Scale Number Differences Day and Night

Options
Bumdrahp
Bumdrahp Posts: 1,314 Member
SO- I read everywhere and hear everywhere that you should weigh in IN THE MORNING after using the bathroom, and before breakfast. if this is true I would be recorded around 3-4 lbs more weight loss. HOWEVER.. when I weigh myself at night, I gain those 3-4 lbs back, so I haven't recorded it. I would feel guilty recording that number knowing that every night for about 4 nights that number goes back up. I'm not exactly sure if anyone else has ever had this issue? or if you should just record it? Pretty unsure about it. I know the scale is just a number and you shouldn't base all your loss on just a scale, but I do like to record my weight loss. Any input would be appreciated :flowerforyou:

Replies

• elrickis1337
    elrickis1337 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    the big thing is weighing yourself around the same time every time wether its morning or night
  • HelloDan
    HelloDan Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    Record your weight at the same time in the same conditions over a period of time. As long as everything remains the same, you will see the change.

Also day to day you can see fluctuations for various reasons, you will only start to see the real trend after a longer duration of time. For this reason, I only tend to weight myself weekly, and I look at the general trend rather than the individual number.
  • BeautyAndTheGeeks
    Options
    Do you actually believe that you gain/lose 3-4lbs of fat every day/night?
    When you weigh in in the morning after using the bathroom and before eating you are weighing yourself at your true weight. When you then add food and liquids to that, it adds weight.
    When you weigh a bowl and then put your cereal in it, the bowl doesn't become heavier itself, it just has something in it making it heavier for a short period of time. It's the same for your body. Stop weighing in so often, you'll drive yourself mad.
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    Weighing yourself in the morning is a better way of getting an accurate representation of what you really weigh because your weight is not affected by the day's water retentioin.
  • Siannah
    Siannah Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    It doesn't matter when you weigh yourself, as long as it's done at the same day/time. Why would you weigh yourself twice-daily? Just stick to once, or once a week even.
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    The most important thing is to weigh yourself at the same time every day. Yes, you will weigh less in the am than in the pm. If you've always been weighing at night, continue to do so as that will reflect your true loss. If you're just starting, pick a time that is most convenient for you. I pick am because well, it makes me feel better LOL. I usually fluctuate 1 to 2 lbs. a day between am and pm.
  • glenoakchic2006
    glenoakchic2006 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    record the number in the morning at night your body has not digested the food you have eaten all the way, plus you are more than likely retaining water. Because I have a lot of weight to use my doctor said pick one day a week I weigh in on Mondays and after I go to the bathroom weigh myself and that will be the closest to your true weight. depending on what you eat in a day you gain gain 4 lbs by that night but the next morning when you wake up you can have lost that 4 lbs again. hope this helps
  • Bumdrahp
    Options
    Um, no i dont believe I am gaining and losing 3-4 lbs of FAT lol. I think it could be a variation of things. Not fat. I know weather, water intake, and food can make a lot of changes in your body. I do weight myself at the same times every day. Right before work, and right before bed.
  • Yellow_Hat
    Yellow_Hat Posts: 1
    Options
    I would take my morning reading as my base weight. Then I would record any weightloss based on that number only 'weighing-in' once a week again in the morning. Fluctuations happen throughout the day/week and that is why it is best to keep away from the scales if possible until your nominated weigh-in day.
  • greasygriddle_wechnage
    greasygriddle_wechnage Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    most accurate, in the morning, after the bathroom. even more accurate, once a month a week after your period. i swing 2 to 3 pounds per day. i actually just lost 4 pounds of water weight due to DOMS. don't get caught up in that nasty thing called "scale". :flowerforyou:
  • zoodalia
    zoodalia Posts: 294
    Options
    Weighing yourself in the morning is a better way of getting an accurate representation of what you really weigh because your weight is not affected by the day's water retentioin.

This. My weight ranges in the evening depending on what I've eaten, how much, how much water I've drank, what I've done, what I've not done. Weighing in the morning makes much more sense to me!
  • dirty_diana
    dirty_diana Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    The important thing is to weigh yourself at the same time each time. Most people "gain" a couple of pounds through the day, it's the food and drink you've consumed and not gotten rid of yet. Weighing yourself in the morning ensures that conditions from day to day are as consistent as possible, so the number on the scale will be most accurate.
  • Annie_Fannie
    Options
    When you weigh in in the morning after using the bathroom and before eating you are weighing yourself at your true weight. When you then add food and liquids to that, it adds weight.
    When you weigh a bowl and then put your cereal in it, the bowl doesn't become heavier itself, it just has something in it making it heavier for a short period of time. It's the same for your body. Stop weighing in so often, you'll drive yourself mad.

Took the words right out of my mouth! ..... Hide the scale if you have to!
  • Bumdrahp
    Options
    I am new lol. I weigh myself all the time because I do, and that's it. I KNOW I shouldn't, but that doesnt stop the fact I do. it would make more sense not to, but curiosty always gets me. I always end up on the scale anyway.
  • pinkupooh
    pinkupooh Posts: 155
    Options
    you need to take weight once a week in the morning after cleaning your bowl and before eating anything. At night it will show more as everything you eat all day would add up. However, if you are losing then sametime 1 week later, you should see difference. Keep it up.
  • Bumdrahp
    Options
    Thanks guys.. I do appreciate any input. I guess it's safe to say I can record my 3-4 lb weight loss. I know food can take into account, but I was unsure because that food is still in my body ( sometimes) the morning after.
  • lovemykids58
    lovemykids58 Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    The important thing is to weigh yourself at the same time each time. Most people "gain" a couple of pounds through the day, it's the food and drink you've consumed and not gotten rid of yet. Weighing yourself in the morning ensures that conditions from day to day are as consistent as possible, so the number on the scale will be most accurate.

This
  • Bumdrahp
    Options

Took the words right out of my mouth! ..... Hide the scale if you have to!

I really wish I could hide my scale.. it DOES drive me mad lol, but I really can't help myself. I have a lot of weight on me so, everything counts to me. It's not healthy to obsess but, I kind of do.
  • Bumdrahp
    Options
    :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :heart: Thanks all!
  • KristyJoy123
    KristyJoy123 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I know people scold for weighing daily or even 2x daily, but I don't think it's the end of the world as long as you realize what's going on. Like everyone has said, the scale is going to fluctuate a lot depending on the day, the time of the month, etc. I can "gain" up to 5 pounds in one day. Like others have said, your true weight (without water retention, food, etc.) is what you weigh in the morning, after the bathroom, before breakfast. You're not "cheating" by recording that weight rather than the higher weight before bed, because it's most likely your true weight.