Quiting Smoking, going to kill someone!

Options
Okay, its been 6 days, and i think today i might snap! I need some encouragment that I can do this. Does anyone have any tips? What do you do when you feel like killing a coworker? I used to smoke.....I really want to quit this time! HELP!!!!!!!!!!

Replies

• stormieweather
    stormieweather Posts: 2,550 Member
    Options
    From about days 5-14, its really rough. After being short tempered for a few days, I started feeling depressed in general. Keep telling yourself that, just for today, you are a non-smoker. That nothing anyone ELSE does has so much power over you that you HAVE to go have a cigarette.

When people really got on my nerves at work, I went and slogged up and down a few flights of stairs. I also used my Ipod and stayed to myself as much as possible until I felt more 'human', lol.

Good luck!! YOU can DO this!!
  • kimss
    kimss Posts: 1,146
    Options
    I used the commit lozenges and they really helped with that. other than that, just walk away and take some deeep breaths. go out like you used too, but hold a pensil instead and just do deep breathing exercises. that is the best advice I have. good luck.
    try the lozenges, if you do , just cut the lozenge in half and only use it when you really need it, you don't need to use as many as the directions say either. My hubby and I both quit in 3 weeks on the same container. it costs us 40$ all together.
    The company that makes them really goes overbaord on the dosing , in my opinion.

Good luck and only kill the ones that really deserve it :laugh: :laugh:
  • sdwillis35
    sdwillis35 Posts: 40
    Options
    Hey neeneleigh! I know things are tough when you quit. I quit back in April and have been smoke free for 3 months now. I used the patches to help me. I also used the Breathsavers wintergreen mints and popped one in my mouth if I got a craving. You don't know me But I'd be glad to give you some support when needed. Just holler at me....I'll listen!
  • Ileanak
    Ileanak Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    go for a walk...... that is what my husband did when he was going through the same thing.

he would go outside and walk around the building once, then go back in~

Good luck! You can do this!!
  • Bella151
    Bella151 Posts: 123
    Options
    There is a great thread that started on here called the No Smoking Group. You should check it out- and don't give up, I know it sux now, but you will be glad you stuck to your guns and didn't give into the urges!
  • DFoether
    DFoether Posts: 8
    Options
    I started chewing gum and I keep toothpicks with me. It helps me, keeps my mind off of the smokes and the frustration of being at work.

You can do it. Keep telling yourself why you want to quit. Reminding yourself of the benefits keeps you motivated.
  • CrystalT
    CrystalT Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    I just kept telling myself that whoever was ticking me off wasn't worth me giving up all my hard work. I'm also fortunate enough to be able to put in my headphones and listen to my music loud enough to drown out everyone else. I have some high energy "angry" music that I'll play. After a little while, I'm back under control.
  • AZWildcatnNC
    AZWildcatnNC Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    It's been awhile since I quit but I agree with what pp have said - get up and walk - even if it's to go to the water fountain or around the building, a change of scenery will do you good and help to distract you slightly from the cravings.

Good luck! You can do this! :flowerforyou:
  • Jennyryan21
    Jennyryan21 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I quit in March and I used lollipops :) Just the Airhead kind because they are small and about the same weight... kinda felt the same in my hand (weird, I know... but it worked). When my temper snapped (which was A LOT) I'd go read or if I got that anxious feeling I'd go for a walk or RUN stairs (It's hard to be mad at someone when you're trying not to bust your *kitten*). Good luck, it's a hard road, but so worth it! :flowerforyou:
  • neenaleigh
    neenaleigh Posts: 584 Member
    Options
    Thanks Everyone! I made it past the craving and i think i might use the walking/ jogging up stairs! I have found that excercising makes it easier cause you are so out of breath you couldnt imagine inhaling! Thanks again! I think i will check out that Non smokers group.... Usually by day 7 i give up, but im really trying this time...i want to be healthy and not worry about lung cancer.... THANKS AGAIN! YOU HAVE ALL BEEN A BIG HELP! I LOVE MFP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • kmg621
    kmg621 Posts: 11
    Options
    You can do it! Don't give in...the cigarettes don't actually "fix" anything! Get busy to get your mind off of it...the urge WILL pass!!! That's what always helps me! :smile:
  • neenaleigh
    Options
    You can do it! Don't give in...the cigarettes don't actually "fix" anything! Get busy to get your mind off of it...the urge WILL pass!!! That's what always helps me! :smile:

Thank you. I just ate lunch and eating always makes me want one, but i am chewing my gum now instead!...........MMMMMMmmmmmmmmmm Watermelon Spring!
  • Man_loosing_weight
    Options
    I have stop smoking now for more than 8 years. I smoked because I liked it and I stop because I wanted to. Here is what I used to motivate me.

