes in a reusable carafe) that has good stats and I love it. HTH!