Do not eat fruit or veg - What can I eat ?

Options
I know it sounds mad but I dont eat any fruit or veg. For as long as I can remember I have never liked any fruit or veg. In school I tried hard to eat it without bringing it back up, due to peer pressure (there was a health campaign in my school and everyone went fruit mad).
They say five a day, I probably get five a year.
I eat veg in soup e.g vegtable soup. And i drink fruit juices (no bits).
I tried smoothies but the 'bits' put me off.
My friends are all very healthy, in my group of friends there is an age range of 17-42. They all eat salads cause thats 'free food'.
I'm trying to lose 17 lbs that I gained due to medication.
Is there anything very low in cals and carbs that I can eat ?

Replies

• Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    Maybe healthy eating and weight loss isnt for you.

Fruits and veg are the best way to get essential vitamins and minerals.
    Youll have healthy skin and shed fat if you have proper nutrition.

2 cups of veg a day and 2 whole fruits!

Multi vitamins wont cut it.
  • rides4sanity
    rides4sanity Posts: 1,269 Member
    Options
    Sometimes you have to be will to change if you want to see results. Sure you can lose weight and not eat well, but you'll not be fit, you'll just be smaller (which may be the goal). Decide what you want and make a plan and a decision to work toward it.
  • mellymassacre
    mellymassacre Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I appreciate your comment but Im not really up for being unhealthy and chubby :L
    Im sure there must be something, but thank you anyway :D
  • mtaylor33557
    mtaylor33557 Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    Have you tried a wide variety of fruits and vegetables? Not everyone likes salads.. but you could try other veggies, if you like vegetable soup, they you could start by trying to eat some of the vegetables out of that. Green beans, carrots, corn, etc.

Then maybe just go to the grocery store and try things you've never tasted before, or try cooking them in a different way.

I just have a hard time wrapping my mind around not liking any vegetables.. even when I wasn't eating healthy, it was my favorite type of food.
  • mayerel
    mayerel Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    Multi-vitamins are a good way to start, but do you know why you don't like fruit or veg? Surely you haven't tried them ALL! Maybe you could try to try one new thing a week.

Do you have texture issues with food? I do...I don't eat beans or mushrooms for that reason.

Also, make sure the fruits and veg are ripe and really ready to eat, they taste the best then!
  • delikium
    delikium Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    you could make veggie soup and then put it in the blender. add some yogurt or so.
    it will look like baby food.
  • artbkward
    artbkward Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    I find it very hard to believe that you can't eat any fruit or any vegetable prepared any number of different ways . It may take some experiementation in cooking but you will eventually have to find a way. You don't have to like them all but if you want to lose weight it's time to grow up and eat like an adult.

Also, salads are absolutely not free food. It is very easy for a restaurant to throw 1000+ calories on top of lettuce.
  • Helloitsdan
    Options
    I appreciate your comment but Im not really up for being unhealthy and chubby :L

figure out whast fruit and veg are the least likely to throw you from the wagon.

I eat entire bags of peas and broccoli and what not.
    Some days, rest days, ill throw butter in it.
    As for fruit, bananas, strawberries, avocado, grapes, apples etc...etc...etc...
  • mtaylor33557
    Options
    Or you could cook them with your meat to maybe get the flavor.. like roast, carrots, red poatoes, celery, and onions.. That changes the flavor a little, and it's an easy crock pot meal...
  • BronnersHarris
    BronnersHarris Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    Do you think it's taste that stops you eating or the texture/feeling? I only ask because you mention 'bits' in juices. There used to be a show on TV about extreme eaters - people who really did live without any fruit/veg and some who just lived on crisps (chips)!! They used a lot of different ways to introduce veg and fruit.... a lot of which I actually followed with my son (who for 2 years only ate white foods - sensory issue). It might be worth researching something like that and looking at ways to slowly introduce fruit and veg into your life.

Otherwise, grate or puree veg and put that in things like sauces for pasta.

