For those who have done 5k's

Options
I am intending to sign up for my first 5k since I've started running. I'm so nervous, and I'm trying not to get too hung up on the fact that I am a slow runner. I don't consider what I do running - more like jogging. I know speed comes with time, and I just need to keep at it. Right now, it takes me just about 40 minutes to do a 5k. I don't think that is horrendous for someone who just started running in January of this year, but I don't want to feel dumb being one of the last ones to finish. So, my question is - with my pace, do you think I would be close to the middle of the pack or finishing at the end? What I am doing is a fun run - not a technical race, and there will be all speeds of people out that day.

Replies

• LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    I just ran my first 5k and finished at about 37 minutes....shaving 5 minutes off my last practice time! :)

You will definitely be in the middle with that pace. There were a lot of people walking in the 5K I did, and there were a ton of people running/jogging at about the same pace as me.

Whether it's a 7 minute mile, or a 14 minute mile....it's still a mile! Go for it and have fun!!!
  • MUALaurenClark
    MUALaurenClark Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    Hey there...first of all, I love your username :)

I remember it took me 45 minutes to run my first 5k, and that was mostly jogging, partly walking, even the "walker" groups were passing and beating me! I will say, however, that registering for more 5ks was the key in my success in training. I loved having a goal that I was working toward, whether that be distance, or trying to beat my time.

Don't be nervous, you'll probably be slow the first time, but who cares? It just gives you a time to beat for your next 5k!

I used to be a runner, then stopped, got pregnant a few times, got really out of shape, and now I just started working out and running again. I've been looking online for 5ks to register for as motivation!
  • sjdaubs
    sjdaubs Posts: 7
    Options
    Hi I'm Sandi. I'm not a runner, but more of a slow jog type person. I absolutely love doing 5ks. It's just long enough to get in a quick workout & feels awesome when you cross the finish line! I've been on a few that have more hills than others and have to mentally talk myself to keep jogging no matter what the pace. I don' t know if you are a fan of the Biggest Loser show, but that's what keeps me movtivated. I picture the contestants running a marathon. If they can do that, I can surely jog a 5K!

Don't be nervous about your first one, after all you are there for you and nobody else. Be proud you are doing it! If you can get a buddy to run with you, it will be even more fun. Once you finish, you will want to do more. Check out www.runningwall.com for more races in your area.

Keep up the running & don't worry about the pace. The more you run, you will be pleasantly suprised with the increase in pace. Good luck & have fun!
  • Gilbrod
    Gilbrod Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    Yeah, don't worry about time. Just get it done. My first 5k, I did it in 38:33. That was with 3 months of running. One year later,I ran a 10K in 51:03. So it does take time. Just don't quit. I always added .2 more miles each week. Keep at it. You'll definately get there.
  • tigeratty
    tigeratty Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Hi there, I am a slow runner too, always have been. Around 38 for a 5K. The hardest thing for me is remembering not to start out too fast. You get in that big group of people with tons of adrenaline and it can be hard to keep your pace. I have done this so many times, started out too fast and then I have struggled at the end. It also helps if the race has each mile marked off so that you know whether or not you are at the right pace. The smart thing to do is to clock the race path in advance so that you can visualize .5, 1.0, etc (miles or km, whichever you prefer).

I find that actually signing up for the race forces me to keep to my training schedule.

And most of all, have fun and wear the tshirt w/pride!
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    I've been running for 15 years and never got near 30 minutes for a 5K, nor have I been last in a fun run (though I have in a 10K, more on that later!). Depending on the size of the race, there will be walkers, run-walkers, people with buggies etc. and the last finisher will in all probability take longer than an hour.

Take a look at this article I wrote for Runner's World back in 2005 about coming last in races (inspired by when I did). Check the box-out at the end where I got finish times for different distances and race size - it's very reassuring! Running has become even more inclusive since then and you'll get an even wider variety of finish times.

http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/beginners/nice-guys-and-girls-finish-last/2075.html
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    I just did my first 5k race last weekend and I had a blast. I have been running for a year but still very slow. Do it, have fun.
  • 416runner
    416runner Posts: 159
    Options
    Pretty well every race I've ever been in has had walkers, so if you're running it and finishing 40 minutes-ish, I doubt you will be last (and even if you are, you finished!). You could also try googling the name of your race and "results" to see previous years' results and get a sense of the range of finishing times.
  • therealangd
    therealangd Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    My time for my first 5k race was 42 minutes and some change. I came in about 1200 of 2000 people.

ETA: I was last place in my 10k race I did in February. I beat the half marathon winner by about 10 seconds. LOL.
  • IRun4Me_12
    IRun4Me_12 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Thank you all so much for your encouragement! I know I shouldn't worry about the time too much since what really matters is that I'm doing it.

I think I need to actually register for a race to give myself something to work for, as I've been slacking on the training lately :)
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    For your first 5K there is only one goal, crossing the finish line with a smile on your face.
    Completing a race will always be a personal triumph, and coming last can’t fail to be memorable. After all, aside from first, second and third, last is the only place of note up for grabs.

http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/beginners/nice-guys-and-girls-finish-last/2075.html
  • RunHardBeStrong
    RunHardBeStrong Posts: 33,069 Member
    Options
    Definitely in the middle! I did my first last fall and my practice time was around 40 minutes. When I did the actual race I came in at 34 something, ended up placing 3rd for my bracket! I just wanted to finish any place but last never expected to win a place/prize! The adrenaline kicks in and seeing everyone else running/jogging/walking will push you to go harder! Good luck and most important have fun!
  • ipsamet
    ipsamet Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    For your first 5K there is only one goal, crossing the finish line with a smile on your face.

This is so true!

But, I understand your fear. I just did my first 5k a few weekends ago. I did it in 38 minutes and I was ahead of about a third of the people, so you definitely will be closer to the middle! And honestly, when you get across the finish line with everyone cheering you on you will be on the top of the world no matter WHAT your time is. I can't recommend doing a race enough, they are so much fun and a great goal to work for! I already have three more lined up.
  • jlbay
    jlbay Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    You won't be anywhere near the end at that pace. Plus, I always ran faster 5k times at races - the adrenaline and crowds help carry you through.

There will be a huge variety of ability at your typical 5k charity/fun run. Relax and enjoy - it really is fun!