Success is not an accident. It is the result of our attitude and our attitude is a choice.
    Hence success is a matter of choice and not chance.
  • Learning2LoveMe
    Learning2LoveMe Posts: 1,430 Member
    Options
    Congrats on quitting smoking. The first week is really hard, but you're almost through it!! Hang in there, you can do it! After this week it will get MUCH much easier... keep that in mind.

Deep breaths, walking, pretty much everything others have said works. Always remember, a craving only lasts 5 minutes (feels like forever I know, but if you can keep yourself busy for 5 minutes you are all set!). Another trick I learned, if you cut a straw in half (or use a whole one) and hold it like you normally would with a cigarette and inhale air through the straw.

I know the feeling of wanting to strangle someone when you quit (before I quit I would smoke so I wouldn't strangle someone haha). I struggled a lot with this after quitting... but I found when I get angry going for a walk really helps clear my mind and put me in a better, happier mental state - or I'll jump in my car (or anywhere else where nobody is around), put on a couple songs and crank up the volume and yell and scream the lryics. It helps get the aggression out, and utilizes your newly improved lung power :wink: :laugh:

Hope this helps! Hang in there, you can do it!! :flowerforyou:
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    It can be done- as hard as it seems. I quit smoking about 15 years ago cold turkey, and never had so much as a puff since then. Believe it or not, I still craved it for about 10 after I quit- but only at certain times like after I ate fast food. People psych themselves down for failure when they're trying to quit smoking, because they don't believe they can really do it, but it's completely doable.

No more nasty old cigarettes, right? :smile:
  • mkwood10
    mkwood10 Posts: 428
    Options
    I've never smoked, but my husband went cold turkey and was a royal pain in the @$$ for about 3 weeks, but it was well worth it. He carried peppermints with him - went thru tons of peppermints in that first month:laugh: :laugh: I remember he'd get up and walk out of the area he was in when the cravings hit - he'd get up and go outside in mid-conversation..... thought it was really strange until he explained that change of scenery and situation helped.

Just remember, if you're at 6 days, the toxins are starting to leave your body and that's why you feel so lousy at times.

Good luck - you CAN BEAT THIS!! :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • neenaleigh
    Options
    Still havent smoked! I wanted to and so i re-read all of your posts! This has been a tremendous help, seeing the progress on the ticker makes me feel like i have already accomplished something. (its also nice to see a ticker move, unlike my damn weight loss one!)
  • Learning2LoveMe
    Learning2LoveMe Posts: 1,430 Member
    Options
    Good job! You are definately accomplishing something... better health! Check out these stats:

20 minutes after quitting: Your heart rate and blood pressure drops.

(Effect of Smoking on Arterial Stiffness and Pulse Pressure Amplification, Mahmud, A, Feely, J. 2003. Hypertension:41:183.)

12 hours after quitting: The carbon monoxide level in your blood drops to normal.

(US Surgeon General's Report, 1988, p. 202)

2 weeks to 3 months after quitting: Your circulation improves and your lung function increases.

(US Surgeon General's Report, 1990, pp.193, 194,196, 285, 323)

1 to 9 months after quitting: Coughing and shortness of breath decrease; cilia (tiny hair-like structures that move mucus out of the lungs) regain normal function in the lungs, increasing the ability to handle mucus, clean the lungs, and reduce the risk of infection.

(US Surgeon General's Report, 1990, pp. 285-287, 304)

1 year after quitting: The excess risk of coronary heart disease is half that of a smoker's.

(US Surgeon General's Report, 1990, p. vi)

5 years after quitting: Your stroke risk is reduced to that of a non-smoker 5 to 15 years after quitting.

10 years after quitting: The lung cancer death rate is about half that of a continuing smoker's. The risk of cancer of the mouth, throat, esophagus, bladder, cervix, and pancreas decrease, too.

(US Surgeon General's Report, 1990, pp. vi, 131, 148, 152, 155, 164,166)

15 years after quitting: The risk of coronary heart disease is the same as a non-smoker's.