Tracking strength training in the exercise log

Options
I tried searching on this topic to make sure it hadn't been discussed/resolved anywhere and I couldnt' find it - if the answer is already out there, sorry! Just point me in the right direction :)

Having said that - I started strength training/circuit this week, and was so excited to load my exercises into MFP. Well, I can track reps/sets/weight lifted, but it doesn't show a calorie burned. Is this normal? I wanted to see this, even if it's generic because I acknowledge that the calories burned can be different for different folks, but a baseline would have been great!!

So when I add this stuff, it doesn't adjust calorie intake. Anyone have any thoughts??

Thanks a bunch!
Sass

Replies

• mommyof2gr8kids
    Options
    I was wondering the exact same thing. I didn't see anywhere that it counted up how many calories were burned either. I'd like to know the answer to that also.
  • js370
    js370 Posts: 140
    Options
    In the "Cardiovascular" section under the exercise tab... search for strength training.
  • tifalva
    tifalva Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    I may have it wrong, but when I do strength training I log each movement under the strength training part then I go to the cardio section and log it under calisthenics for a calorie burn. If I'm sweating I'm burning something and that was the closest I could find to matching what I was doing.
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    It doesnt add calories under the strength training section. But you can add it under the cardio section (though you'll have to make a rough estimate, as it varies so much from perso to person)
  • row_rivers
    row_rivers Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    hello,

you're going to have to log out your time strength training as cardiovascular work. you'll have to make your own exercise for it to. you can get a heart rate monitor to have a more accurate baseline. if a heart rate monitor isn't in the cards right now, try this website

http://www.healthstatus.com/calculate/cbc

my only problem with it is that it doesn't ask for your gender (which can play a big role in how many calories burned). but it's a base line!

so log it out as your own exercise under cardiovascular work.

hope this works for you!
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    Yeah, what everyone else said. :tongue: LOL I typed too slow.
  • sassypoppet
    sassypoppet Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Thanks gang - that's what I did end up doing last night - loading all the strength stuff, and then going under cardiovascular for calories burned etc... it would just make sense (and be nice) to be able to track it with the strength and/or be able to add the projected calories with the rep/sets/weight section if I'm going to go to the trouble (aka take the time) to load it all up :)

Nonetheless, thank you!!
  • ready2tryagain42
    Options
    If you have a HRM--you can you can track the calories burned from strength training. I have done it that way in the past. You don't burn a lot doing strength training (not like cardio).
  • JBApplebee
    JBApplebee Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    Tracking strength training on MFP is sadly limited. You can't break it down by exercise if you do a different number of reps in each set. I prefer to use Jefit.com (the have an app for that also) to track my strength training & then input the calories burned on MFP.
  • MsFargo
    MsFargo Posts: 27
    Options
    My approach is to log food eaten, cardio and weight training. While the weight training doesn't log calories burned, I just call those burned calories "bonus". In other words, if I live within my calorie means and I show the calories burned in the cardio section, any calories burned above and beyond that are a "bonus" ...if I'm losing weight based on counting calories and tracking cardio, is it that important that I also track calories burned by weight lifting? For me, it isn't. Just my two cents.
  • Jph6701
    Jph6701 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I use a HRM best investment I have made recently and log a New exercise in cardio Called Cals Burned Strengh log it in there.
  • Abells
    Abells Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    Thanks gang - that's what I did end up doing last night - loading all the strength stuff, and then going under cardiovascular for calories burned etc... it would just make sense (and be nice) to be able to track it with the strength and/or be able to add the projected calories with the rep/sets/weight section if I'm going to go to the trouble (aka take the time) to load it all up :)

Nonetheless, thank you!!

It would be but that's life ha. I post all my reps under my exercise notes for the day that way i can view it easier :)
  • Dreamweaver_5107
    Dreamweaver_5107 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Yah I noticed that the exercise database is not what the food database is either...not much point in tracking it if it doesn't count the calories...
  • FrugalMomsRock75
    FrugalMomsRock75 Posts: 698 Member
    Options
    If you have a HRM--you can you can track the calories burned from strength training. I have done it that way in the past. You don't burn a lot doing strength training (not like cardio).

This isn't necessarily true. It depends on how much effort you put into it. Yesterday, according to my HRM, I burned 165 calories doing 20 minutes strength, and I followed that with 20 minutes on the treadmill at 12% grade, 3.9 MPH, and I burned 169 calories in 20 minutes...

I love my HRM. I just make my own exercise, and then I take my own notes on reps/weight in my iPod.
  • jammasterduggs
    Options
    In the "Cardiovascular" section under the exercise tab... search for strength training.

or weights
  • wisebadger53
    wisebadger53 Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    My approach is to log food eaten, cardio and weight training. While the weight training doesn't log calories burned, I just call those burned calories "bonus". In other words, if I live within my calorie means and I show the calories burned in the cardio section, any calories burned above and beyond that are a "bonus" ...if I'm losing weight based on counting calories and tracking cardio, is it that important that I also track calories burned by weight lifting? For me, it isn't. Just my two cents.
    ^ This is my approach too...and it works for me!
  • KeepGoingRhonda
    KeepGoingRhonda Posts: 527 Member
    Options
    I put mine in cardio
  • maryruiz2685
    maryruiz2685 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I was really frustrated about this but the truth is that the only way to get an accurate account of how much you're burning is get a heart rate monitor with a calorie tracker on it. I just purchased a Polar hr monitor and it is the BEST investment I've EVER made. I've seen some startling info from it. for example, the watch tells you whether you're in fat burner mode or fitness improving. I have seen that after my cardio when i do strength training it is mostly fitness improving but when i do it before my cardio it is ALL fat burning. something to think about. You definitely burn less calories during your circuits but you continue to burn more calories throughout the day where as you completly stop after your cardio session. after my workout, I log in my calories burned but I put them under cardio because otherwise it won't get logged in but I make a note of all the weight training i did. I highly recommend you get a hr monitor. we all burn calories differently and i think you'll be excited to see what's really going on. It's also a way of challenging yourself to do more next time. :)
  • jjjcjw
    jjjcjw Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I have been doing Zumba and I can't find where that is able to be logged either? any suggestions on that?
  • Tori_356
    Tori_356 Posts: 510 Member
    Options

Really...READING is on this list...who would even track that as exercise? It says I would burn 78 calories reading for an hour. So, If I'm on the elliptical AND reading.....Do I burn more calories?