What do you currently eat? Might be easier to come up with ways to make them healthier? xx
  • NovemberJune
    NovemberJune Posts: 2,525 Member
    Options

IMO you cannot be healthy without eating vegetables. But you can lose weight. Just count your calories, aim for a small deficit since you don't have much to lose, exercise, and be patient. :0) Eat chicken, beans, nuts, breads, whatever you DO like. But if you don't want to be unhealthy, you should really find a way to change your hate for veggies and fruits! good luck :)
  • skullik
    skullik Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Your issue with vegetables sounds like it is more a texture thing than a taste issue? If you eat vegetables in soups there are tons of healthy recipes you can make! Just puree the veggies, there are so many different flavor options there must some you can work with. Same goes for the smoothies, you could puree them more so there are no bits. And don't use berries and things that have seeds. It is best to get in a big whack of raw fruit and veggies everyday, but pureed in soups is better than nothing at all. It is also possible to change your preferences, although that is a slow process. My diet today doesn't resemble the way I ate in my teens or early twenties and I now love things that I thought I hated. It is all in slowly getting used to new, healthier foods and finding ways that you like to prepare them.
  • mtaylor33557
    Options
    Do you think it's taste that stops you eating or the texture/feeling? I only ask because you mention 'bits' in juices. There used to be a show on TV about extreme eaters - people who really did live without any fruit/veg and some who just lived on crisps (chips)!! They used a lot of different ways to introduce veg and fruit.... a lot of which I actually followed with my son (who for 2 years only ate white foods - sensory issue). It might be worth researching something like that and looking at ways to slowly introduce fruit and veg into your life.

Otherwise, grate or puree veg and put that in things like sauces for pasta.

What do you currently eat? Might be easier to come up with ways to make them healthier? xx

I'd be interested in knowing some of these techniques. My son has never been diagnosed with sensory issues, but he is extremely picky about textures. Especially meat. Sometimes he could go days without eating meat. He also has a issue with other textures like mashed potatoes, etc.
  • Simone_King
    Simone_King Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    Have you tried drinking V8 splash?

Just a sugestion. I get a bottle every once and a while. Then experiment with your furits/veggies. Not everyone will like the same thing.

I loath sprussel sprouts. Parents love them.

My mom loves spinage. I don't.

There are many ways to eat veggies. I love them steamed.

Then like most people said. Salad isnt for everyone.
  • s00sh
    s00sh Posts: 91
    Options
    you might want to try something like the Athletic Greens supplement. here's a review: http://www.athleticgreensreview.com/athletic-greens-review-an-honest-review/
  • mellymassacre
    Options
    Have you tried a wide variety of fruits and vegetables? Not everyone likes salads.. but you could try other veggies, if you like vegetable soup, they you could start by trying to eat some of the vegetables out of that. Green beans, carrots, corn, etc.

Then maybe just go to the grocery store and try things you've never tasted before, or try cooking them in a different way.

I just have a hard time wrapping my mind around not liking any vegetables.. even when I wasn't eating healthy, it was my favorite type of food.

i may try cooked carrots, that sounds like something i could stomach. i'll also look for low call soups.
    everyone has a hard time understanding, it quite an odd habit.
  • LindaCWy
    LindaCWy Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    How do you not have scurvy?
  • 75Juniper
    75Juniper Posts: 376
    Options

I started doing this about a year ago. I'd pick one thing each week in the produce department that I had never had before. Then I would go online to see what I could do with it. Sometimes I didn't like it, and it ended up in the trash. But more times than not, I found a new food to add to the rotation. You never know if you really don't like something until you try it.

I'm not a veggie fan, and I don't care for lettuce, so when I make a salad, I usually leave it out but put all kinds of other veggies in it. I also roast vegetables a lot. Carrots, broccoli, potatoes, sweet potatoes, corn, onions, brussel sprouts - they taste so much better with a little char on them. Drizzle with some olive oil, add a little salt and pepper or some red pepper flakes...yum!

I suggest going into it with an open mind and just start trying things. Then, once you find a few foods you do like, work them into your day. And you don't have to start with getting 5 servings right away. Work up to it - aim for one serving each day for a week, then two, etc.

ETA: Do you like spaghetti? Tomato sauce is a vegetable. Look for lower sugar varieties.
  • Helloitsdan
    Options

i may try cooked carrots, that sounds like something i could stomach. i'll also look for low call soups.
    everyone has a hard time understanding, it quite an odd habit.

Do you have an eating disorder?
  • mellymassacre
    Options
    Have you tried drinking V8 splash?

Just a sugestion. I get a bottle every once and a while. Then experiment with your furits/veggies. Not everyone will like the same thing.

I loath sprussel sprouts. Parents love them.

My mom loves spinage. I don't.

There are many ways to eat veggies. I love them steamed.

Then like most people said. Salad isnt for everyone.

I'll look into V8 splash, dont know If its widely available where I live because I've never seen it but I'll have a look.