What to eat the morning of a 5k race.

Options
morandanny
morandanny Posts: 18 Member
I am running in my first 5K race on Sunday. Are there any suggestions on what to eat the morning of the race or even the night before?

The race starts at 10AM.

Replies

• wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    Options
    Same thing you eat before any of your other runs. You don't need to worry about "carb-loading" or eating anything special for a 5K since it's a short distance. If you have eggs and toast normally, have that. If you have a bowl of cereal normally, have that. The best general rule for any race though, is to never do or wear anything on race day that you haven't already trained with. You will already have a whole new mix of nerves, excitement, and adrenaline swirling around, no reason to add anything to the mix that could cause discomfort or unexpected results. :)

Personally, before my 5K, 7K, and 10Ks, all I had was a 24oz bottle of water an hour before the race and a Luna Bar around the same time and it was plenty for me for those distances.

It wasn't until I started getting up into longer distances I found I needed more fuel and water before getting out and running.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Same thing you eat before any of your other runs.

Yep, this. :smile:

Just pretend it's a normal exercise run, relax and enjoy yourself. And if you're anything like me, you'll want to use whatever restroom facilities are available before the run. Nerves make me have to pee. :blushing:
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    Same thing you eat before any of your other runs.

Yep, this. :smile:

Just pretend it's a normal exercise run, relax and enjoy yourself. And if you're anything like me, you'll want to use whatever restroom facilities are available before the run. Nerves make me have to pee. :blushing:
    Thirded. Word to the wise, changing ANYTHING from your normal routine at the last minute can be a recipe for disaster :blushing:

The only thing I'd add is if you have a long journey (have to get up at 5 or whatever) that leaves you with a much longer gap between breakfast and run than normal, have a mid-morning snack like an energy bar.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Breakfast :)
  • MassiveDelta
    MassiveDelta Posts: 3,311 Member
    Options
    Fruit loops and cold pizza...or whatever you normally eat
  • GasMasterFlash
    GasMasterFlash Posts: 2,206 Member
    Options
    Just make sure that you poo thoroughly before the race!
  • IronmanPanda
    IronmanPanda Posts: 2,083 Member
    Options
    The same thing you eat every day Pinky.
  • gseburn
    gseburn Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    "Thoroughly" LOL
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    "Thoroughly" LOL

Well, you don't want to do a half hearted job of it....
  • Kamikazeflutterby
    Kamikazeflutterby Posts: 775 Member
    Options
    "Thoroughly" LOL

Great, I really needed to picture someone hiring a personal trainer poo coach...
  • GasMasterFlash
    GasMasterFlash Posts: 2,206 Member
    Options
    "Thoroughly" LOL
    Exactly! Poo with heart before the race, so you don't have to poo in a bush during the race.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I would have major anxiety if I didn't have a good poop before a race.
  • morandanny
    morandanny Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    "Thoroughly" LOL
    Exactly! Poo with heart before the race, so you don't have to poo in a bush during the race.

I appreciate all the advice. This has gone down an unexpected path though.
  • enewsome2
    enewsome2 Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    "Thoroughly" LOL

LOL! Agreed. I apprieciate this post and the advice as well. I just managed to run 1.3 miles earlier today (longest distance with best time yet! Whoo!) and am training for a 5K. I am *very* new to running. Love the advice, and love that I'm not the only one starting out. Best of luck to all you other "noobs" out there! :D
  • AmyEm3
    AmyEm3 Posts: 784 Member
    Options
    I ate a bowl of oatmeal and a drank a cup of coffee before mine b/c that's what I usually eat 4 or 5 days of the week anyway.
  • Runs4Wine
    Runs4Wine Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    Yes, eat what you normally eat.
    Wear what you normally wear (don't try anything new)
    Drink what you normally drink

No reason to change your pattern just because it's a race. I remember how intimidated I was by my first race, but just get there early to pick up your bib (if you haven't done so already) and give yourself time to warm up/stretch and to use the bathroom. (the bathroom tip is no joke)
  • amh1974
    amh1974 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    COFFEE - it makes me go. Yes # 2 - sorry, TMI but you don't want to have to stop in the middle of the race!!!

My regular breakfast but nothing too heavy and eat at least 2 hours prior to the race. I actually like PBJ on whole wheat.

Oh, and HYDRATE!!!
  • alikat42
    alikat42 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I like to run fasted.
  • chusheto1
    chusheto1 Posts: 29
    Options
    "Thoroughly" LOL

Just found the best abs exercise... reading your posts and LOL
  • amybg1
    amybg1 Posts: 631 Member
    Options
    Honestly? Have whatever you usually have before your runs, never eat, use or wear new equipment on race day! And yes, if you want to be lighter go for a dump before you run...If your race is later in the morning/day, have a snack max 1 hour before your race but make it food you've already eaten pre-run so you know how your stomach will react.

I used to have cereal, with low-fat milk and a banana 1-2 hours pre-race - now though I've changed it to oatmeal with fruits such as banana, strawberries mixed in