Too Much Exercise?

Options
I've calculated my calories to be a bit over 1500, with "Moderate Activity" working out 3x-5x a week.

I have a desk job. Sedentary. But when it comes to getting home, i'm a machine most days.

Monday- Friday i'll do p90x, or JM 30 Day Shred, Zumba, or Yoga (and i'll do easily 45 min- 1 hour)

Saturdays and sundays, i either go lift at the gym and then run for 20 minutes when i get home or i just run those days.

Theres weeks where im not AS active but im still getting in at LEAST 3x's workouts with the same amount of time working out.

My question is, am i screwing myself up by working out TOO much? is there such a thing? I'm trying to lose fat (got another 30lbs to go)

Replies

• Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    Shoot for 3-5 times a week and have 2 full rest days.

If cutting calories low i would stick with 3 days a week.
  • JenAiMarres
    JenAiMarres Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    "STOP WHAT YOU ARE DOING. As difficult as it may be since you are overwhelmed by your body's stubborn refusal to respond to an increasingly demanding workout schedule and stringent diet, you must REST. Take off a week or two. Eat sensibly. Sleep more. Overtraining has altered your body's hormonal balance, wreaking havoc on your adrenal glands and insulin levels, as well as your body's ability to fall into deep cycles of sleep. Restoring this balance will improve mood and brain functioning. "

I got this quote from this article...

http://www.shapefit.com/overtraining-exercising-too-much.html

Its a good read, and may not work for everyone...but seriously..it was just what I needed...I have been taking it easy for just a few days..the lbs are coming off again, and I feel REVIVED!

CONGRATS girl on your 71 lbs lost so far! you are awesome!
  • ATLMel
    ATLMel Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    I think this completely depends on how you are feeling. I've had streaks of over 100 days where I've run (minimum 3 miles) every single day and felt great. I've had other times where 3 days of working out and I'm craving a break. I do think that one FULL day of rest is great. It has dramatically increased my energy and my fat loss is a little bit faster.

Overall, listen to your body, see how you feel and notice your recovery time. And experiment a bit. You won't find what works for you without a little trial and error.